Minimum PSU for this system?

I'm building a rig for my buddy consisting of some of my old parts and some
of his.
He's upgrading from a Celeron 433. LOL
The only new thing he needs is a case w/PSU since he's too cheap to buy them
separately.
Will a 300 W PSU be enough for this:

MSI KT3-Ultra
XP1800+ Palomino
2x256MB PC2100 DDR
Ti4200 Videocard
Oldass 5400RPM HDD (1)
CD-RW (1)
56K Modem
Floppy Drive
No Overclocking

Thanks for any opinions.
Rick

alex

Get a good quality unit now, and have a better chance of reliability and
performance ... A good psu is cheaper than having to buy 2 or more cheap
ones. Trust me .... No overclocking? are you mad? lol :p

> Will a 300 W PSU be enough for this:
>
> MSI KT3-Ultra
> XP1800+ Palomino

Most likely. I have a relatively cheap 300-watt power supply in my work
machine which powers *TWO* AthlonMP 1800+ chips, the GeForce2MX video, 7200
RPM hard drives, and CD-RWs without a hitch.

steve

> Will a 300 W PSU be enough for this:

Look into the AMD Approved list of PSU and choose the brand that is
available in your locality.

Always check for the total combine output (TCO) of the +3.3V and +5.0V
rails

Not the Watt number but the Ampere on each rail ist what really counts

> No Overclocking

Why do you post here?

"Josef Varela" <darkpepe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Will a 300 W PSU be enough for this:
>
> Look into the AMD Approved list of PSU and choose the brand that is
> available in your locality.
>
> Always check for the total combine output (TCO) of the +3.3V and +5.0V
> rails
>
> Not the Watt number but the Ampere on each rail ist what really counts
>
> > No Overclocking
>
> Why do you post here?

I post here because of some knowledgeable people.
I happen to love overclocking but like my OP says, this is in reguard to my
cheap buddy's system.

Thanks for the input.

"dorkus.erectus" <gftrs@fkjus.net> wrote in message
> I'm building a rig for my buddy consisting of some of my old parts and
some
> of his.
> He's upgrading from a Celeron 433. LOL
> The only new thing he needs is a case w/PSU since he's too cheap to buy
them
> separately.
> Will a 300 W PSU be enough for this:
>
> MSI KT3-Ultra
> XP1800+ Palomino
> 2x256MB PC2100 DDR
> Ti4200 Videocard
> Oldass 5400RPM HDD (1)
> CD-RW (1)
> 56K Modem
> Floppy Drive
> No Overclocking
>
> Thanks for any opinions.
> Rick

Hey, don't knock Celerys - I'm sure quite a few others here remember the
good old 300a - overlocked to 450mhz in almost every case ;-) I've still got
one knocking around somewhere.....and to think that people told us that we
were killing their lifetime by overclocking....LOL.

I used to run an Athlon 1.4ghz, Ti4200, a couple of HD's and cd's and all in
a full tower In-Win case with a number of 80mm fans and a cathode with the
included 230w power supply.....it was probably a high quality one but just
goes to show that high wattage isn't always better. I'm sure a case bundled
psu would be fine with that system.

Leon.

My similar system started taking down a generic psu, so I got an Antec 300w
and it has no troubles. Voltages are all good. That model, though, wasn't
moving enough air so I replaced the fan and ran the fan wire outside it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\