real performance gain

if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
the real performance gain be?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"sam unwise" <datrooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
> the real performance gain be?

I run my Barton 2500 / 2 x 512Mb PC3200 dual channel at 200fsb for XP3200+
level performance, and it's considerably faster in all real and synthetic
benchmarks. Gets just under 12,000 in 3DMark 2001 with my Radeon 8500 128Mb.
So, yeah, it's worth it.

I run my mobile Barton 2400 / 2 x 256Mb PC3700 dual channel at 246fsb for
XP3960+
level performance, and it's considerably faster in all real and synthetic
benchmarks. Gets just under 19000 in 3DMark 2001 with my Radeon 8500 128Mb
(at stock).
So, yeah, it's worth it.

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

> "sam unwise" <datrooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
> > the real performance gain be?
>
> I run my Barton 2500 / 2 x 512Mb PC3200 dual channel at 200fsb for
XP3200+
> level performance, and it's considerably faster in all real and synthetic
> benchmarks. Gets just under 12,000 in 3DMark 2001 with my Radeon 8500
128Mb.
> So, yeah, it's worth it.

"sam unwise" <datrooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
> the real performance gain be?

I can't raise my FSB w/o increasing my AGP/PCI bus as well. What would
increasing my FSB on my Barton 2500 do to AGP/PCI? I'd like to get more out
of my 2500 but don't want to screw up my video card somehow.

Ga-7vax
XP2500 Barton
2 512 Corsair XMS PC 2700
ATI 9800 Pro

"R Thompson" <rthomps9@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

> "sam unwise" <datrooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
> > the real performance gain be?
>
> I can't raise my FSB w/o increasing my AGP/PCI bus as well. What would
> increasing my FSB on my Barton 2500 do to AGP/PCI?

No PCI divider ?
If not, then raising FSB/PCI will bork your Winstall above 40 PCIB.

I'd like to get more out
> of my 2500 but don't want to screw up my video card somehow.
>
> Ga-7vax
> XP2500 Barton
> 2 512 Corsair XMS PC 2700
> ATI 9800 Pro

"R Thompson" <rthomps9@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

> "sam unwise" <datrooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
> > the real performance gain be?
>
> I can't raise my FSB w/o increasing my AGP/PCI bus as well. What would
> increasing my FSB on my Barton 2500 do to AGP/PCI? I'd like to get more
out
> of my 2500 but don't want to screw up my video card somehow.

At about 180 - 185mhz fsb the system will refuse to boot up/fall over, it
may even be unstable below 180mhz with freezes/reboots happening. It is
unlikely that any damage will be done to the video card, other than it
falling over.

So the other option is to change the multiplier value, if you have an
unlocked cpu and a full range of multiplier options then it is easy - if not
then there is a work-around for the locking
that works on the KT chipsets.

BTW - any luck with the paging files?

"Hippy Paul" <null@anon.con> wrote in message

> "R Thompson" <rthomps9@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "sam unwise" <datrooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
> > > the real performance gain be?
> >
> > I can't raise my FSB w/o increasing my AGP/PCI bus as well. What would
> > increasing my FSB on my Barton 2500 do to AGP/PCI? I'd like to get more
> out
> > of my 2500 but don't want to screw up my video card somehow.
> >

> At about 180 - 185mhz fsb the system will refuse to boot up/fall over, it
> may even be unstable below 180mhz with freezes/reboots happening. It is
> unlikely that any damage will be done to the video card, other than it
> falling over.
>
> So the other option is to change the multiplier value, if you have an
> unlocked cpu and a full range of multiplier options then it is easy - if
not
> then there is a work-around for the locking
> that works on the KT chipsets.
>
> BTW - any luck with the paging files?

Yeah, that one was my stupidity. I have Win98SE on the other HD and one
file was the Win2K pagefile and the other the 98 swapfile.

As for the OC'ing, my MB doesn't support changing the multiplier as far as I
know and I thought that raising the FSB with the PCI/AGP would screw with
stuff.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I run my mobile Barton 2400 / 2 x 256Mb PC3700 dual channel at 246fsb for
> XP3960+
> level performance, and it's considerably faster in all real and synthetic
> benchmarks. Gets just under 19000 in 3DMark 2001 with my Radeon 8500 128Mb
> (at stock).
> So, yeah, it's worth it.

Bullshit....impossible to get 19,000+ with an 8500 no matter what the CPU.

> "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > I run my mobile Barton 2400 / 2 x 256Mb PC3700 dual channel at 246fsb
for
> > XP3960+
> > level performance, and it's considerably faster in all real and
synthetic
> > benchmarks. Gets just under 19000 in 3DMark 2001 with my Radeon 8500
128Mb
> > (at stock).
> > So, yeah, it's worth it.
>
> Bullshit....impossible to get 19,000+ with an 8500 no matter what the CPU.

Pardon, me - the 8500's my old card, I meant my 9800 Pro 128.

> "Hippy Paul" <null@anon.con> wrote in message
> >
> > "R Thompson" <rthomps9@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "sam unwise" <datrooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I can't raise my FSB w/o increasing my AGP/PCI bus as well. What
would
> > > increasing my FSB on my Barton 2500 do to AGP/PCI? I'd like to get
more
> > out
> > > of my 2500 but don't want to screw up my video card somehow.
> > >

> > At about 180 - 185mhz fsb the system will refuse to boot up/fall over,
it
> > may even be unstable below 180mhz with freezes/reboots happening. It is
> > unlikely that any damage will be done to the video card, other than it
> > falling over.
> >
> > So the other option is to change the multiplier value, if you have an
> > unlocked cpu and a full range of multiplier options then it is easy - if
> not
> > then there is a work-around for the locking
> > that works on the KT chipsets.
> >
> > BTW - any luck with the paging files?
>
> Yeah, that one was my stupidity. I have Win98SE on the other HD and one
> file was the Win2K pagefile and the other the 98 swapfile.
>
> As for the OC'ing, my MB doesn't support changing the multiplier as far as
> know and I thought that raising the FSB with the PCI/AGP would screw with
> stuff.

Ah right - the joys of dual boot...

There is a way to change the multiplier for boards that do not support it -
called the pin-mod - it is not as hard as it may seem. - and is easily
reversible compared to modifying the bridges on a cpu

I have used the 5 wire method and am now using the two wire 5-3 method on my
KT333 (the single wire does not work on it).

Check out Michael Brown's site at http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdmults/ for
info
on the two wire mods

or http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html for the 5 wire pin mod.

sam unwise wrote:
> if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
> the real performance gain be?

Would that be for playing games, encoding video, word processing or what?

If you set the FSB of the Barton to 200MHz from 166Mhz, would you take the
RAM to 200MHz as well?

What chipset do you have?

The difference will be somewhere between a small amount and 20%.

If you have a rubbish video card (such that gaming is video card bound),
increasing your CPU power will make little difference in games. If you are
performing a task that is cpu bound, you might gain as much as 20%.

Ben