Ben Pope, et al.

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to pick up an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 for next to
nothing. I know it's an older board, but newer than my MSI K7T Turbo LE

Question is,
What am I going to run up against with the Asus board?
I've already Googled and see a need to update the bios.
What else?

Many thanks,

Garry

Ed

On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:41:52 GMT, "iTsMeMa" <itsmema@mamma.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have the opportunity to pick up an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 for next to
>nothing. I know it's an older board, but newer than my MSI K7T Turbo LE
>
>Question is,
>What am I going to run up against with the Asus board?
>I've already Googled and see a need to update the bios.
>What else?
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Garry

From posts I've seen (in the Asus group) the 1.04 don't do 200 FSB very
well if at all.

Ed

iTsMeMa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the opportunity to pick up an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 for next
> to nothing. I know it's an older board, but newer than my MSI K7T Turbo LE
>
> Question is,
> What am I going to run up against with the Asus board?

Well, you should be fairly safe, but...

There are a whole host of problems you COULD come up with, but don't let
that put you off.

> I've already Googled and see a need to update the bios.
> What else?

Depends... what RAM and CPU you gonna put in it?

If you were me, you'd download all the relevant drivers and BIOS first.
Whack them on a CD. Then:

Install the latest BIOS as soon as you can. (ok, so maybe you need a
floppy, not a CD)

Then install Windows and make sure you are getting "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" in
the machine description.

Once windows is installed, install the 3.13 nForce drivers. Then reboot.

Then install your graphics drivers, reboot.

Then plug into a network and fully update Windows (if you WERE me, you'd
have a slipstreamed Windows CD so that no service pack is required, you
might also have most of the critical and recommended updates on said CD)

Then think about updating the Audio and IDE drivers available separately
from nVidias website.

Then install some games and have fun. :p

Ben

"iTsMeMa" <itsmema@mamma.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have the opportunity to pick up an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 for next
> nothing. I know it's an older board, but newer than my MSI K7T Turbo LE
>
> Question is,
> What am I going to run up against with the Asus board?
> I've already Googled and see a need to update the bios.
> What else?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Garry

Gary, it depends on if you have downloaded and installed version 1.07 BIOS
revision from Asus. And, if you have PC3500 DDRAM or faster, plus an
unlocked CPU.

I had all of those on my system, and could overclock to 3200+ with these
settings:
200 FSB and used 10.5 as the muliplier.

Wayne

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Am going to be running my unlocked XP2400, but havent chosen ram yet.
All told, this sounds like an awesome saturday afternoon project!
(and saturday night and maybe sunday morning)

Thanks much,

Garry

"Wayne @ W." <not@listed.4u> wrote in message

> "iTsMeMa" <itsmema@mamma.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have the opportunity to pick up an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 for next
>> nothing. I know it's an older board, but newer than my MSI K7T Turbo LE
>>
>> Question is,
>> What am I going to run up against with the Asus board?
>> I've already Googled and see a need to update the bios.
>> What else?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Garry
>>

> Gary, it depends on if you have downloaded and installed version 1.07 BIOS
> revision from Asus. And, if you have PC3500 DDRAM or faster, plus an
> unlocked CPU.
>
> I had all of those on my system, and could overclock to 3200+ with these
> settings:
> 200 FSB and used 10.5 as the muliplier.
>
> Wayne

minotaur

iTsMeMa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the opportunity to pick up an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 for next to
> nothing. I know it's an older board, but newer than my MSI K7T Turbo LE
>
> Question is,
> What am I going to run up against with the Asus board?
> I've already Googled and see a need to update the bios.
> What else?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Garry

You shall find the optimal FSB speed is apx 197FSB, on the older
revision boards. Other than that it is a fine board, Asus just retarded
the BIOS starting with BIOS 1003 onwards to get 200FSB compatability.
Hence why memory speed tests are faster at 197FSB than 200FSB..

I know that from experiance, used to have a revision 1.04 and now have a
revision 2 board (@ 220FSB).

Minotaur (8*

iTsMeMa wrote:
> Thanks for the replies, guys.
>
> Am going to be running my unlocked XP2400, but havent chosen ram yet.
> All told, this sounds like an awesome saturday afternoon project!
> (and saturday night and maybe sunday morning)

Well if you haven't purchased the RAM, just buy PC3200...

Ben

On Sun, 9 May 2004 19:56:12 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>iTsMeMa wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have the opportunity to pick up an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 for next
>> to nothing. I know it's an older board, but newer than my MSI K7T Turbo LE
>>
>> Question is,
>> What am I going to run up against with the Asus board?
>
>Well, you should be fairly safe, but...
>
>There are a whole host of problems you COULD come up with, but don't let
>that put you off.
>
>> I've already Googled and see a need to update the bios.
>> What else?
>
>Depends... what RAM and CPU you gonna put in it?
>
>If you were me, you'd download all the relevant drivers and BIOS first.
>Whack them on a CD. Then:
>
>Install the latest BIOS as soon as you can. (ok, so maybe you need a
>floppy, not a CD)
>
>Then install Windows and make sure you are getting "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" in
>the machine description.
>
>Once windows is installed, install the 3.13 nForce drivers. Then reboot.
>
>Then install your graphics drivers, reboot.
>
>Then plug into a network and fully update Windows (if you WERE me, you'd
>have a slipstreamed Windows CD so that no service pack is required, you
>might also have most of the critical and recommended updates on said CD)
>
>Then think about updating the Audio and IDE drivers available separately
>from nVidias website.
>
>Then install some games and have fun. :p
>
>Ben

Hi Ben,
I followed all except: what's a "slipstreamed Windows CD"?
Thanks
--
JH (email address is invalid)

>Hi Ben,
>I followed all except: what's a "slipstreamed Windows CD"?
>Thanks

Slipstreamed means SP1 is installed simultaneously with the Operating
System Installation.

So updated info / drivers / specs / upgraded hardware knowledge is/are
used from the initial start.

Ben may get back to you later, if not you know anyway.

BoroLad

In article <dbrhb0101abshk2pctccr0qmdnvalue2bs@4ax.com>,
borolad@myowseintheboro.org writes

>>Hi Ben,
>>I followed all except: what's a "slipstreamed Windows CD"?
>>Thanks
>
>Slipstreamed means SP1 is installed simultaneously with the Operating
>System Installation.
>
>So updated info / drivers / specs / upgraded hardware knowledge is/are
>used from the initial start.

Has anyone achieved this with NT4 and sp6?
--
Roger Hunt

Lotsa sites on the web to explain slipstreamed install cd's.
Try http://www.theeldergeek.com/ as an example.

Regards,

Garry

Joe Hunter wrote:
> On Sun, 9 May 2004 19:56:12 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> iTsMeMa wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have the opportunity to pick up an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 for
>>> next to nothing. I know it's an older board, but newer than my MSI
>>> K7T Turbo LE
>>>
>>> Question is,
>>> What am I going to run up against with the Asus board?
>>
>> Well, you should be fairly safe, but...
>>
>> There are a whole host of problems you COULD come up with, but don't
>> let that put you off.
>>
>>> I've already Googled and see a need to update the bios.
>>> What else?
>>
>> Depends... what RAM and CPU you gonna put in it?
>>
>> If you were me, you'd download all the relevant drivers and BIOS
>> first. Whack them on a CD. Then:
>>
>> Install the latest BIOS as soon as you can. (ok, so maybe you need a
>> floppy, not a CD)
>>
>> Then install Windows and make sure you are getting "ACPI
>> Uniprocessor PC" in the machine description.
>>
>> Once windows is installed, install the 3.13 nForce drivers. Then
>> reboot.
>>
>> Then install your graphics drivers, reboot.
>>
>> Then plug into a network and fully update Windows (if you WERE me,
>> you'd have a slipstreamed Windows CD so that no service pack is
>> required, you might also have most of the critical and recommended
>> updates on said CD)
>>
>> Then think about updating the Audio and IDE drivers available
>> separately from nVidias website.
>>
>> Then install some games and have fun. :p
>>
>> Ben
>
> Hi Ben,
> I followed all except: what's a "slipstreamed Windows CD"?
> Thanks

This is the best guide I know of:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm