fbs/memory trick?

i heard if you set your fbs to around 197 you can still use pc2700
memory and everything still runs right together at the right speed,is
that true?

sam unwise wrote:
> i heard if you set your fbs to around 197 you can still use pc2700
> memory and everything still runs right together at the right speed,is
> that true?

I assume you mean FSB.

The answer, generally, is no.

PC2700 is rated to 166MHz. It is guaranteed to work at 166MHz. Because
there is a variation in the quality of components, there is generally a
margin of error built in, to be sure that a certain percentage (usually a
very high one) that they will work at 166MHz. This means that instead of
designing them for 166, you might design them for say, 175MHz. And you
might find that 30% of them reach 185, and that 5% reach 195, and that 2%
reach 199MHz (I'm making these numbers up, I would suspect them to follow
something like a normal distribution).

So the answer is that you can almost certainly run them at more than 166MHz,
but how much more depends on a lot of things, notably surrounding quality.

Ben

Am 9 May 2004 14:46:20 -0700 schrieb sam unwise:

> i heard if you set your fbs to around 197 you can still use pc2700
> memory and everything still runs right together at the right speed,is
> that true?

Rising the Front Side Bus for the memory could be done if you rise the
Vdimm: Voltage for your RAM
Success is unlikely

On Sun, 09 May 2004 14:46:20 -0700, sam unwise wrote:

> i heard if you set your fbs to around 197 you can still use pc2700
> memory and everything still runs right together at the right speed,is
> that true?

The answer is maybe, maybe not. Depends on MB.:)

"sam unwise" <datrooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i heard if you set your fbs to around 197 you can still use pc2700
> memory and everything still runs right together at the right speed,is
> that true?

Some pc2700 memory might run at that speed. Personally I've upped the fsb
from 166 to 200 for cpu increases but left the memory at 166 - adequate
performance improvement from that tweak.