Canon i860 printer owners - do you notice any banding?

Anyone notice banding (noticeable lines) with the i860 printers?

I ask because some banding is noticeable on my older i850, particularly
when I rotate some printed photos 90 degrees (one turn to the right).
Mind you they're visible in the normal position too but really stand out
when looking at the printed bands horizontally.

I'm thinking of moving up to an i860 if I can be sure to get away from
these irritating bands which appear on certain photos, often containing
skin - not pornographic ;-) - or pavement, to name a couple. They appear
on all papers, even Canon Photo Paper Pro. I've re-aligned the print
heads several times without effect.

-Taliesyn
22 answers Last reply
More about canon i860 printer owners notice banding

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:23:12 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >Anyone notice banding (noticeable lines) with the i860 printers?
    >
    >I ask because some banding is noticeable on my older i850, particularly
    >when I rotate some printed photos 90 degrees (one turn to the right).
    >Mind you they're visible in the normal position too but really stand out
    >when looking at the printed bands horizontally.
    >
    >I'm thinking of moving up to an i860 if I can be sure to get away from
    >these irritating bands which appear on certain photos, often containing
    >skin - not pornographic ;-) - or pavement, to name a couple. They appear
    >on all papers, even Canon Photo Paper Pro. I've re-aligned the print
    >heads several times without effect.
    >
    >-Taliesyn

    Do you have some old prints laying around from when the printer was
    newer? It would be interesting to know if the problem existed back
    then.

    My I850 shows no signs of banding at all unless I happen to mismatch
    the paper to say, ..... printing on Pro paper while using matte
    paper setting.

    beezer wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:23:12 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone notice banding (noticeable lines) with the i860 printers?
    >>
    >>I ask because some banding is noticeable on my older i850, particularly
    >>when I rotate some printed photos 90 degrees (one turn to the right).
    >>Mind you they're visible in the normal position too but really stand out
    >>when looking at the printed bands horizontally.
    >>
    >>I'm thinking of moving up to an i860 if I can be sure to get away from
    >>these irritating bands which appear on certain photos, often containing
    >>skin - not pornographic ;-) - or pavement, to name a couple. They appear
    >>on all papers, even Canon Photo Paper Pro. I've re-aligned the print
    >>heads several times without effect.
    >>
    >>-Taliesyn
    >

    > Do you have some old prints laying around from when the printer was
    > newer? It would be interesting to know if the problem existed back
    > then.

    Yes, a certain amount of banding has always existed since the very
    beginning. This is something I noticed a couple of months after I
    bought it, when I started developing digital photos.

    > My I850 shows no signs of banding at all unless I happen to mismatch
    > the paper to say, ..... printing on Pro paper while using matte
    > paper setting.

    No, I get it on high gloss paper (all brands) using the Photo Paper Pro
    setting. Mind you, it's visible on some papers more than others. But
    it's even there on the suggested Canon Photo Paper Pro paper.

    -Taliesyn

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:35:49 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >beezer wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:23:12 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Anyone notice banding (noticeable lines) with the i860 printers?
    >>>
    >>>I ask because some banding is noticeable on my older i850, particularly
    >>>when I rotate some printed photos 90 degrees (one turn to the right).
    >>>Mind you they're visible in the normal position too but really stand out
    >>>when looking at the printed bands horizontally.
    >>>
    >>>I'm thinking of moving up to an i860 if I can be sure to get away from
    >>>these irritating bands which appear on certain photos, often containing
    >>>skin - not pornographic ;-) - or pavement, to name a couple. They appear
    >>>on all papers, even Canon Photo Paper Pro. I've re-aligned the print
    >>>heads several times without effect.
    >>>
    >>>-Taliesyn
    >>

    >> Do you have some old prints laying around from when the printer was
    >> newer? It would be interesting to know if the problem existed back
    >> then.
    >>

    >Yes, a certain amount of banding has always existed since the very
    >beginning. This is something I noticed a couple of months after I
    >bought it, when I started developing digital photos.
    >
    >> My I850 shows no signs of banding at all unless I happen to mismatch
    >> the paper to say, ..... printing on Pro paper while using matte
    >> paper setting.
    >>

    >No, I get it on high gloss paper (all brands) using the Photo Paper Pro
    >setting. Mind you, it's visible on some papers more than others. But
    >it's even there on the suggested Canon Photo Paper Pro paper.
    >
    >-Taliesyn

    Interesting. Any change of perhaps a bad batch of ink? Highly unlikely
    as you had the printer for a while so I am sure you went through
    several orders.

    Even the banding that existed from the beginning, did that happen to
    be with Canon inks do you remember?

    I'm wondering if by chance you could send me a photo that produces
    banding with your printer and I will be more than happy to print and
    rescan the results to compare. It would be interesting to see.

    jayh38@yahoo.com

    beezer wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:35:49 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>beezer wrote:

    >>>Do you have some old prints laying around from when the printer was
    >>>newer? It would be interesting to know if the problem existed back
    >>>then.
    >>>

    >>Yes, a certain amount of banding has always existed since the very
    >>beginning. This is something I noticed a couple of months after I
    >>bought it, when I started developing digital photos.
    >>

    >>>My I850 shows no signs of banding at all unless I happen to mismatch
    >>>the paper to say, ..... printing on Pro paper while using matte
    >>>paper setting.
    >>>

    >>No, I get it on high gloss paper (all brands) using the Photo Paper Pro
    >>setting. Mind you, it's visible on some papers more than others. But
    >>it's even there on the suggested Canon Photo Paper Pro paper.
    >>
    >>-Taliesyn
    >

    > Interesting. Any change of perhaps a bad batch of ink? Highly unlikely
    > as you had the printer for a while so I am sure you went through
    > several orders.
    >
    > Even the banding that existed from the beginning, did that happen to
    > be with Canon inks do you remember?

    Yes, definitely. Canon inks in the beginning.

    > I'm wondering if by chance you could send me a photo that produces
    > banding with your printer and I will be more than happy to print and
    > rescan the results to compare. It would be interesting to see.

    Thanks, you gave me an idea. A simpler solution just might be to
    go next door to my sister's house. She has an i850 too. I'll bring
    over a photo for tests to see if it's just my particular printer.
    Not much can be done at this point anyway, it's out of warranty.
    I'd rather sink new money into a new printer instead. That's why
    I'd like to know if anyone's noticed any banding on the i860 and
    its 5 cartridge system.

    I was checking on the Net. A test site complained about a test
    model noticeably banding. But then someone followed up with a
    post that he'd never seen any. So go figure...

    But thanks for your kind offer.

    -Taliesyn

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:34:31 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >beezer wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:35:49 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Yes, a certain amount of banding has always existed since the very
    >>>beginning. This is something I noticed a couple of months after I
    >>>bought it, when I started developing digital photos.

    >>>No, I get it on high gloss paper (all brands) using the Photo Paper Pro
    >>>setting. Mind you, it's visible on some papers more than others. But
    >>>it's even there on the suggested Canon Photo Paper Pro paper.
    >>>
    >>>-Taliesyn
    >>

    >> Interesting. Any change of perhaps a bad batch of ink? Highly unlikely
    >> as you had the printer for a while so I am sure you went through
    >> several orders.
    >>
    >> Even the banding that existed from the beginning, did that happen to
    >> be with Canon inks do you remember?
    >>

    >Yes, definitely. Canon inks in the beginning.
    >
    >> I'm wondering if by chance you could send me a photo that produces
    >> banding with your printer and I will be more than happy to print and
    >> rescan the results to compare. It would be interesting to see.
    >>

    >Thanks, you gave me an idea. A simpler solution just might be to
    >go next door to my sister's house. She has an i850 too. I'll bring
    >over a photo for tests to see if it's just my particular printer.
    >Not much can be done at this point anyway, it's out of warranty.
    >I'd rather sink new money into a new printer instead. That's why
    >I'd like to know if anyone's noticed any banding on the i860 and
    >its 5 cartridge system.
    >
    >I was checking on the Net. A test site complained about a test
    >model noticeably banding. But then someone followed up with a
    >post that he'd never seen any. So go figure...
    >
    >But thanks for your kind offer.
    >
    >-Taliesyn

    OK let me know how the test goes. Ive made numerous high quality
    scans of my printouts in the past and as to compare definition and
    color much easily and never noticed banding of any kind.

    good luck

    Gee, Taliesyn, I thought Canons could do no wrong and only Epson
    printers caused banding?

