networking & the MS firewall

I have 2 computers connected to a cat5 router which is connected to a
cable modem. Everything works.
I am going to share a file between the computers, following network
instructions similar to: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
I noticed, however, that during this and other procedures the
Microsoft firewall is to be disabled on both computers - including the
laptop which at times is used wirelessly at hotels.
I am wary of disabling the firewall - advise, please.........tia

So turn it back on after the connection is made between the PC's.

Shelly F wrote:

> I have 2 computers connected to a cat5 router which is connected to a
> cable modem. Everything works.
> I am going to share a file between the computers, following network
> instructions similar to: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
> I noticed, however, that during this and other procedures the
> Microsoft firewall is to be disabled on both computers - including the
> laptop which at times is used wirelessly at hotels.
> I am wary of disabling the firewall - advise, please.........tia

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

It is not be necessary to disable the firewall to share files. In fact,
that's absurd advice. Are you running SP2? If so, just enable the file and
printer sharing exception. (If SP1 with the older MS firewall, it's more
complicated. Post back if that's applicable.)

If there is a problem with sharing, we may temporarily disable firewalls
while troubleshooting, but that's not a starting point.
--

"Shelly F" <shellyfnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 computers connected to a cat5 router which is connected to a
> cable modem. Everything works.
> I am going to share a file between the computers, following network
> instructions similar to: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
> I noticed, however, that during this and other procedures the
> Microsoft firewall is to be disabled on both computers - including the
> laptop which at times is used wirelessly at hotels.
> I am wary of disabling the firewall - advise, please.........tia

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I have 2 computers connected to a cat5 router which is
> connected to a
> cable modem. Everything works.
> I am going to share a file between the computers, following
> network
> instructions similar to:
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
> I noticed, however, that during this and other procedures the
> Microsoft firewall is to be disabled on both computers -
> including the
> laptop which at times is used wirelessly at hotels.
> I am wary of disabling the firewall - advise,
> please.........tia

You shouldnt be so wary of disabling the firewall if your behind a
router, gateway or proxy, what i would be more wary of is the
encyption for your wireless conection working. If it’s just
filesharing you are try to achive, it should work with the firewall on
as windows should auto configurer it to acept incoming file sharing
requests.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-networking-MS-firewall-ftopict395212.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1302198