bluerambo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Ok guys. I recently built my computer and totally forgot to buy windows 7. My friend came to the rescue and gave me his copy of windows 7 64bit . We both assumed that it was a three use disk so i installed on the computer. Much to my surprise i realized that it was only the trial. I have already used slmgr- rearm twice and am wondering how to get windows for as cheap as possible. To activate would i need to buy the same exact version he had. What will happen if i do not activate. Is it possible to only buy the upgrade (cheaper) to activate. I have 30 days so any help is great. Also if i reinstall windows will my files be lost. Thank you.

and just to make it clear I am not trying to get it for free or screw over microsoft, i just want to solve my problem for as cheap as possible.

The easiest and cheapest legitimate way is to buy an OEM version of the version you loaded (e.g., Home, Pro, Ultimate), then use the key that comes with your newly-purchased DVD to activate with MS. Newegg, TigerDirect, ZipZoomFly, and many others sell OEM versions.

If you do not activate, you will get nag screens, shut-downs, and be unable to download security updates.

If your friend gave you the pre-release version of W7 that MS made available prior to the versions released to retail later, you may have to google to get the solution to installing the final version over the trial installation without doing a clean install (and losing your files).

You can't use an OEM key to activate a non-OEM version.

I don't know if you can use an upgrade key once Windows is installed, but I would think not. There are some MS reps around these forums, maybe they can get you some good info.

If you want to get this working for sure with no questions, get an OEM Windows version, and install it from the start. Note that OEM versions do not come with MS support and are not tranferable to other computers even if you are not going to be using the old one anymore.

bluerambo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

I see what your saying. I think i may just back up all my data buy the oem version do a clean install and re transfer my files. Would you agree with this decision.

OEM version would be the cheapest way of getting a Win 7 setup on the system, with the restrictions I already posted.

bluerambo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

I know that onces i install the oem version i cannot alter some components. Which ones can i not change, is it only the motherboard? My cpu is a little old and I want want to upgrade to core 2 quad in a little will oem windows allow this? Thank you.

You can insert your OEM DVD on your current system and boot to the installation disc. If I recall correctly, W7 will find your existing OS version and allow you to do a repair install using the OEM disc and its key.

After you install the OEM version, you can alter or setup all your hardware, and you can upgrade/change the original hardware in every case except the motherboard (see below). If you change or upgrade your system components, you may have to re-activate W7. If you cannot re-activate automatically on-line, you can call MS and speak to an automated voice that will ask you what you changed. You will have to explain it, and you may get transferred to a real MS person. For any hardware changes except motherboards, the MS person will give you the codes you need to re-activate. Changing the motherboard to one that is different than you had originally activated W7 on will cause the re-activation notice. MS does not like for us to do that because OEM is "tied to the original computer" and MS considers a new motherboard will disqualify you from re-activating an OEM W7 on a different motherboard.

bluerambo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

So on oem windows all components can be changed except for the motherboard