7 button games?

It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.

--
Neil
5 answers Last reply

    Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
    > It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
    > buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
    > which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
    > want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.

    The seventh button is commonly called the "NeoGeo button", since it's
    used to duplicate the standard arched 4-button NeoGeo layout.

    In other words, when in NeoGeo games, the bottom four buttons are used,
    while when in other games, the top set of six are used.

    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7

    vs.

    x x x
    B C D

    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
    www.retroblast.com

    Kevin Steele played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
    and concrete saxophone

    > Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
    >> It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
    >> buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
    >> which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
    >> want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.
    >
    > The seventh button is commonly called the "NeoGeo button", since it's
    > used to duplicate the standard arched 4-button NeoGeo layout.
    >
    > In other words, when in NeoGeo games, the bottom four buttons are used,
    > while when in other games, the top set of six are used.
    >
    > 1 2 3
    > 4 5 6
    > 7
    >
    > vs.
    >
    > x x x
    > B C D

    Thanks Kevin. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to miss out
    on a seven button game if there was one floating about!
    At the moment I'm leaning toward a layout something like this:
    O O O
    O O O

    which it seems to me achieves the same thing but with six buttons. I
    suppose Capcom purists would disagree.

    --
    Neil

    "Dire Radiant" <visionism@geemale.com> wrote in message
    > Kevin Steele played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
    > and concrete saxophone
    >
    > > Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
    > >> It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
    > >> buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
    > >> which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
    > >> want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.
    > >
    > > The seventh button is commonly called the "NeoGeo button", since it's
    > > used to duplicate the standard arched 4-button NeoGeo layout.
    > >
    > > In other words, when in NeoGeo games, the bottom four buttons are used,
    > > while when in other games, the top set of six are used.
    > >
    > > 1 2 3
    > > 4 5 6
    > > 7
    > >
    > > vs.
    > >
    > > x x x
    > > B C D
    >
    > Thanks Kevin. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to miss out
    > on a seven button game if there was one floating about!
    > At the moment I'm leaning toward a layout something like this:
    > O O O
    > O O O
    >
    > which it seems to me achieves the same thing but with six buttons. I
    > suppose Capcom purists would disagree.
    >
    > --
    > Neil

    Neil,

    I like the X-Arcade eight button layout:

    O O O
    O O O
    O O O

    Plus thought 6 buttons are enough for almost games, you may want extra
    buttons for your front end. Things like:

    Volume Up
    Volume Down
    Next Track
    Favourites
    Add to Favourites
    Delete From Favourites
    Quit To Windows
    Close Down

    Depends which Front End you use.........................

    Hitesh played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather and
    concrete saxophone

    > I like the X-Arcade eight button layout:
    >
    > O O O
    > O O O
    > O O O
    >
    > Plus thought 6 buttons are enough for almost games, you may want extra
    > buttons for your front end. Things like:
    >
    > Volume Up
    > Volume Down
    > Next Track
    > Favourites
    > Add to Favourites
    > Delete From Favourites
    > Quit To Windows
    > Close Down
    >
    > Depends which Front End you use.........................

    I'm using Mamewah (Doesn't almost everyone these days?) I tend to dislike
    panels that look like the flight deck of the space shuttle with buttons
    everywhere so the intent is to have a single admin button. If you're
    in-game pressing the button will quit the game and drop you back into the
    FE. If you're in the FE then the button will toggle between the FE and
    Arcade Jukebox. My lists are all set up in advance. Skip track defaults to
    the spacebar in Mamewah so that's taken care of by P1 button 3. As for
    volume control there's going to be a knob on the top of the cab placed
    behind what we highly technical system 1 afficionados call the
    "sticky-up-bit-where-the-marquee-goes" Exiting is done through the Mamewah
    options menu (I definitely don't want people coming accross that one by
    accident so I have it mapped to CTRL-2 ie P1 button 1 + p2 start)

    I must say that once I got my head around it I found Mamewah kicks much
    donkey. I understand Emuwizard is bringing a palimony suit :)

    "Dire Radiant" <visionism@geemale.com> wrote in message
    > Kevin Steele played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
    > and concrete saxophone
    >
    >> Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
    >>> It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
    >>> buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
    >>> which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
    >>> want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.
    >>
    >> The seventh button is commonly called the "NeoGeo button", since it's
    >> used to duplicate the standard arched 4-button NeoGeo layout.
    >>
    >> In other words, when in NeoGeo games, the bottom four buttons are used,
    >> while when in other games, the top set of six are used.
    >>
    >> 1 2 3
    >> 4 5 6
    >> 7
    >>
    >> vs.
    >>
    >> x x x
    >> B C D
    >
    > Thanks Kevin. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to miss out
    > on a seven button game if there was one floating about!
    > At the moment I'm leaning toward a layout something like this:
    > O O O
    > O O O
    >
    > which it seems to me achieves the same thing but with six buttons. I
    > suppose Capcom purists would disagree.

    And what about the Mortal Kombat games, Time Killer, and Blood Storm?
    There really is no generic layout that satisfy all the custom button
    arrangements of these games.

    > --
    > Neil

Games Video Games