Chieftec BX-02 case - a question of fans

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Bit of a basic question really but I still need to ask it.

Planning to buy a Chieftec BX-02 case and there doesn't seem to be a manual
on the Chieftec site. I know a manual is a bit useless but I want to know
where the fan openings are and what sizes go where, so I can order the fans
when I order the case.

I don't plan to fit a full set of fans, unless it proves necessary. Now,
given that I am not likely to be drastically overclocking my PC but are
likely to have quite a few drives installed and that I live in England
(where the room temperature rarely exceeds 22C or 72F), we get to my
question.

What comments/suggestions would you folk please care to offer regarding my
fan population?

The set up will be a Gigabyte NNXP + AMD 2500 + 512megs of Kinston PC3200
(another 512megs to be added later) + at least 3 hard drives, a DVD writer
and a CD drive, all hanging off an Antec 430 watt True power supply.

Hope you can please find the time to help me out.

Thanks
Pete

On Sun, 09 May 2004 15:38:00 GMT, Pete <peter@piper.org> wrote:

>Bit of a basic question really but I still need to ask it.

>Planning to buy a Chieftec BX-02 case and there doesn't seem to be a manual
>on the Chieftec site. I know a manual is a bit useless but I want to know
>where the fan openings are and what sizes go where, so I can order the fans
>when I order the case.

I'm confused with the ' 02 ' bit, what are the other numbers/letters
after ' 02 ' ? The reason for asking is the change in fan
size/location/thermal flow changes from April this year.

I have not yet had my hands on one of the ' 1904 ' spec but I have
built dozens under their OEM brand [ 18-1B & 19-2A ] I can however say
they are one of, if not the best case I have ever put together.

Changes are:
-rear x2 80's to one 120
-front x2 80's to one 120
-side none to x2 80-'s

In short does your case have [ two ] x2 80mm ' blow holes ' in the
side panel ?

>I don't plan to fit a full set of fans, unless it proves necessary. Now,
>given that I am not likely to be drastically overclocking my PC but are
>likely to have quite a few drives installed and that I live in England
>(where the room temperature rarely exceeds 22C or 72F), we get to my
>question.

>What comments/suggestions would you folk please care to offer regarding my
>fan population?

Other than that the case needs to be:

-positive pressure - just more in than out - REM your PSU has two fans
-quiet as possible - 2000 rpm is good enough
-direct cooled hard drives - SY-001-AK about a £iver from:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_Coolers_57.html
and -no blind spots

>The set up will be a Gigabyte NNXP + AMD 2500 + 512megs of Kinston PC3200
>(another 512megs to be added later) + at least 3 hard drives, a DVD writer
>and a CD drive, all hanging off an Antec 430 watt True power supply.

Modern video cards produce a great deal of heat, hence the reason for
the side blow holes, I do however note that this 04 chassis does not
appear to have the top blow hole which was one of it's trademarks on
the previous builds.

>Hope you can please find the time to help me out.

>Thanks
>Pete
BoroLad

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Thanks for getting back to me with some useful suggestions.

The BX-02 is the latest external design from Chieftec with some other
changes too, maybe. I will be able to say in the next few days as
impatience got the better of me and I ordered the case plus 2 x 80mm and 2
x 92mm fans, as the shipping was the same.

If anyone is looking for these cases, ebuyer has them for £19.99 plus VAT
which seems an incredible price to me.

Should you folks think of any other hints and tips to help me in my foray
into the deep, dark world of self-build cases please post them. I will
never know enough not to need help.

Thanks again and keep posting

Pete.