lg dvd drive reads all disks as empty

Hello all, got an asus a8n sli deluxe and lg gsa4163B dvd-rw. as off
yesterday my dvd drive stopped reading the content of all disks:
cd-rom, audio cd, dvd etc. it sees all disks as empty. device manager
(running xp) reports no problems with the drive. can't think what would
have caused the drive to start behaving in this way. seen similar
problems in forums before but can not find solution. please help.

Kind regards

--
dhq
dhq's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1387

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:dhq.1s45ca@news.nospam.local,
dhq <dhq.1s45ca@news.nospam.local> had this to say:

> Hello all, got an asus a8n sli deluxe and lg gsa4163B dvd-rw. as off
> yesterday my dvd drive stopped reading the content of all disks:
> cd-rom, audio cd, dvd etc. it sees all disks as empty. device manager
> (running xp) reports no problems with the drive. can't think what
> would have caused the drive to start behaving in this way. seen
> similar problems in forums before but can not find solution. please
> help.
>
> Kind regards

You are posting from a site that's leeching our newsgroup posts, you can
join the newsgroups by clicking here:

As for your problem you might consider that your drive has gone bad. While
it could be an issue with upperfilters and lowerfilters I don't think it is
as you're not getting a device error message and you're able to see them.
You might consider removing the device from the device manager, rebooting,
and letting Windows® re-install the drivers for you. I'd have guessed a
dirty drive but you're not able to read any type of disks, most of the time
you'd still be able to read one of the two types. Still you could try
cleaning the drive if you wanted with a lens cleaner if you wanted but I
would start by checking the drive itself. It's not a cable as you're able to
see the drive. It's not power as you're able to open it. I'd try it in a
different box.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes