XMame in OSX?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 24, 2005 9:14:45 PM

I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?
--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

More about : xmame osx

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:14:46 PM

On 24/4/05 5:14 pm, in article d4gglc$h6r$1@domitilla.aioe.org, "MCR"
<mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote:

> I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
> MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?

You can download unofficial Xcode builds of MacMAME from here:

http://www.bannister.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_top...;f=26;t=004040

Feedback is encouraged :)
--
Online: http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood/
Blog: http://johnhood.blogspot.com/

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:14:45 +0100, MCR wrote:

> I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
> MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?

I know little about Mac. I know (very) slightly more about Windows XP,
but still -- both would be a very thin book, as it were.

Having said that, what is the benefit of a Mac over a generic white-box
machine that you can rip apart and rebuild at will? (This P4 began life
as a P2, for example.) I know that Linus Torvald is also running Apple
gear these days.

Is it still a situation where you pay twice the money for half the power
like it used to be, or is there a compelling reason to look at Apple stuff
these days?
April 24, 2005 9:59:38 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:36:43 -0600, innocent_lamb <nospam@example.com>
wrote:

>Is it still a situation where you pay twice the money for half the power
>like it used to be, or is there a compelling reason to look at Apple stuff
>these days?

Great question, Mr. Lamb! I'm also very interested in hearing the
answer to this.

--
Rick

I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
(John Lennon)
April 24, 2005 10:10:00 PM

* innocent_lamb wrote in alt.games.mame:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:14:45 +0100, MCR wrote:

>> I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
>> MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?

> I know little about Mac. I know (very) slightly more about Windows XP,
> but still -- both would be a very thin book, as it were.

> Having said that, what is the benefit of a Mac over a generic white-box
> machine that you can rip apart and rebuild at will? (This P4 began life
> as a P2, for example.) I know that Linus Torvald is also running Apple
> gear these days.

> Is it still a situation where you pay twice the money for half the power
> like it used to be, or is there a compelling reason to look at Apple stuff
> these days?

Well, to be fair the new MAC Mini can be had for a $499 (1.2ghz PPC G4
W/ 256Ram and a Combo Drive) And you can run a very slick OS (OSX OR
Linux) but your other points RE: upgrading are very valid. Apple had at
one time freed up the HW but they took it back.

I'd like to have one as a toy but 'upgrading' is quite a stretch. My bud
that is a staunch MAC addict (Uses exclusively @ work and home) is
considering 'upgrading' to a PC for his gaming needs.

--
David
If you write something wrong enough, I'll be glad to make up a new

John Hood wrote:
> On 24/4/05 5:14 pm, in article d4gglc$h6r$1@domitilla.aioe.org, "MCR"
> <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote:
>

>>I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
>>MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?
>

> You can download unofficial Xcode builds of MacMAME from here:
>
> http://www.bannister.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_top...;f=26;t=004040
>
> Feedback is encouraged :)

Cheers!

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:23:22 PM

In article <d4gglc$h6r$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
MCR <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote:

> I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
> MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?

Well, it should work if it will run under X11:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/
I haven't given it a go, since MacMame does everything I need and I
haven't actually bothered looking into X11 as of yet.
-There are also some well hidden unofficial MacMame-distributions that
one may come across from time to time.
What Macintosh are you planning to get, if I may ask so bluntly?

Cheerio
TXW

--
The Apple Darwin fish as a desktop picture:
http://www.macdesktops.com/images/1024x768/MCWdarwinFis...

innocent_lamb a écrit :
> Is it still a situation where you pay twice the money for half the power
> like it used to be, or is there a compelling reason to look at Apple stuff
> these days?

I don't think so, especially for notebooks.

The biggest advantage of Macs ? Mac OS X. Try it in an Apple Store ;)

--
Laurent Raufaste
analogue @ http://www.glop.org/

On 24/4/05 7:35 pm, in article 426be6d3$0$20500$626a14ce@news.free.fr,
"analogue" <analogue@glop.org> wrote:

> The biggest advantage of Macs ? Mac OS X. Try it in an Apple Store ;)

Agreed. :)
--
Online: http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood/
Blog: http://johnhood.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:46:08 AM

In article <pan.2005.04.24.17.36.43.197690@example.com>,
innocent_lamb <nospam@example.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:14:45 +0100, MCR wrote:
>
> Is it still a situation where you pay twice the money for half the power
> like it used to be, or is there a compelling reason to look at Apple stuff
> these days?

Mac Mini!
http://www.apple.com/macmini/
And here is the Mini's specs and prices:
http://tinyurl.com/ck8f9
The OS is included in the price, and bear in mind 10.4 Tiger will be
released next friday, and will replace 10.3 Panther.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/overview/

Btw, you made a typo in another string, you meant to write "1 gigabyte",
but, erm, you typed 1 megabyte, I bet 5 to 10 people have already been
posting obscene remarks on your account. ...Just mention that you have
contacts in the ministry of propaganda, that should make people come to
their senses, otherwise shake a stick or an umbrella at them and talk in
a loud manner (it works on lions! (maybe)).

Cheerio!
TXW

--
I presume that Apple will name the next big OS revision:
10.5 Königstiger/Tiger Royal and _not_ go straight for 10.5.1 Jagd Tiger.

MCR wrote:
> I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
> MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?

xmame run on MacOSX, you have to run X11
advanceMAME also run on MacOSX, I'll post a link to prebuild dmg later.

Eric

--
Il n'a pas tort, mais vous avez raison.
-+- LF In GNU : Soyons prudents -+-

Eric Deveaud wrote:
> MCR wrote:
> > I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
> > MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?
>

> xmame run on MacOSX, you have to run X11
> advanceMAME also run on MacOSX, I'll post a link to prebuild dmg later.

Xmame and advanceMAME precompiled version
<URL:http://www.ltc.lu/enseignants/carlo.noben/pages/project...;

you can also check the un-oficial MacMAME build provided by arekkusu
<URL:http://homepage.mac.com/arekkusu/FileSharing1.html&gt;

Eric
--
à mail and news de microsoft, ont pouvait faire un del total de
tous messages sur tous les news groupes (c'est l'un des bugs du

Eric Deveaud wrote on 26. April 2005:

> MCR wrote:
>> I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
>> MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?
>

> xmame run on MacOSX, you have to run X11
> advanceMAME also run on MacOSX, I'll post a link to prebuild dmg later.

May be you can run it in SVGA mode too. Works in Linux (probably Unix,
and since OSX is based on that...), and no need to even install X.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;

On 2005-04-26 11:20:52 -0700, Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> said:

> Eric Deveaud wrote on 26. April 2005:
>>
>> MCR wrote:
>>> I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
>>> MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?
>>

>> xmame run on MacOSX, you have to run X11
>> advanceMAME also run on MacOSX, I'll post a link to prebuild dmg later.
>
> May be you can run it in SVGA mode too. Works in Linux (probably Unix,
> and since OSX is based on that...), and no need to even install X.

I don't think SVGALib exists for Mac OS X. However, I did get the SDL
version to work without an X server. I did have to remove some code in
the SDL version that asks the X server for the screen size. (This was
last year, so things might be different now.)

One problem is that the config files don't support spaces in path
names, but Mac users often put spaces in folder or volume names.
Should we change MAME so that the config files support escaped
characters?

MCR, what do you actually want? Do you want to run XMame on the Mac,
or an up-to-date version of MacMame?

--
Derek Ledbetter
derekl@serve.com

innocent_lamb wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:14:45 +0100, MCR wrote:
>

>>I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
>>MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?
>

> I know little about Mac. I know (very) slightly more about Windows XP,
> but still -- both would be a very thin book, as it were.
>
> Having said that, what is the benefit of a Mac over a generic white-box
> machine that you can rip apart and rebuild at will? (This P4 began life
> as a P2, for example.) I know that Linus Torvald is also running Apple
> gear these days.
>
> Is it still a situation where you pay twice the money for half the power
> like it used to be, or is there a compelling reason to look at Apple stuff
> these days?

Not really. I just fancy buying a Mac as well. I like the look of OSX
and I thought why not?

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
April 27, 2005 12:58:29 AM

Eric Deveaud wrote:
> Eric Deveaud wrote:
>
>> MCR wrote:
>>
>>> I am thinking of 'upgrading' to a mac... does XMame work under OSX as
>>> MacMAME doesnt seem that well maintained?
>>

>> xmame run on MacOSX, you have to run X11
>> advanceMAME also run on MacOSX, I'll post a link to prebuild dmg later.
>>

> Xmame and advanceMAME precompiled version
> <URL:http://www.ltc.lu/enseignants/carlo.noben/pages/project...;
>
> you can also check the un-oficial MacMAME build provided by arekkusu
> <URL:http://homepage.mac.com/arekkusu/FileSharing1.html&gt;
>
> Eric
> --
> à mail and news de microsoft, ont pouvait faire un del total de
> tous messages sur tous les news groupes (c'est l'un des bugs du
> logiciel) fort heureusement personne ne l'a vu ou utiliser.
> -+- J0 in <http://neuneu.mine.nu&gt; : Docteur Follanews -+-

Thanks for the link

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:14:40 AM

Derek Ledbetter wrote on 26. April 2005:

> On 2005-04-26 11:20:52 -0700, Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> said:
>
>> Eric Deveaud wrote on 26. April 2005:
>>> xmame run on MacOSX, you have to run X11
>>> advanceMAME also run on MacOSX, I'll post a link to prebuild dmg later.
>> May be you can run it in SVGA mode too. Works in Linux (probably
>> Unix,
>> and since OSX is based on that...), and no need to even install X.
>
> I don't think SVGALib exists for Mac OS X. However, I did get the SDL
> version to work without an X server. I did have to remove some code
> in the SDL version that asks the X server for the screen size. (This
> was last year, so things might be different now.)

On <http://www.svgalib.org/&gt; I only find the sources and other
packages. Not emtioned if for Unix too (might be a tree in the tarball).

> One problem is that the config files don't support spaces in path
> names, but Mac users often put spaces in folder or volume names.
> Should we change MAME so that the config files support escaped
> characters?

You can quote or escape them in config files. Or when reading from the
config add quotes around the string.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;
April 27, 2005 5:29:18 AM

MCR wrote on 26. April 2005:

> Not really. I just fancy buying a Mac as well. I like the look of
> OSX and I thought why not?

Beware: It's Unix (you know Linux is a Unix clone) based, you probably
don't want this. ;-)
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;
April 27, 2005 3:36:26 PM

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> MCR wrote on 26. April 2005:
>
>>Not really. I just fancy buying a Mac as well. I like the look of
>>OSX and I thought why not?
>

> Beware: It's Unix (you know Linux is a Unix clone) based, you probably
> don't want this. ;-)

I like GNU/Linux, I really do. It just doesnt work with my hardware.
Perhaps if I bought or made a 'normal' PC without all this obscure
hardware like wireless cards etc it would be better. The other problem
with Linux is it doesnt feel 'finished', it always seems like a WIP.

The reasoning behind me thinking about buying into a Mac is simply that
it would be a complete package, OS X, hardware & iTunes etc all work. No
tweaking libraries or editing source code (unless I want to I guess).

I like the look of OS X and will just add it to my family network.

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
April 27, 2005 3:38:39 PM

Derek Ledbetter wrote:
Snipped

> MCR, what do you actually want? Do you want to run XMame on the Mac, or
> an up-to-date version of MacMame?

I dont care if its XMame or MacMAME, but I would prefer an up to date
version, and I am not into compiling binaries etc, I would just like to
download a binary. Also I know next to nothing about OS-X (Something
that attracts me to it), so I dont want to start editing or installing
display systems.
--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:39:10 PM

On 27/4/05 11:38 am, in article d4nq2t$obr$2@domitilla.aioe.org, "MCR"
<mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote:

> I dont care if its XMame or MacMAME, but I would prefer an up to date
> version, and I am not into compiling binaries etc, I would just like to
> download a binary. Also I know next to nothing about OS-X (Something
> that attracts me to it), so I dont want to start editing or installing
> display systems.

You can grab an Xcode 1.5 binary here (direct link):

http://homepage.mac.com/arekkusu/.Public/MacMAME095.zip

But you will need to run the official MacMame first (direct link):

http://www.macmame.org/files/MacMAME-0.87b.dmg

Hope this helps!

Drop by the forum and ask the crowd. They're a friendly bunch.

http://www.bannister.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=for...;f=26
--
Online: http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood/
Blog: http://johnhood.blogspot.com/
April 27, 2005 6:49:31 PM

MCR wrote:

> Derek Ledbetter wrote:
> Snipped
>
> > MCR, what do you actually want? Do you want to run XMame on the Mac, or
> > an up-to-date version of MacMame?
> >

> I dont care if its XMame or MacMAME, but I would prefer an up to date
> version, and I am not into compiling binaries etc, I would just like to
> download a binary. Also I know next to nothing about OS-X (Something
> that attracts me to it), so I dont want to start editing or installing
> display systems.