    Chances are you are experiencing some nozzle clogging. The advantage to
    the Canon models is most have removable heads that can be cleaned using
    ammoniated window cleaner, just like the Epsons but much easier with the
    Canons with head outside of the printer.

    I've looked at a number of newer Canon prints and some have banding that
    develops over time. I suspect it just is a matter of cleaning and
    nothing more.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > Gee, Taliesyn, I thought Canons could do no wrong and only Epson
    > printers caused banding?

    Art, that's your statement, not mine; I don't recall ever complaining
    about Epsons banding. My gripe was against their superior CLOGGING
    ability, especially the 740. In other words, clogging was so severe
    a whole colour could disappear!

    > Chances are you are experiencing some nozzle clogging. The advantage to
    > the Canon models is most have removable heads that can be cleaned using
    > ammoniated window cleaner, just like the Epsons but much easier with the
    > Canons with head outside of the printer.

    I did a nozzle check and an alignment. Nozzle check came out fine,
    matching the original from last year.

    I even did a menu deep cleaning, something I've never done.

    > I've looked at a number of newer Canon prints and some have banding that
    > develops over time. I suspect it just is a matter of cleaning and
    > nothing more.

    Well, at your suggestion, I thought a full, outside the printer cleaning
    might be worth it. And it was actually fun. The heads hadn't been
    cleaned in a year. I removed and taped the cartridges. Wiped the print
    head assembly, soaked it in a dish with window cleaner. Then forced,
    with a cut-off syringe, clean fluid through the intakes several times,
    and let it sit for an hour in the dish, changing the liquid twice.

    Then I dried it, re-installed it and the cartridges, and ran a cleaning
    cycle. After aligning the print heads I did a nozzle check. The results
    were normal (perfect) as before.

    I then printed a glossy photo in the highest resolution, as always,
    and noticed no change from a photo I printed just before the cleaning.
    Slight vertical lines in places... more like visible printing passes.
    They are more visible when photo is turned 90 degrees, so that they're
    horizontal when looking at them. They are more prominent in blue skies,
    skin tones and pavement.

    I should add that these printing bands only seem to stand out in photo
    printing and not when doing graphics (same highest resolution).

    I then went next door to my sister's house and tried the same print
    on her Canon i850. The results were identical as with my printer.

    I've come to the conclusion (after the major head cleaning and comparing
    with another Canon i850) that everything is normal and that I'm simply
    too fussy - better than most people at seeing printing passes, lines or
    bands, whatever they are.... Which would explain why some people like to
    call me a perfectionist.

    -Taliesyn

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:22:44 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    >Well, at your suggestion, I thought a full, outside the printer cleaning
    >might be worth it. And it was actually fun. The heads hadn't been
    >cleaned in a year. I removed and taped the cartridges. Wiped the print
    >head assembly, soaked it in a dish with window cleaner. Then forced,
    >with a cut-off syringe, clean fluid through the intakes several times,
    >and let it sit for an hour in the dish, changing the liquid twice.
    >
    >Then I dried it, re-installed it and the cartridges, and ran a cleaning
    >cycle. After aligning the print heads I did a nozzle check. The results
    >were normal (perfect) as before.
    >
    >I then printed a glossy photo in the highest resolution, as always,
    >and noticed no change from a photo I printed just before the cleaning.
    >Slight vertical lines in places... more like visible printing passes.
    >They are more visible when photo is turned 90 degrees, so that they're
    >horizontal when looking at them. They are more prominent in blue skies,
    >skin tones and pavement.
    >
    >I should add that these printing bands only seem to stand out in photo
    >printing and not when doing graphics (same highest resolution).
    >
    >I then went next door to my sister's house and tried the same print
    >on her Canon i850. The results were identical as with my printer.
    >
    >I've come to the conclusion (after the major head cleaning and comparing
    >with another Canon i850) that everything is normal and that I'm simply
    >too fussy - better than most people at seeing printing passes, lines or
    >bands, whatever they are.... Which would explain why some people like to
    >call me a perfectionist.
    >
    >-Taliesyn

