Passing 2.28 GHz on a 2600 Barton?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hello all, I've got an NF7-s, XP 2600 Barton with HyperX PC3500 ram.
Currently running 190x12 @ 1.725, 2-3-2-6 @ 2.7. Coolings done with a
ThermalRight ALK-947U with a 80mm Tornado. Temps around 40C under load, but
what is there, if anything, I can try to pass the 2.3 Ghz I'm at now? If
anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

OD2rileec wrote:

> Hello all, I've got an NF7-s, XP 2600 Barton with HyperX PC3500 ram.
> Currently running 190x12 @ 1.725, 2-3-2-6 @ 2.7. Coolings done with a
> ThermalRight ALK-947U with a 80mm Tornado. Temps around 40C under load, but
> what is there, if anything, I can try to pass the 2.3 Ghz I'm at now? If
> anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

More voltage.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

More voltage where? Should I up the FSB or the multiplier? Should I change
ram voltage?
"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> OD2rileec wrote:
>
> > Hello all, I've got an NF7-s, XP 2600 Barton with HyperX PC3500 ram.
> > Currently running 190x12 @ 1.725, 2-3-2-6 @ 2.7. Coolings done with a
> > ThermalRight ALK-947U with a 80mm Tornado. Temps around 40C under load,
but
> > what is there, if anything, I can try to pass the 2.3 Ghz I'm at now?
If
> > anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
> >

> More voltage.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

more voltage to help with higher FSB.. its the only way it will go faster.

NuTs

OD2rileec wrote:

> More voltage where?

Processor Vcore: for the thing you're trying to overclock more.

> Should I up the FSB or the multiplier?

FSB, since the memory can handle it.

> Should I change
> ram voltage?

Why? It's well within it's speed rating.

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>OD2rileec wrote:
>>

>>>Hello all, I've got an NF7-s, XP 2600 Barton with HyperX PC3500 ram.
>>>Currently running 190x12 @ 1.725, 2-3-2-6 @ 2.7. Coolings done with a
>>>ThermalRight ALK-947U with a 80mm Tornado. Temps around 40C under load,
>
> but
>
>>>what is there, if anything, I can try to pass the 2.3 Ghz I'm at now?
>
> If
>
>>>anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
>>>

>>More voltage.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Final question here, I've got the FSB to 195 with a vcore of 1.8v but whats
the safest vcore with air cooling? Are there other factors I should be
concerned about? The -12v's been rather erratic sense the latest change.
Thanks for everything!!

rob wrote:

> Final question here, I've got the FSB to 195 with a vcore of 1.8v but whats
> the safest vcore with air cooling? Are there other factors I should be
> concerned about? The -12v's been rather erratic sense the latest change.
> Thanks for everything!!

The "safest Vcore" is the Vcore it's specified to operate at.

If you have good cooling it should be able to handle 1.85, though.

"rob" <od2rileec@TAKEMEOUTyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Final question here, I've got the FSB to 195 with a vcore of 1.8v but
whats
> the safest vcore with air cooling? Are there other factors I should be
> concerned about? The -12v's been rather erratic sense the latest change.
> Thanks for everything!!

It depends on your temperatures - this is what does the real damage not the
vcore - but you have a top quality heatsink and fan - so I would not at all
fussed about putting the vcore to 1.85v - and cranking it higher if you can

I find so long as diode temperature on full load is under 55C I have no
problems at 1.85v on a barton 2500+ and have run it for long periods at 2.0v
to get 2500mhz - this was on a standard coolermaster HAC-V81 which is rated
to 2800+ and costs about £5.

So as long as your thermal protection in the bios and software is set to
something useful, and you keep a close eye on the temperatures using
software such as MBM5 you should not run into any problems, but just for
example I treat 60C as my upper limit and do not let temps get too far above
that.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Understand the temp issue, I do, but using Winbond Hardware Doctor v2.7 at
my current speed under 100% load I see occasional drops in what's labeled
"+12V" can anyone please explain? Plus under long stress tests I will
smell something "funny" from the rear exhaust fan. Other than that she's
extremely stable.

od2rileec wrote:
> Understand the temp issue, I do, but using Winbond Hardware Doctor v2.7 at
> my current speed under 100% load I see occasional drops in what's labeled
> "+12V" can anyone please explain? Plus under long stress tests I will
> smell something "funny" from the rear exhaust fan. Other than that she's
> extremely stable.

Well, that sounds like you're overloading the power supply.

"od2rileec" <od2rileec@nospampleaseyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Understand the temp issue, I do, but using Winbond Hardware Doctor v2.7 at
> my current speed under 100% load I see occasional drops in what's labeled
> "+12V" can anyone please explain? Plus under long stress tests I will
> smell something "funny" from the rear exhaust fan. Other than that she's
> extremely stable.

Something somewhere is using power - the +12v and +5v rails are connected in
the power supply (except maybe in really good psu's) and an electrical load
is either being put on/taken off the +5v rail which is causing the +12v to
fluctuate - or there is a direct load on the +12v rail. This load may be
something like the computer using it's swap file and moving hundreds of
megabytes about, or a component starting up and stopping due to power
saving. PSUs do sometimes fluctuate - there are prescribed limits of 10%
tolerance for the +12v rail. However, by overclocking the cpu you are
increasing the power consumption in the cpu by several watts - this also
draws on the +12v rail.

If the smell is a sort of electrical burning smell - it is fairly obvious
what it is - something somewhere is getting rather hot - if your psu is
functioning as a miniature fan heater, then you are overloading it and it is
probably just a matter of time before something (windings) give up the
struggle - when I first seriously overclocked my Barton 2500+ I killed a
cheap 300w psu in about 10 minutes - it was throwing out lots of heat - but
no smell. I would not recommend anything less that a 400w psu - but this
depends on what you have in there - eg lots of hard disks and optical drives
and monstrous graphic cards all take power.

Have you worked out what your loading is on the psu - there are a couple of
calculators out on the web that can work out what power you are
using/maximum demand. These days it is common for an older/cheap psu not to
have enough power on the +12v rail - not all psu are created equal by a long
way.