Using Athlon XP on Abit KT7A-RAID, ver. 1.0

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
May 10, 2004 12:33:36 AM

I'm an overclocking novice, but I have been running with an Athlon XP
2100+ in my KT7A-RAID v1.0 for over a year. I've been investigating
whether or not I can upgrade (say to a 3000+) and now I wonder if I even
have my 2100+ configured right.

I have Aware BIOS A9. These are the current BIOS settings I have:

CPU Operating Speed 1900+(133)
Multiplier Factor x12 (default for 1900+)
CPU FSB/PCI Clock 133/33 (default for 1900+)
CPU FSB Plus (MHz) 0 (default for 1900+)
Speed Error Hold Disabled (default for 1900+)

Are these correct, or should I use "User Defined" for the CPU Operating
Speed and manualy set the other values? If so, what should they be to
use the 2100+ at spec (no overclocking)?

Could I use a faster chip (like the 3000+)? Is there any benefit with
my old board to get a 333 or 400 FSB XP chip? If I were to put in a (oh
let's say) 3000+ 333FSB XP chip, what would the proper settings be for
it (no overclocking)?

If I wanted to overclock, do I just increase the Multiplier Factor, or
the other settings as well?
--
=__ __ __ _ __ _= Andrew Krieg - Software Engineering Consultant =
=_ __ _ __ _ _ __= =

On Sun, 09 May 2004 20:33:36 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:

> I'm an overclocking novice, but I have been running with an Athlon XP
> 2100+ in my KT7A-RAID v1.0 for over a year. I've been investigating
> whether or not I can upgrade (say to a 3000+) and now I wonder if I even
> have my 2100+ configured right.
>
> I have Aware BIOS A9. These are the current BIOS settings I have:
>
> CPU Operating Speed 1900+(133)
> Multiplier Factor x12 (default for 1900+)
> CPU FSB/PCI Clock 133/33 (default for 1900+)
> CPU FSB Plus (MHz) 0 (default for 1900+)
> Speed Error Hold Disabled (default for 1900+)
>
> Are these correct, or should I use "User Defined" for the CPU Operating
> Speed and manualy set the other values? If so, what should they be to
> use the 2100+ at spec (no overclocking)?

The 2100+ default is 13x133. What it's actually running at now depends on
which cpu you have, locked, unlocked, Tbred A, B, Palomino. If you have a
an unmodded Palomino, it's lock at 13 multiplier, and should be running at
1733MHz (13x133). What does it show on the post screen when you boot?
Which CPU do you have? See link in sig line for more info.

> Could I use a faster chip (like the 3000+)? Is there any benefit with
> my old board to get a 333 or 400 FSB XP chip? If I were to put in a (oh
> let's say) 3000+ 333FSB XP chip, what would the proper settings be for
> it (no overclocking)?

The answer to this question is complex. Yes, you could use one, but it
also depends on if it's locked or not. The FSb is set by the MB, not the
cpu. You can use multipliers up to 24x if the cpu is not a locked one.

> If I wanted to overclock, do I just increase the Multiplier Factor, or
> the other settings as well?

Multiplier x FSB clock = CPU speed.

Now if your 2100+ is a Tbred B core (like the one below), cpuid 681, then
you already have a lot of unleashed power just waiting for you to use it.

a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2004 3:23:11 PM

In article <pan.2004.05.10.06.45.32.836504@TAKEOUTverizon.net>,
Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:
>On Sun, 09 May 2004 20:33:36 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:
>
>> I'm an overclocking novice, but I have been running with an Athlon XP
>> 2100+ in my KT7A-RAID v1.0 for over a year. I've been investigating
>> whether or not I can upgrade (say to a 3000+) and now I wonder if I even
>> have my 2100+ configured right.
>>
>> I have Aware BIOS A9. These are the current BIOS settings I have:
>>
>> CPU Operating Speed 1900+(133)
>> Multiplier Factor x12 (default for 1900+)
>> CPU FSB/PCI Clock 133/33 (default for 1900+)
>> CPU FSB Plus (MHz) 0 (default for 1900+)
>> Speed Error Hold Disabled (default for 1900+)
>>
>> Are these correct, or should I use "User Defined" for the CPU Operating
>> Speed and manualy set the other values? If so, what should they be to
>> use the 2100+ at spec (no overclocking)?
>>
>The 2100+ default is 13x133. What it's actually running at now depends on
>which cpu you have, locked, unlocked, Tbred A, B, Palomino. If you have a
>an unmodded Palomino, it's lock at 13 multiplier, and should be running at
>1733MHz (13x133). What does it show on the post screen when you boot?
>Which CPU do you have? See link in sig line for more info.