You may want to wait a little while to buy a Mini; Tiger (the new OS X)
comes out Friday, and Apple has taken to charging up the Microsoft for
the new OSes. I'm thinking of getting a Mini when it starts coming with
Tiger (which might be a couple of months, but hey, maybe it will be next
week), since with iLife and Tiger, it would be about $200 in software
that I keep not buying separately.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:01:18 PM

On 27/4/05 3:49 pm, in article 426FA67A.2237F337@nospam.com, "Ted"
<nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote:

> You may want to wait a little while to buy a Mini; Tiger (the new OS X)
> comes out Friday, and Apple has taken to charging up the Microsoft for
> the new OSes. I'm thinking of getting a Mini when it starts coming with
> Tiger (which might be a couple of months, but hey, maybe it will be next
> week), since with iLife and Tiger, it would be about $200 in software
> that I keep not buying separately.

A good point. Rumour sites suggest that Apple may revise the Mini soon too.

Roll on Friday.
--
Online: http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood/
Blog: http://johnhood.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:04:01 PM

MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>> MCR wrote on 26. April 2005:
>>>Not really. I just fancy buying a Mac as well. I like the look of
>>>OSX and I thought why not?
>> Beware: It's Unix (you know Linux is a Unix clone) based, you probably
>> don't want this. ;-)
> I like GNU/Linux, I really do. It just doesnt work with my hardware.
> Perhaps if I bought or made a 'normal' PC without all this obscure
> hardware like wireless cards etc it would be better. The other problem
> with Linux is it doesnt feel 'finished', it always seems like a WIP.

I use wireless cards under linux. You just need to know which ones have
support, and which ones you have to use NDISwrapper on.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:59:21 PM

MCR wrote on 27. April 2005:

> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>>
>> Beware: It's Unix (you know Linux is a Unix clone) based, you
>> probably
>> don't want this. ;-)
>
> I like GNU/Linux, I really do. It just doesnt work with my
> hardware. Perhaps if I bought or made a 'normal' PC without all this
> obscure hardware like wireless cards etc it would be better. The
> other problem with Linux is it doesnt feel 'finished', it always seems
> like a WIP.

Not Linux' fault that manufacturers don't provide drivers for it. But
then there are many developpers which create drivers for Linux. ecause
manufacturers usually don't provide informations either they have to do
alot of trial and error, and the quality of the driver might not be as
good as the Windows counterpart. And the installation is not doing
"automatically". But all well documented (in English, so should be not a
problem for you :-), and if you don't fear the command line you should be
fine with it.

Then there is always Knoppix, which usually is up to date with
drivers. And you might have good luck it detects everything by itself.

What's the hardware you talk about? Name, may be chip sets? If it has a
Prism chipset your W-LAN should have generic Linux support since half a
year.

> The reasoning behind me thinking about buying into a Mac is simply
> that it would be a complete package, OS X, hardware & iTunes etc all
> work. No tweaking libraries or editing source code (unless I want to I
> guess).

Well, if Linux has a driver for your hardware, it's the same. Otherwise
there is some manual work. And there are more and more userfriendly
drivers nowadays. Click and it does the job.

> I like the look of OS X and will just add it to my family network.

Mac is nice. When I was in London in October 2003 I fell in love with a
cute white iBook there. And nice to know it runs on Unix (those days I
still thought it's a Linux clone it runs at).

I appreciate anything you use, as long it's not Windows. :-)
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;
April 27, 2005 8:13:06 PM

On 2005-04-26 22:14:40 -0700, Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> said:

> Derek Ledbetter wrote on 26. April 2005:
>>
>> On 2005-04-26 11:20:52 -0700, Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> said:
>> One problem is that the config files don't support spaces in path
>> names, but Mac users often put spaces in folder or volume names.
>> Should we change MAME so that the config files support escaped
>> characters?
>
> You can quote or escape them in config files. Or when reading from the
> config add quotes around the string.

I only tried it with backslashes, not quotes.

--
Derek Ledbetter
derekl@serve.com

Hellmark wrote:
> MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
>
>>Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

>>>Beware: It's Unix (you know Linux is a Unix clone) based, you probably
>>>don't want this. ;-)
>>
>>I like GNU/Linux, I really do. It just doesnt work with my hardware.
>>Perhaps if I bought or made a 'normal' PC without all this obscure
>>hardware like wireless cards etc it would be better. The other problem
>>with Linux is it doesnt feel 'finished', it always seems like a WIP.
>

> I use wireless cards under linux. You just need to know which ones have
> support, and which ones you have to use NDISwrapper on.

Exactly... I am not going to sod around with a wrapper trying to get a
wireless card working, that could have any number of dependancy issues
that could break existing apps.

I have Linux on my system, it just cannot go online :-)

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:23:22 AM

MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> Hellmark wrote:
>> I use wireless cards under linux. You just need to know which ones have
>> support, and which ones you have to use NDISwrapper on.
> Exactly... I am not going to sod around with a wrapper trying to get a
> wireless card working, that could have any number of dependancy issues
> that could break existing apps.
> I have Linux on my system, it just cannot go online :-)

Actually, The wrapper is pretty stable, and hasn't been known to break
anything.
April 28, 2005 1:49:38 AM

John Hood wrote:
> On 27/4/05 11:38 am, in article d4nq2t$obr$2@domitilla.aioe.org, "MCR"
> <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote:
>

>>I dont care if its XMame or MacMAME, but I would prefer an up to date
>>version, and I am not into compiling binaries etc, I would just like to
>>download a binary. Also I know next to nothing about OS-X (Something
>>that attracts me to it), so I dont want to start editing or installing
>>display systems.
>

> You can grab an Xcode 1.5 binary here (direct link):
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/arekkusu/.Public/MacMAME095.zip
>
> But you will need to run the official MacMame first (direct link):
>
> http://www.macmame.org/files/MacMAME-0.87b.dmg
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Drop by the forum and ask the crowd. They're a friendly bunch.
>
> http://www.bannister.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=for...;f=26

Thanks for all the info and links.... now all I need is to tell me that
OSX is easy to use and easy for ex-windows users to pick up.

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:49:39 AM

On 27/4/05 9:49 pm, in article d4ott2$a22$1@domitilla.aioe.org, "MCR"
<mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for all the info and links.... now all I need is to tell me that
> OSX is easy to use and easy for ex-windows users to pick up.

You're most welcome.
--
Online: http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood/
Blog: http://johnhood.blogspot.com/
April 28, 2005 1:50:34 AM

Ted wrote:
Snipped

> You may want to wait a little while to buy a Mini; Tiger (the new OS X)
> comes out Friday, and Apple has taken to charging up the Microsoft for
> the new OSes. I'm thinking of getting a Mini when it starts coming with
> Tiger (which might be a couple of months, but hey, maybe it will be next
> week), since with iLife and Tiger, it would be about $200 in software
> that I keep not buying separately.

Thanks for the info... I may indeed wait, I might as well have Tiger :-)

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
April 28, 2005 3:37:03 AM

* MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:

> ... Also I know next to nothing about OS-X (Something
> that attracts me to it), ...

No deleteing the OS and running back to Windows on this one though, I
suppose you could upgrade it to Linux.

;P~

--
David
Oh, I am a C programmer and I'm okay

Hellmark wrote:
> MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
>
>>Hellmark wrote:
>>
>>>I use wireless cards under linux. You just need to know which ones have
>>>support, and which ones you have to use NDISwrapper on.
>>
>>Exactly... I am not going to sod around with a wrapper trying to get a
>>wireless card working, that could have any number of dependancy issues
>>that could break existing apps.
>>I have Linux on my system, it just cannot go online :-)
>

> Actually, The wrapper is pretty stable, and hasn't been known to break
> anything.

And I can just read a small FAQ to install it? or are we talking page
after page of MAN pages, interdispersed with nerdspeak?

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
April 28, 2005 3:46:24 AM

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
Snip

> Not Linux' fault that manufacturers don't provide drivers for it. But
> then there are many developpers which create drivers for Linux. ecause
> manufacturers usually don't provide informations either they have to do
> alot of trial and error, and the quality of the driver might not be as
> good as the Windows counterpart. And the installation is not doing
> "automatically". But all well documented (in English, so should be not a
> problem for you :-), and if you don't fear the command line you should be
> fine with it.

I am fine with the command line, but I am not prepared to spend days on
end trying to get a $20 wireless card running, risking the stability of
my lovely linux partition.

> Then there is always Knoppix, which usually is up to date with
> drivers. And you might have good luck it detects everything by itself.

I like knoppix, but it seriously locks up on my system... must be either
my wireless card, my RAID card or other driver issues.

> What's the hardware you talk about? Name, may be chip sets? If it has a
> Prism chipset your W-LAN should have generic Linux support since half a
> year.

Mate, thats the issue.. Joe average dont wanna be finding out what his
chipset is for his wireless card... but since you're asking its a RTL8180

>>The reasoning behind me thinking about buying into a Mac is simply
>>that it would be a complete package, OS X, hardware & iTunes etc all
>>work. No tweaking libraries or editing source code (unless I want to I
>>guess).
>

> Well, if Linux has a driver for your hardware, it's the same. Otherwise
> there is some manual work. And there are more and more userfriendly
> drivers nowadays. Click and it does the job.

If I buy off the shelf Mac, problem solved.

>>I like the look of OS X and will just add it to my family network.
>

> Mac is nice. When I was in London in October 2003 I fell in love with a
> cute white iBook there. And nice to know it runs on Unix (those days I
> still thought it's a Linux clone it runs at).
>
> I appreciate anything you use, as long it's not Windows. :-)

Agh! Come on, Windows aint THAT bad, maybe it's my job to get you into
Longhorn ;-)
--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
April 28, 2005 3:47:03 AM

* MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>> MCR wrote on 26. April 2005:

>>>Not really. I just fancy buying a Mac as well. I like the look of
>>>OSX and I thought why not?

>> Beware: It's Unix (you know Linux is a Unix clone) based, you probably
>> don't want this. ;-)

> I like GNU/Linux, I really do. It just doesnt work with my hardware.
> Perhaps if I bought or made a 'normal' PC without all this obscure
> hardware like wireless cards etc it would be better. The other problem
> with Linux is it doesnt feel 'finished', it always seems like a WIP.

Thats because of your hardware issues. I have been playing around in
other DE's and I have to say, they are really looking great. gdesklets
in gnome make it look amazing. I had never even considered gnome an
option until I saw these.

Fluxbox can be made to look quite pretty also. With a box full of
supported hardware your 'unfinished' feelings would be gone. Every day I
use Linux I love it more and more.

All that said, I am also seriously considering the mini :)

--
David
Justice, n.:

MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> Hellmark wrote:
>> MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
>>>Exactly... I am not going to sod around with a wrapper trying to get a
>>>wireless card working, that could have any number of dependancy issues
>>>that could break existing apps.
>>>I have Linux on my system, it just cannot go online :-)
>> Actually, The wrapper is pretty stable, and hasn't been known to break
>> anything really.
> And I can just read a small FAQ to install it? or are we talking page
> after page of MAN pages, interdispersed with nerdspeak?

Depends on how you install it. You can get a giant manpage, or follow a
nice step by step faq.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/In...

If you are a debian user, add this to /etc/apt/sources.list :
deb http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/debian ./

That'll simplify the install greatly.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:20:59 AM

MCR wrote on 27. April 2005:

> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> Snip
>

>> Not Linux' fault that manufacturers don't provide drivers for it. But
>> then there are many developpers which create drivers for Linux. ecause
>> manufacturers usually don't provide informations either they have to do
>> alot of trial and error, and the quality of the driver might not be as
>> good as the Windows counterpart. And the installation is not doing
>> "automatically". But all well documented (in English, so should be not a
>> problem for you :-), and if you don't fear the command line you should be
>> fine with it.
>
> I am fine with the command line, but I am not prepared to spend days
> on end trying to get a $20 wireless card running, risking the
> stability of my lovely linux partition.

You usually cannot break Linux even if a driver is broken. You can, like
on Windows, boot into a kind of "Safe mode" (aka init S) and remove the

[...]

>> What's the hardware you talk about? Name, may be chip sets? If it has a
>> Prism chipset your W-LAN should have generic Linux support since half a
>> year.
>
> Mate, thats the issue.. Joe average dont wanna be finding out what his
> chipset is for his wireless card... but since you're asking its a
> RTL8180

<http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~siklkepp/rtl8...; might
help. It's in english. But it looks like a toughy. But then, the page is
From 2003, so today it might be easier. I can find out more information
(but email then, f'up poster set anyway not to annoy the others; I hope
you have an email address by now, otherwise ignore the f'up :-) if you
really want.

[...]

>>>I like the look of OS X and will just add it to my family network.
>> Mac is nice. When I was in London in October 2003 I fell in love
>> with a
>> cute white iBook there. And nice to know it runs on Unix (those days I
>> still thought it's a Linux clone it runs at).
>> I appreciate anything you use, as long it's not Windows. :-)
>
> Agh! Come on, Windows aint THAT bad, maybe it's my job to get you into
> Longhorn ;-)

In the cage of NGSCB/TCPA? Not really, wanna be free. :-)

F'up poster.