USB Mouse cause's audio visual problems

I narrowed down a choppy sound and video problem to my Microsoft Optical
Wireless USB wheel mouse. When I have my old PS2 mouse connected everythings
fine but with the new USB mouse is plugged in, any music or video played is
very stuttery.
All my other USB devices (cable modem and printer) do not affect it in any
way.
I have XP with all latest updates (SP2), does anyone know a solution they
could share with me? and yes I know using my old mouse would solve my
problems or even a USB to PS2 adapter but that's not the answer I'm after.
Please reply to group.
Many thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about mouse cause audio visual problems

    It would have been of greater help if you had specified what type of video
    card and sound card you are using. Now, we can only give you general
    guidelines to fix this.

    1) Always try to use the latest drivers for your video card, sound card and
    mouse. Get the latest drivers from the manufacturer's web site(s) and never
    rely on Windows Update for driver updates.

    2) If the video card, and sound card, are part of the motherboard (i.e.:
    on-board video, AC'97 sound), also install the latest chipset drivers.

    3) For VIA chipset based motherboards, you may need to add the USB filters
    updates.

    4) If the video card and sound card are "add-on" cards (AGP or PCI), never
    place them side by side (if possible.) Also, if the video card is AGP, do
    not place the sound card in the PCI slot directly next to the AGP slot.
    This PCI slot usually shares motherboard resources with the AGP slot.

    5) If all the above mentioned "suggestion" do not work for you, try getting
    a USB A - USB A extension cable and "move" the mouse receiver away from the
    PC.

    "Nancy" <saucynancy@worzels.con> wrote in message
    >I narrowed down a choppy sound and video problem to my Microsoft Optical
    >Wireless USB wheel mouse. When I have my old PS2 mouse connected
    >everythings fine but with the new USB mouse is plugged in, any music or
    >video played is very stuttery.
    > All my other USB devices (cable modem and printer) do not affect it in any
    > way.
    > I have XP with all latest updates (SP2), does anyone know a solution they
    > could share with me? and yes I know using my old mouse would solve my
    > problems or even a USB to PS2 adapter but that's not the answer I'm after.
    > Please reply to group.
    > Many thanks in advance.

    Sorry about that, yes the sound and graphics are onboard and it is an AC'97
    soundcard, I remember from when I downloaded newer drivers hoping that might
    cure the mouse problem, the graphics is SIS and I've downloaded latest
    drivers for this too. How do I tell if I have a VIA chipset? Bit of a novice
    here.
    Many thanks

    > It would have been of greater help if you had specified what type of video
    > card and sound card you are using. Now, we can only give you general
    > guidelines to fix this.
    >
    > 1) Always try to use the latest drivers for your video card, sound card
    > and mouse. Get the latest drivers from the manufacturer's web site(s) and
    > never rely on Windows Update for driver updates.
    >
    > 2) If the video card, and sound card, are part of the motherboard (i.e.:
    > on-board video, AC'97 sound), also install the latest chipset drivers.
    >
    > 3) For VIA chipset based motherboards, you may need to add the USB filters
    > updates.
    >
    > 4) If the video card and sound card are "add-on" cards (AGP or PCI),
    > never place them side by side (if possible.) Also, if the video card is
    > AGP, do not place the sound card in the PCI slot directly next to the AGP
    > slot. This PCI slot usually shares motherboard resources with the AGP
    > slot.
    >
    > 5) If all the above mentioned "suggestion" do not work for you, try
    > getting a USB A - USB A extension cable and "move" the mouse receiver away
    > from the PC.
    >

    > "Nancy" <saucynancy@worzels.con> wrote in message
    >>I narrowed down a choppy sound and video problem to my Microsoft Optical
    >>Wireless USB wheel mouse. When I have my old PS2 mouse connected
    >>everythings fine but with the new USB mouse is plugged in, any music or
    >>video played is very stuttery.
    >> All my other USB devices (cable modem and printer) do not affect it in
    >> any way.
    >> I have XP with all latest updates (SP2), does anyone know a solution they
    >> could share with me? and yes I know using my old mouse would solve my
    >> problems or even a USB to PS2 adapter but that's not the answer I'm
    >> after.
    >> Please reply to group.
    >> Many thanks in advance.

Mice USB Windows XP