DVD drive enable/disable issue

I have a verry small problem, but since I am an amateur when it comes to
technicalities I am unable to solve it. It happens so that I have
accidentally disabled my dvd drive using some sort of a program (which
came with another application, which didn't work on my computer so I've
erased it), the problem is that I have erased that particular
application (which came on a dvd), forgotting it's name and therefore
cannot use it to enable my dvd drive again (this is really annoying; I
know, and stupid :rolleyes: ). So, now everytime I try to use my dvd
drive it gives me a "cannot be found" error message. Please could
anyone tell how to enable my dvd drive?! Big Thanks!

--
Djuro

You didn't mention which OS you have. I suppose it is XP. Go to Control
Panel, click on System, then switch to "Hardware" tab and click "Device
Manager". Find "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and open it. You should now see your
DVD drive. Double-click on it and see if "Device usage:" is set to "Use
this device (enable)". If not, change it to this value.

Also, while still there, go to "Driver" tab and try the "Roll Back
Driver" button. If that doesn't work (prompts you to open
troubleshooter), click on the "Update Driver..." button and make sure
you are connected to the Internet. You may now optionally insert CD you
got with your drive (if you have it) and it should work.

Even if that doesn't work, click on the "Uninstall" button, reboot your
system, and Windows should start "Found New Hardware Wizard" and then
insert installation disk which you got.

--
Madboy