7 button games?

Last response: in Video Games
April 24, 2005 1:49:37 PM

It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.

--
Neil

More about : button games

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:49:43 PM

Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
> It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
> buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
> which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
> want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.

The seventh button is commonly called the "NeoGeo button", since it's
used to duplicate the standard arched 4-button NeoGeo layout.

In other words, when in NeoGeo games, the bottom four buttons are used,
while when in other games, the top set of six are used.

1 2 3
4 5 6
7

vs.

x x x
B C D

Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:34:21 PM

Kevin Steele played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
and concrete saxophone

> Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
>> It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
>> buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
>> which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
>> want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.
>
> The seventh button is commonly called the "NeoGeo button", since it's
> used to duplicate the standard arched 4-button NeoGeo layout.
>
> In other words, when in NeoGeo games, the bottom four buttons are used,
> while when in other games, the top set of six are used.
>
> 1 2 3
> 4 5 6
> 7
>
> vs.
>
> x x x
> B C D

Thanks Kevin. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to miss out
on a seven button game if there was one floating about!
At the moment I'm leaning toward a layout something like this:
O O O
O O O

which it seems to me achieves the same thing but with six buttons. I
suppose Capcom purists would disagree.

--
Neil
April 25, 2005 9:48:07 AM

"Dire Radiant" <visionism@geemale.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.04.24.22.34.21.313000@geemale.com...
> Kevin Steele played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
> and concrete saxophone
>
> > Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
> >> It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
> >> buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
> >> which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
> >> want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.
> >
> > The seventh button is commonly called the "NeoGeo button", since it's
> > used to duplicate the standard arched 4-button NeoGeo layout.
> >
> > In other words, when in NeoGeo games, the bottom four buttons are used,
> > while when in other games, the top set of six are used.
> >
> > 1 2 3
> > 4 5 6
> > 7
> >
> > vs.
> >
> > x x x
> > B C D
>
> Thanks Kevin. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to miss out
> on a seven button game if there was one floating about!
> At the moment I'm leaning toward a layout something like this:
> O O O
> O O O
>
> which it seems to me achieves the same thing but with six buttons. I
> suppose Capcom purists would disagree.
>
> --
> Neil

Neil,

I like the X-Arcade eight button layout:

O O O
O O O
O O O

Plus thought 6 buttons are enough for almost games, you may want extra
buttons for your front end. Things like:

Volume Up
Volume Down
Next Track
Favourites
Add to Favourites
Delete From Favourites
Quit To Windows
Close Down

Depends which Front End you use.........................
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:24:38 PM

Hitesh played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather and
concrete saxophone

> I like the X-Arcade eight button layout:
>
> O O O
> O O O
> O O O
>
> Plus thought 6 buttons are enough for almost games, you may want extra
> buttons for your front end. Things like:
>
> Volume Up
> Volume Down
> Next Track
> Favourites
> Add to Favourites
> Delete From Favourites
> Quit To Windows
> Close Down
>
> Depends which Front End you use.........................

I'm using Mamewah (Doesn't almost everyone these days?) I tend to dislike
panels that look like the flight deck of the space shuttle with buttons
everywhere so the intent is to have a single admin button. If you're
in-game pressing the button will quit the game and drop you back into the
FE. If you're in the FE then the button will toggle between the FE and
Arcade Jukebox. My lists are all set up in advance. Skip track defaults to
the spacebar in Mamewah so that's taken care of by P1 button 3. As for
volume control there's going to be a knob on the top of the cab placed
behind what we highly technical system 1 afficionados call the
"sticky-up-bit-where-the-marquee-goes" Exiting is done through the Mamewah
options menu (I definitely don't want people coming accross that one by
accident so I have it mapped to CTRL-2 ie P1 button 1 + p2 start)

I must say that once I got my head around it I found Mamewah kicks much
donkey. I understand Emuwizard is bringing a palimony suit :)
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:38:56 AM

"Dire Radiant" <visionism@geemale.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.04.24.22.34.21.313000@geemale.com...
> Kevin Steele played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
> and concrete saxophone
>
>> Dire Radiant thought about it a bit, then said...
>>> It seems a lot of people these days are making control panels with 7
>>> buttons. What games use all those? I'm assuming they're newer fighters
>>> which I'm not really up on. I was going with a six button layout but I
>>> want to make sure I'm not going to miss out here.
>>
>> The seventh button is commonly called the "NeoGeo button", since it's
>> used to duplicate the standard arched 4-button NeoGeo layout.
>>
>> In other words, when in NeoGeo games, the bottom four buttons are used,
>> while when in other games, the top set of six are used.
>>
>> 1 2 3
>> 4 5 6
>> 7
>>
>> vs.
>>
>> x x x
>> B C D
>
> Thanks Kevin. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to miss out
> on a seven button game if there was one floating about!
> At the moment I'm leaning toward a layout something like this:
> O O O
> O O O
>
> which it seems to me achieves the same thing but with six buttons. I
> suppose Capcom purists would disagree.

And what about the Mortal Kombat games, Time Killer, and Blood Storm?
There really is no generic layout that satisfy all the custom button
arrangements of these games.

!