    I am curious as to one other item....
    Now you are refilling your cartridges with the "screw" method.
    I am wondering if you have tape over the top vent that forms the "L"
    shape..

    When you first peel the tape off a new cartridge, you know how the top
    back vent is about half covered. I am wondering if you have that
    either completely covered or "Half" covered or at all... ALSO, is
    there any other possibility of the screw holes taking in a minute bit
    of air that would not be noticable of dripping ink but yet continual
    equalizing the chambers while printing?

    The tank seems to be pressure tuned in a sense as it is working. Since
    you refilled both yours and your sisters, I am wondering if perhaps
    they both may have pressure issues..

    I printed another picture on my 850 that shows absolutely no signs of
    banding. lots of flesh tones and light blue sky backgrounds, etc..
    many many colors and no signs of banding at all. Printed on high gloss
    paper and under 10x magnification.

    I know you mentioned that this also happened when the printer was new
    and with original canon cartridges but may there be a possibility of
    a mix up.?

    Just trying to bring other ideas into view.

    Is there any chance that you may have either changed paper types or paper
    type settings? An incorrect setting can cause banding. As an example, I have
    some very inexpensive Georgia Pacific Professional Photo Paper from Sam's
    Club. Not a bad paper at all considering the price. However, banding is a
    little noticeable if the paper type setting is for Photo Paper Pro, but
    banding is eliminated if the Plain Paper setting is used.

    --
    Ron Cohen

    ---
    AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

    Ron Cohen wrote:
    > Is there any chance that you may have either changed paper types or paper
    > type settings? An incorrect setting can cause banding. As an example, I have
    > some very inexpensive Georgia Pacific Professional Photo Paper from Sam's
    > Club. Not a bad paper at all considering the price. However, banding is a
    > little noticeable if the paper type setting is for Photo Paper Pro, but
    > banding is eliminated if the Plain Paper setting is used.

    Yes, I have noticed a slight variation in the amount of banding
    depending on the paper. But some banding, or perhaps more correctly
    called "visible print head passes" was present with Canon Photo Paper
    Pro (paper pro setting) too.

    Thanks to all who offered suggestions, but I solved the problem by
    buying another printer. I was just too demanding for the i850. My
    plans were to upgrade only in winter or spring (I like the two
    year cycle). But my patience with the i850 was wearing thin. Mind you,
    it's basically an excellent printer, I'm just too fussy for it.

    So what did I buy? The i860. The difference is much bigger than I
    expected. A side by side test on the i860 was more colorful, brighter,
    and much more life-like. There was also no strange green tinge. I'm
    basically stunned.

    And the banding, or perhaps more correctly called visible printing
    passes from the print head, is minimal to the point where I honestly
    won't complain (I promise!). In the places where they were really
    visible on the i850, they are hardly noticeable to my "trained" eyes.

    I noticed the i860 has an automated print head alignment feature.
    Neat. If you look into the slot where it expel the sheets, you can
    see that strange red light scanning the printed lines, just like on
    a previous Lexmark Z55 of mine.

    I also noticed that the i860 uses 4 BCI-6 cartridges and one BCI-3e
    for black text. Are the BCI-6 cartridges a different formula ink
    from the color BCI-3e? They seem to be identically sized and look the
    same. If this ink is a different formula then I'll have to order
    new bulk ink and a second set of generic cartridges for it that
    I'll later refill with bulk.