Can SiSoftware Sandra be trusted to identify this? That tool reports
the CPU as:

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
Speed : 1.73GHz
Model Number : 2100 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR2513 (estimated)
Type : Standard
Package : Socket A PGA
Multiplier : 13/1x
Generation : G7
Name : Duron M6 & Athlon 4/MP/XP (Palomino) 180nm 1-1.8GHz 1.7-1.75V
Revision/Stepping : 6 / 2 (0)
Stepping Mask : A5
Core Voltage Rating : 1.750V
Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 34-bit / 32-bit
Native Page Size : 4kB

Co-Processor (FPU)
Type : Built-in
Revision/Stepping : 6 / 2 (0)

I'll do the reboot and report later.

--
=__ __ __ _ __ _= Andrew Krieg - Software Engineering Consultant =
=_ __ _ __ _ _ __= =
=_ _ _ ___= E-mail: krieg@execpc.SPAM.BLOCK.com.ME.TO =
=_ __ _ __ _ __ _= WWW: http://my.execpc.com/~krieg =
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2004 11:43:21 PM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:23:11 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:

> Can SiSoftware Sandra be trusted to identify this? That tool reports
> the CPU as:
>
> Processor
> Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
> Speed : 1.73GHz
> Model Number : 2100 (estimated)
> Multiplier : 13/1x
> Name : Duron M6 & Athlon 4/MP/XP (Palomino) 180nm 1-1.8GHz 1.7-1.75V
> Revision/Stepping : 6 / 2 (0)
> Core Voltage Rating : 1.750V

It reported this one right. It's a Palomino core 2100+ and is running at
the proper speed. You might get a little more speed out of it, but it's
not worth trying if you ask me. You'd be lucky to get more than 1800MHz
out of it stable.

There's lot of upgrade options for the KT7A although it's limited to a
base 133MHz FSB (and will overclock to about 145). Any cpu with a default
133MHz FSB should work fine in it at the proper speed. Standard model max
would be a 2600+/266. I think all MP's have a default 133MHz FSB, so any
of those should work. With cpu's that have a higher default FSb, it would
need to be an unlocked model to get the normal or higher speed out of it.
These include the Barton XP's.

Any unlocked cpu with a default multiplier of 13 or higher will default to
a 20x multiplier when put in the board, so the cpu must be able to boot at
2000MHz or you're screwed. So don't try and unlock your Palomino. It
won't boot afterwards. Niether will Tbred A core 2100+ or 2200+'s. So some
choices to upgrade.
Locked or unlocked (doesn't matter)
2400+/266
2600+/266
Any /266 model

Unlocked (You need to know what you're doing)
Any Tbred B core or Barton core.

a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2004 1:04:11 AM

Hey! Did you upgrade and did it work out?

I have a KT7a-raid and would love to upgrade until newer mobo's come
out later in the fall.

What is the fastest processor I can use without having to unlock and
having any stability issues?

==============
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2004 7:20:54 AM

On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:04:11 -0400, scobee wrote:

> Hey! Did you upgrade and did it work out?
>
> I have a KT7a-raid and would love to upgrade until newer mobo's come
> out later in the fall.
>
> What is the fastest processor I can use without having to unlock and
> having any stability issues?

Stabilty has to do with much more than the cpu so can't truthfull7y answer
that part. As for the CPU, any 266FSB (133MHz) model will work at full
speed. I guess that would be a barton 2800+ MP, though I haven't really
researched for anything faster.

a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2004 9:06:23 PM

hello, can anyone tell me if one of the following cpus will work on my
kt7a-raid (1.0) without any trouble and if yes, which to choose.
i'd really like to upgrade and could get those cpus pretty cheap but i
don't want to mess with the hardware.

AMD Athlon K7 XP 2400+/266 Socket-A Thoroughbred
AMD Athlon K7 XP 2400+/266 Socket-A Thorton

and would this still give me a noticable performance boost, even if
the memory is only 133mhz? i mainly want to upgrade because of newer
games.
thanks.

==============
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2004 5:04:49 AM

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:06:23 -0400, nmx wrote:

> hello, can anyone tell me if one of the following cpus will work on my
> kt7a-raid (1.0) without any trouble and if yes, which to choose.
> i'd really like to upgrade and could get those cpus pretty cheap but i
> don't want to mess with the hardware.

How you going to install it then.:-)

> AMD Athlon K7 XP 2400+/266 Socket-A Thoroughbred
> AMD Athlon K7 XP 2400+/266 Socket-A Thorton

Either should work. Maybe one out of a hundred or more have the timing
problem which sometimes requires hitting reset after power on to get a
proper boot.

> and would this still give me a noticable performance boost, even if the
> memory is only 133mhz? i mainly want to upgrade because of newer games.
> thanks.

Memory isn't a problem. It will be within 98% as fast as a DDR system. How
much of a performance increase you see will depend on what you are
replacing now, which you didn't say. So no answer.

a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2004 6:05:10 AM

hi, and thanks for the fast reply. well installing the cpu shouldn't
be a problem i just didn't want to have to tweak around but just
place it in the socket, apply the cooler and set up the bios ;)

i'm currently running a thunderbird c @1200mhz what kinda is the
bottleneck on my system with a gf4 ti4600. ram is 512mb standard
133mhz.

so if i understand you right it doesn't make much of a difference if i
get the thoroughbred or the thorton besides maybe some lower
temperatures on the thornton, or is there some difference concerning
potential overclocking.

==============
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2004 2:19:53 PM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:05:10 -0400, nmx wrote:

> hi, and thanks for the fast reply. well installing the cpu shouldn't
> be a problem i just didn't want to have to tweak around but just
> place it in the socket, apply the cooler and set up the bios ;)
>
> i'm currently running a thunderbird c @1200mhz what kinda is the
> bottleneck on my system with a gf4 ti4600. ram is 512mb standard
> 133mhz.

You should notice a substantial performance increase with a 2400+.
Almost twice the clock speed, 4 times the cache, and SSE instructions.

> so if i understand you right it doesn't make much of a difference if i
> get the thoroughbred or the thorton besides maybe some lower
> temperatures on the thornton, or is there some difference concerning
> potential overclocking.

I haven't heard of any problems with the Thorton, but I have only used a
Tbred. But basically, the Tbred B, Barton, and Thorton are all the same
core. As for overclocking, I think it will depend more on the individual
piece of silicon than anything else.

a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2004 9:05:25 PM

ok after researching a bit i decided to go for the tbred as i read
that its not possible to multplier unlock a thorton (even if i could
double its cache with modifications) in case i want to overclock it
one day.

another question. i read on some forums that people had serious
stability issues with 2400+ xp's on kt7a v.1.0, especially when
running on 133fsb.

about the stability i'm willing to try out since i can return the cpu
within 2 weeks but if i can't get it running on 133fsb would it be
much of a performance loss to go with 100mhz, and wouldnt running on
100fsb mean that i had to unlock the multiplier if i want full core
of 2000mhz?

anyway thanks a lot for your help wes ;)

==============
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2004 11:27:17 AM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:05:25 -0400, nmx wrote:

> another question. i read on some forums that people had serious
> stability issues with 2400+ xp's on kt7a v.1.0, especially when
> running on 133fsb.

There shouldn't ba a problem as long as you have other good components.

> about the stability i'm willing to try out since i can return the cpu
> within 2 weeks but if i can't get it running on 133fsb would it be
> much of a performance loss to go with 100mhz, and wouldnt running on
> 100fsb mean that i had to unlock the multiplier if i want full core
> of 2000mhz?

If you get a locked one and have problems at 133, try something a little
slower around 130 or so. If you get an unlocked one, then it will default
to 20x100MHz on first boot. At the same clock speed, there's about 3%
performance difference between 100 and 133MHz FSB.

a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2004 11:05:50 PM

ok, thought i post my results in case anyone wants to do the same.
in the end i got a thorton 2400+ as it was a bit cheaper and as i
didnt think i'd have the luck of getting an unlocked tbred.

i just installed it set the bios (A9) to default values >=12
multiplier and 133mhz fsb. system came up identifying an AMD
Athlon(tm) 2000Mhz and this way with 1.65v vore and cpu drive
strength set to auto windows xp ran quite fine , no errors in prime95
too. linux boot process and 3dmark 2001 tho caused it to freeze.
after some hours of trial and error i got it running with the same
fast bios settings that worked before, only vcore set to 1.75v and
cpu drive strength to 3. that way it runs quite stable, i ran a
couple rounds of the 3dmark2001 even with increased settings and it
didnt hang.p95 seems fine too but i didnt have time to test it a
really long time.

only when i put the system under really hard load (ie copying files
from dvd to hd while encoding video) it still freezes.
i thought about setting the vcore even higher to maybe get it fully
stable but i don't know how high i can go without damaging the cpu.
anyway the performance increase is quite noticable, i can play even
new games like farcry and programs work faster too.

==============
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2004 2:05:42 PM

allright i think i finally figured out what caused the high load
lockups.
i had always wondered why my really cheap ram had worked on turbo
settings with the 1200mhz cpu.
well now with the 2400+ it doesnt. i set the ram timing to normal and
couldn't get the system to lock up even when running under high load
for hours.
cpu temp remains at 48 °C with 1.75 vcore.