Win2K page file

This isn't an overclocking issue, but this forum seems to be one of the best
places for accurate info..

I have 2 HD's, a 30G as C: (5G), E: (5G), and F: (20G), and a second HD on
the secondary IDE channel as D: (20G). I have Win2K Pro SP4 on C: and
little else with a 2M page file (minimum allowed) and a static page file on
F: of 1282M. When looking in My Computer or Explorer they show 2 page files
on F: of the same size but under My Computer/Advanced/Performance Options it
shows just the small file on C: and one file on F:

Any thoughts?

Ga-7vax
Maxtor 30G Primary IDE
Maxtor 20G Secondary IDE
512M PC2700 XMS
ATI 9800 Pro

--
Rob Thompson
3 answers Last reply

    "R Thompson" <rthomps9@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > This isn't an overclocking issue, but this forum seems to be one of the
    best
    > places for accurate info..
    >
    > I have 2 HD's, a 30G as C: (5G), E: (5G), and F: (20G), and a second HD on
    > the secondary IDE channel as D: (20G). I have Win2K Pro SP4 on C: and
    > little else with a 2M page file (minimum allowed) and a static page file
    on
    > F: of 1282M. When looking in My Computer or Explorer they show 2 page
    files
    > on F: of the same size but under My Computer/Advanced/Performance Options
    it
    > shows just the small file on C: and one file on F:
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Ga-7vax
    > Maxtor 30G Primary IDE
    > Maxtor 20G Secondary IDE
    > 512M PC2700 XMS
    > ATI 9800 Pro
    >
    > --
    > Rob Thompson

    Well such flattery will get you anywhere, so as it is a performance related
    issue, I will have a stab - as system tweaking is as much a part of getting
    a speed increase as playing with hardware.

    First thing is - why have you got a 2mb swap file on drive C? - the 2mb
    minimum is for the total swap file space - not per partition. You could
    completely get rid of that by setting the values for minimum and maximum to
    zero (or blank) for drive C and using the "SET" command. This would leave
    you with the static file on drive F.

    I am not sure but NT/Win2k uses the swap files in the order it finds them,
    so unless it is told otherwise it will be using that 2mb then trying to find
    more space, either swap file number 2 or maybe it has had a bit of a panic
    and made up an overflow for itself - I am rusty on 2k swap files - had a
    bit of a stint using a ram disk for the swap file but been using XP for
    ages -

    So try getting rid of the C swap file and seeing if one swap file on F goes,
    although I am confused how 2 swap files can exist on the same partition - as
    presumably they have the same name and are in the same root directory. So
    maybe after clearing the entry for drive C, reboot and try running disk
    checking software, and then manually deleting the swap files if both are
    still there - if they are in use it will not let you. However, something is
    wrong with the file system if 2 files with the same name in the same place.

    "R Thompson" <rthomps9@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > This isn't an overclocking issue, but this forum seems to be one of the
    best
    > places for accurate info..
    >
    > I have 2 HD's, a 30G as C: (5G), E: (5G), and F: (20G), and a second HD on
    > the secondary IDE channel as D: (20G). I have Win2K Pro SP4 on C: and
    > little else with a 2M page file (minimum allowed) and a static page file
    on
    > F: of 1282M. When looking in My Computer or Explorer they show 2 page
    files
    > on F: of the same size but under My Computer/Advanced/Performance Options
    it
    > shows just the small file on C: and one file on F:
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Ga-7vax
    > Maxtor 30G Primary IDE
    > Maxtor 20G Secondary IDE
    > 512M PC2700 XMS
    > ATI 9800 Pro
    >
    > --
    > Rob Thompson

    [I am posting this for a second time as it has not shown up on my ISP
    newsgroups 10 hours after I posted it, normally it takes a couple of
    minutes - so it may already be on the news groups and I just can not see
    it - good old BT.]

    Well such flattery will get you anywhere, so as it is a performance related
    issue, I will have a stab - as system tweaking is as much a part of getting
    a speed increase as playing with hardware.

    First thing is - why have you got a 2mb swap file on drive C? - the 2mb
    minimum is for the total swap file space - not per partition. You could
    completely get rid of that by setting the values for minimum and maximum to
    zero (or blank) for drive C and using the "SET" command. This would leave
    you with the static file on drive F.

    [The only reason I can think of why you may want a small swap file on drive
    C is so you can read any memory dump files - but I have never met anyone
    who does read them]

    "Hippy Paul" <null@anon.con> wrote in message

    > "R Thompson" <rthomps9@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > This isn't an overclocking issue, but this forum seems to be one of the
    > best
    > > places for accurate info..
    > >
    > > I have 2 HD's, a 30G as C: (5G), E: (5G), and F: (20G), and a second HD
    on
    > > the secondary IDE channel as D: (20G). I have Win2K Pro SP4 on C: and
    > > little else with a 2M page file (minimum allowed) and a static page file
    > on
    > > F: of 1282M. When looking in My Computer or Explorer they show 2 page
    > files
    > > on F: of the same size but under My Computer/Advanced/Performance
    > it
    > > shows just the small file on C: and one file on F:
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    > >
    > > Ga-7vax
    > > Maxtor 30G Primary IDE
    > > Maxtor 20G Secondary IDE
    > > 512M PC2700 XMS
    > > ATI 9800 Pro
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rob Thompson
    > >

    > Well such flattery will get you anywhere, so as it is a performance
    related
    > issue, I will have a stab - as system tweaking is as much a part of
    getting
    > a speed increase as playing with hardware.
    >
    > First thing is - why have you got a 2mb swap file on drive C? - the 2mb
    > minimum is for the total swap file space - not per partition. You could
    > completely get rid of that by setting the values for minimum and maximum
    > zero (or blank) for drive C and using the "SET" command. This would leave
    > you with the static file on drive F.
    >
    > I am not sure but NT/Win2k uses the swap files in the order it finds them,
    > so unless it is told otherwise it will be using that 2mb then trying to
    find
    > more space, either swap file number 2 or maybe it has had a bit of a
    panic
    > and made up an overflow for itself - I am rusty on 2k swap files - had a
    > bit of a stint using a ram disk for the swap file but been using XP for
    > ages -
    >
    > So try getting rid of the C swap file and seeing if one swap file on F
    goes,
    > although I am confused how 2 swap files can exist on the same partition -
    as
    > presumably they have the same name and are in the same root directory. So
    > maybe after clearing the entry for drive C, reboot and try running disk
    > checking software, and then manually deleting the swap files if both are
    > still there - if they are in use it will not let you. However, something
    is
    > wrong with the file system if 2 files with the same name in the same
    place.

    Well, the two swap files are of my making...I have Win98 on the second HD
    that I keep around and the other file is the Win98 swap file. I found a
    registry entry that will make Win98 use the Win2K file if I want it to.

    Thanks a lot for the info though.

AMD Overclocking