    I'm guessing the printer back opens because this is where the CD
    printing attachment goes, that we in North America don't get.

    Yes, very satisfied with the i860, which is quite a bit larger than
    the i850. It's more than just a minor upgrade.

    -Taliesyn

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:25:04 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >I also noticed that the i860 uses 4 BCI-6 cartridges and one BCI-3e
    >for black text. Are the BCI-6 cartridges a different formula ink
    >from the color BCI-3e? They seem to be identically sized and look the
    >same. If this ink is a different formula then I'll have to order
    >new bulk ink and a second set of generic cartridges for it that
    >I'll later refill with bulk.

    Yes they are slightly different.. Joe at alotofthings.com said you
    could use BCI-6 ink in a BCI-3e but the opposite is not true.
    There would be a color shift

    I recall telling you the difference in quality from the I960 and the
    I850. I couldnt believe the difference.

    Taliesyn wrote:

    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >
    >> Gee, Taliesyn, I thought Canons could do no wrong and only Epson
    >> printers caused banding?
    >>

    > Art, that's your statement, not mine; I don't recall ever complaining
    > about Epsons banding. My gripe was against their superior CLOGGING
    > ability, especially the 740. In other words, clogging was so severe
    > a whole colour could disappear!

    Well, since most Epson banding is the result of partial clogging or ink
    build up under the heads, there is a connection ;-)

    > I've come to the conclusion (after the major head cleaning and comparing
    > with another Canon i850) that everything is normal and that I'm simply
    > too fussy - better than most people at seeing printing passes, lines or
    > bands, whatever they are.... Which would explain why some people like to
    > call me a perfectionist.
    >
    > -Taliesyn

    As some other people mentioned, do you have any older prints to compare
    and see if the earlier prints might have less or no visible banding
    relative to the newer prints? This might indicate something in the
    printer is wearing causing slight changes in alignment. It could be
    anything from the heads, to carriage wear causing play, to paper advance
    changes. However, if the current prints match the earlier ones in terms
    of banding, chances are it is just the nature of the printer design and
    you've become more critical over time.

    Art

    In article beezer says...
    > Yes they are slightly different.. Joe at alotofthings.com said you
    > could use BCI-6 ink in a BCI-3e but the opposite is not true.
    > There would be a color shift

    There are other people who have posted doubts that Canon use different
    ink in BCI-3e/BCI-6 CMY let alone 3rd party refillers.

    The explanation that BCI-6 was for 6 cart printers falls over now that
    the 850 morphed into the 560 and happened to change carts as well.

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:42:07 +1200, colinco <colincomma@yawhoo.com>
    wrote:

    >In article beezer says...
    >> Yes they are slightly different.. Joe at alotofthings.com said you
    >> could use BCI-6 ink in a BCI-3e but the opposite is not true.
    >> There would be a color shift
    >>
    >There are other people who have posted doubts that Canon use different
    >ink in BCI-3e/BCI-6 CMY let alone 3rd party refillers.
    >
    >The explanation that BCI-6 was for 6 cart printers falls over now that
    >the 850 morphed into the 560 and happened to change carts as well.

    Im sure not one to experiment with inks, I been there and done that
    with a hue shift from "Compatible" cartridges.

    Anyway, my information is from a very reputable source who in fact
    does sell different ink for the bci3 and 6.....

    I guess formulabs is wasting their time or whomever is mixing these
    slight shade differences then...

    I dont worry about it nor do I actually care as I know I get the
    proper ink for my printer with alotofthings.com

    beezer wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:42:07 +1200, colinco <colincomma@yawhoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>In article beezer says...
    >>
    >>>Yes they are slightly different.. Joe at alotofthings.com said you
    >>>could use BCI-6 ink in a BCI-3e but the opposite is not true.
    >>>There would be a color shift
    >>>

    >>There are other people who have posted doubts that Canon use different
    >>ink in BCI-3e/BCI-6 CMY let alone 3rd party refillers.
    >>
    >>The explanation that BCI-6 was for 6 cart printers falls over now that
    >>the 850 morphed into the 560 and happened to change carts as well.
    >

    > Im sure not one to experiment with inks, I been there and done that
    > with a hue shift from "Compatible" cartridges.
    >
    > Anyway, my information is from a very reputable source who in fact
    > does sell different ink for the bci3 and 6.....
    >
    > I guess formulabs is wasting their time or whomever is mixing these
    > slight shade differences then...
    >
    > I dont worry about it nor do I actually care as I know I get the
    > proper ink for my printer with alotofthings.com

    I just ordered some ink (more on that at the bottom) from Atlantic
    Inkjet and the part number for bulk ink for the BCI-6 differs from
    the BCI-3e bulk ink number.

    The ink in Canon's i860 BCI-6 cartridges seems to differ quite strongly
    from the BCI-3e's in the i850. I'm getting a lot more subtle shades now
    when I do graphics. Before, on the i850, if I was to go one or two shade
    (on my desktop publishing program) lighter, there would be no noticeable
    difference. Sometimes it took 5 shades or more. Matter of fact, I had a
    lot of trouble getting the printed result to look anything like the
    screen. But on my new Canon i860, one or two shades up or down and I get
    get positive, noticeable results. The colors on the whole are brighter,
    happier, and not muddy. Now I get a dark red instead of a brownish red.
    pure yellow is definitely more yellow. Green is bright green instead of
    blah green. It's definitely the ink, as I see it. Naturally, my photos
    look a lot more realistic too - people in the sun *look* like they're
    in the sun, and not in the shade. Yup, it's the ink... quite different.

    I've ordered from Atlantic Inkjet 5 x 8 oz bottles of bulk ink and
    4 compatible BCI-6 cartridges as my second set. When they're empty
    I'll fill them with bulk ink. I should be good for the next two years.
    And as much as it annoys Arthur Entlich, two years to me - the critical
    person that I am - is the life of a printer. ;-)

    -Taliesyn

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:24:56 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >I just ordered some ink (more on that at the bottom) from Atlantic
    >Inkjet and the part number for bulk ink for the BCI-6 differs from
    >the BCI-3e bulk ink number.
    >
    >The ink in Canon's i860 BCI-6 cartridges seems to differ quite strongly
    >from the BCI-3e's in the i850. I'm getting a lot more subtle shades now
    >when I do graphics. Before, on the i850, if I was to go one or two shade
    >(on my desktop publishing program) lighter, there would be no noticeable
    >difference. Sometimes it took 5 shades or more. Matter of fact, I had a
    >lot of trouble getting the printed result to look anything like the
    >screen. But on my new Canon i860, one or two shades up or down and I get
    >get positive, noticeable results. The colors on the whole are brighter,
    >happier, and not muddy. Now I get a dark red instead of a brownish red.
    >pure yellow is definitely more yellow. Green is bright green instead of
    >blah green. It's definitely the ink, as I see it. Naturally, my photos
    >look a lot more realistic too - people in the sun *look* like they're
    >in the sun, and not in the shade. Yup, it's the ink... quite different.
    >
    >I've ordered from Atlantic Inkjet 5 x 8 oz bottles of bulk ink and
    >4 compatible BCI-6 cartridges as my second set. When they're empty
    >I'll fill them with bulk ink. I should be good for the next two years.
    >And as much as it annoys Arthur Entlich, two years to me - the critical
    >person that I am - is the life of a printer. ;-)
    >
    >-Taliesyn

    Great to hear your success.... I get fantastic results from my 960
    and I found settings that work the best even with kodak papers that
    arent listed on the kodak site...

    I found for best general matching is first calibrating the monitor.
    Once you are sure about the gama, (this seems to be a very accurate
    applet, provided you may not have photoshop
    http://www.tsi.enst.fr/~brettel/TESTS/Gamma/Gamma.html )
    set your color options to manual and enable ICM.

    If you use any printing software that has color management output to
    the print device, that would be best disabled in order to let the
    printer handle the color.

    I think after that you will print exactly what you see with the
    default profiles that install with the printer drivers.

    Also, if your ICM isnt working well for you and you still need to
    darken the photo, instead of icm, set to photo/dark..

    Give those a try, you might be surprised.

    Also, If you have any kodak papers laying around, a great setting for
    Ultima upp3a or the like,

    Plus glossy
    manual
    enable ICM
    plus 7 or so of yellow

    those give fantasic results on ultima glossy

    and finally , if you make your own profiles from an It8, then you use
    your own instead of canons of course...

    In article Taliesyn says...
    > The ink in Canon's i860 BCI-6 cartridges seems to differ quite strongly
    > from the BCI-3e's in the i850. I'm getting a lot more subtle shades now
    > when I do graphics. Before, on the i850, if I was to go one or two shade
    > (on my desktop publishing program) lighter, there would be no noticeable
    > difference. Sometimes it took 5 shades or more. Matter of fact, I had a
    > lot of trouble getting the printed result to look anything like the
    > screen. But on my new Canon i860, one or two shades up or down and I get
    > get positive, noticeable results. The colors on the whole are brighter,
    > happier, and not muddy. Now I get a dark red instead of a brownish red.
    > pure yellow is definitely more yellow. Green is bright green instead of
    > blah green. It's definitely the ink, as I see it. Naturally, my photos
    > look a lot more realistic too - people in the sun *look* like they're
    > in the sun, and not in the shade. Yup, it's the ink... quite different.

    You're comparing a 3 colour printer with a 4 colour printer. Others have
    used the same ink in i850s and i560s with identical results. Were you
    using Canon ink in both or was your 850 on some other brand?

    colinco wrote:
    > In article Taliesyn says...
    >
    >>The ink in Canon's i860 BCI-6 cartridges seems to differ quite strongly
    >>from the BCI-3e's in the i850. I'm getting a lot more subtle shades now
    >>when I do graphics. Before, on the i850, if I was to go one or two shade
    >>(on my desktop publishing program) lighter, there would be no noticeable
    >>difference. Sometimes it took 5 shades or more. Matter of fact, I had a
    >>lot of trouble getting the printed result to look anything like the
    >>screen. But on my new Canon i860, one or two shades up or down and I get
    >>get positive, noticeable results. The colors on the whole are brighter,
    >>happier, and not muddy. Now I get a dark red instead of a brownish red.
    >>pure yellow is definitely more yellow. Green is bright green instead of
    >>blah green. It's definitely the ink, as I see it. Naturally, my photos
    >>look a lot more realistic too - people in the sun *look* like they're
    >>in the sun, and not in the shade. Yup, it's the ink... quite different.
    >>

    > You're comparing a 3 colour printer with a 4 colour printer.

    That 4th color is a black!... And I printed pure yellow (for example)
    and it was considerably richer on the i860 (same print settings). I'm
    seeing shades of colours I've never been able to reproduce on the i850 -
    using either Canon or Atlantic Inkjet inks!

    If it isn't the ink then there's a major difference somewhere else
    between the i850 and the i860.

    >Others have used the same ink in i850s and i560s with identical results.

    Did I mention I was picky? ;-). I notice the smallest deviations. I
    don't know who these others are that you speak of or how picky they are.

    > Were you using Canon ink in both or was your 850 on some other brand?

    I made some simple side by side tests last year with the i850: Canon
    ink versus compatible bulk inks from Atlantic Inkjet. As far as my eyes
    could tell they were identical - photos side by sides were exact.

    My first digital photo on the i860 blew me away too. Using Kodak's
    (4x6) Premium Picture Paper (which isn't their best) results on the
    i850 were always considerably less that stunning. I thought they were
    quite lousy and had blamed the paper (thought it was cheap). But with
    the i860 the results were downright stunning - as good or better than
    most of the results with my best High Gloss papers. (I compared the
    same photo I had just printed a day earlier on the i850 with one printed
    on the i860).

    By the way, a photo printed on my old i850 was identical to one printed
    next door on my sister's i850. So we know my i850 was functioning
    normally. But apparently, not quite the match for the i860.

    -Taliesyn

    In article Taliesyn says...
    > Did I mention I was picky? ;-). I notice the smallest deviations. I
    > don't know who these others are that you speak of or how picky they are.

    My reason for searching on 3e/6 differences or similarity was in case I
    needed ink at short notice for an i865. The local stores usually have
    more 3e than 6. The dpreview printer forum has some people claiming that
    there is no difference. Nobody has disputed those statements.

    I don't know whether the differences you see can be attributed to a
    newer driver for the i860 rather than the ink.

    ==============

    Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<4103FA74.8080809@netscape.net>...
    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > > Gee, Taliesyn, I thought Canons could do no wrong and only Epson
    > > printers caused banding?
    > >

    > Art, that's your statement, not mine; I don't recall ever complaining
    > about Epsons banding. My gripe was against their superior CLOGGING
    > ability, especially the 740. In other words, clogging was so severe
    > a whole colour could disappear!
    >
    > > Chances are you are experiencing some nozzle clogging. The advantage to
    > > the Canon models is most have removable heads that can be cleaned using
    > > ammoniated window cleaner, just like the Epsons but much easier with the
    > > Canons with head outside of the printer.
    > >

    > I did a nozzle check and an alignment. Nozzle check came out fine,
    > matching the original from last year.
    >
    > I even did a menu deep cleaning, something I've never done.
    >
    > > I've looked at a number of newer Canon prints and some have banding that
    > > develops over time. I suspect it just is a matter of cleaning and
    > > nothing more.
    > >

    > Well, at your suggestion, I thought a full, outside the printer cleaning
    > might be worth it. And it was actually fun. The heads hadn't been
    > cleaned in a year. I removed and taped the cartridges. Wiped the print
    > head assembly, soaked it in a dish with window cleaner. Then forced,
    > with a cut-off syringe, clean fluid through the intakes several times,
    > and let it sit for an hour in the dish, changing the liquid twice.
    >
    > Then I dried it, re-installed it and the cartridges, and ran a cleaning
    > cycle. After aligning the print heads I did a nozzle check. The results
    > were normal (perfect) as before.
    >
    > I then printed a glossy photo in the highest resolution, as always,
    > and noticed no change from a photo I printed just before the cleaning.
    > Slight vertical lines in places... more like visible printing passes.
    > They are more visible when photo is turned 90 degrees, so that they're
    > horizontal when looking at them. They are more prominent in blue skies,
    > skin tones and pavement.
    >
    > I should add that these printing bands only seem to stand out in photo
    > printing and not when doing graphics (same highest resolution).
    >
    > I then went next door to my sister's house and tried the same print
    > on her Canon i850. The results were identical as with my printer.
    >
    > I've come to the conclusion (after the major head cleaning and comparing
    > with another Canon i850) that everything is normal and that I'm simply
    > too fussy - better than most people at seeing printing passes, lines or
    > bands, whatever they are.... Which would explain why some people like to
    > call me a perfectionist.
    >
    > -Taliesyn

    No you're not [too fussy] - I have the identical problem, even after a
    new print head, under warranty, numerous cleanings, out of the printer
    cleaning, everything possible. I have wasted too much ink, time and
    paper, and I will be contacting Canon very soon to demand a full
    replacement printer. Perhaps if we all do the same, they will take
    notice?

    Roger

    Banding is an expected result if the wrong setting is used for a particular
    paper. As an example, I have some inexpensive Georgia Pacific Professional
    Photo Paper which gives banding if the paper type is set to PPP or Glossy. A
    setting of plain paper results in a very good print.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    "B. Peg" <bent_peg@att.nett> wrote in message
    > My banding problem occurred when I used a non-Canon paper on a Canon i960.
    > Never occurred with their glossy paper. Very odd.
    >
    > B~

    ---
    AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Printers Canon Peripherals