In a dual processor environment (Intel Xeon) how are processes sequenced?
Are both processors utilized simultaneously or does one do all the work,
until its operating at 100% and whatever is left over spill over to the next
one. I realize that this may not be enough information. Can you specify
which processes use which processor or is it a software/hardware dependent
feature? Any insight would be appreciated, or personal experience.

both processors will be used at trhe same time.
some operating systems will not support dual processors though. Windows XP
pro will suppoer dual processor but home edition will not.

"Friendly" <derekthestud@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In a dual processor environment (Intel Xeon) how are processes sequenced?
> Are both processors utilized simultaneously or does one do all the work,
> until its operating at 100% and whatever is left over spill over to the
> next
> one. I realize that this may not be enough information. Can you specify
> which processes use which processor or is it a software/hardware dependent
> feature? Any insight would be appreciated, or personal experience.

Both the OS and the individual application may determine which CPU handles a
particular process. The CPUs will generally be somewhat balanced, but a
single-process app may take up one CPU, leaving the other doing almost nothing
(e.g., Outlook Express).

SMP aware apps (e.g., PhotoShop) assign different tasks/processes within the app
to different CPUs.

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote...