ATA or SATA hard drive?

I have two identical HDs at present on my AMD Athlon XP1800, 512MB.
Both are '60GB 7200rpm MAXTOR 6L060J3 UDMA-133 EIDE with 2MB buffer'.
I'm looking for a new 200 GB HD, but there appear to be two types: ATA
and SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment). How can I establish
beyond any doubt which I need please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry,

SATA is faster than ATA, at present SATA can transfer 150MB /s, while ATA
can transfer 133MB /s.

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>I have two identical HDs at present on my AMD Athlon XP1800, 512MB.
> Both are '60GB 7200rpm MAXTOR 6L060J3 UDMA-133 EIDE with 2MB buffer'.
> I'm looking for a new 200 GB HD, but there appear to be two types: ATA
> and SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment). How can I establish
> beyond any doubt which I need please?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:32:22 +0500, "yurishka"
<yurishka@public.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Terry,
>
>SATA is faster than ATA, at present SATA can transfer 150MB /s, while ATA
>can transfer 133MB /s.
>

>"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>I have two identical HDs at present on my AMD Athlon XP1800, 512MB.
>> Both are '60GB 7200rpm MAXTOR 6L060J3 UDMA-133 EIDE with 2MB buffer'.
>> I'm looking for a new 200 GB HD, but there appear to be two types: ATA
>> and SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment). How can I establish
>> beyond any doubt which I need please?

Irrelevant. Neither type of drive can sustain that transfer rate. Terry
needs to find out if his motherboard supports SATA. If it does he can get
a PATA (or ATA as he calls it) drive or a SATA drive, otherwise just a
PATA drive. Also, remember to enable 48bit support if you want to use the
new drive as just one big partition. http://www.48bitlba.com/

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:32:22 +0500, "yurishka"
><yurishka@public.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Terry,
>>
>>SATA is faster than ATA, at present SATA can transfer 150MB /s, while ATA
>>can transfer 133MB /s.
>>

>>"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>>I have two identical HDs at present on my AMD Athlon XP1800, 512MB.
>>> Both are '60GB 7200rpm MAXTOR 6L060J3 UDMA-133 EIDE with 2MB buffer'.
>>> I'm looking for a new 200 GB HD, but there appear to be two types: ATA
>>> and SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment). How can I establish
>>> beyond any doubt which I need please?
>
>Irrelevant. Neither type of drive can sustain that transfer rate. Terry
>needs to find out if his motherboard supports SATA. If it does he can get
>a PATA (or ATA as he calls it) drive or a SATA drive, otherwise just a
>PATA drive. Also, remember to enable 48bit support if you want to use the
>new drive as just one big partition. http://www.48bitlba.com/

Thanks. I'll have to check to be 100% sure, but I reckon this PC
doesn't support SATA. FWIW, my m/b = ASUS A7A266-E, BIOS = Award
Software with ASUS A7A266-E ACPI BIOS v 1009, System Chipset = M1647
ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller.

Unless I'm going to actually see any of that extra potential speed of
an SATA type, I reckon I'll probably go for a 'MAXTOR 200GB HARD DRIVE
7200RPM DiamondMax Plus 10 ATA-133 Average Seek Time 9.4 ms'. Does
that sound OK to you?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Think you better stay with ATA. (or PATA).

It does not look like that motherboard supports SATA.

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7A266-E&langs=09

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
> Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:32:22 +0500, "yurishka"
>><yurishka@public.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Terry,
>>>
>>>SATA is faster than ATA, at present SATA can transfer 150MB /s, while
>>>ATA
>>>can transfer 133MB /s.
>>>

>>>"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>
>>Irrelevant. Neither type of drive can sustain that transfer rate. Terry
>>needs to find out if his motherboard supports SATA. If it does he can get
>>a PATA (or ATA as he calls it) drive or a SATA drive, otherwise just a
>>PATA drive. Also, remember to enable 48bit support if you want to use the
>>new drive as just one big partition. http://www.48bitlba.com/
>
> Thanks. I'll have to check to be 100% sure, but I reckon this PC
> doesn't support SATA. FWIW, my m/b = ASUS A7A266-E, BIOS = Award
> Software with ASUS A7A266-E ACPI BIOS v 1009, System Chipset = M1647
> ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller.
>
> Unless I'm going to actually see any of that extra potential speed of
> an SATA type, I reckon I'll probably go for a 'MAXTOR 200GB HARD DRIVE
> 7200RPM DiamondMax Plus 10 ATA-133 Average Seek Time 9.4 ms'. Does
> that sound OK to you?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

If the motherboard does not natively support SATA drives, you can always add
a SATA PCI controller.

"Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
> Think you better stay with ATA. (or PATA).
>
> It does not look like that motherboard supports SATA.
>
> http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7A266-E&langs=09
>
> --
> Jon Hildrum
> DTS MVP
> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
> www.hildrum.com
> "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>>>Irrelevant. Neither type of drive can sustain that transfer rate. Terry
>>>needs to find out if his motherboard supports SATA. If it does he can
>>>get
>>>a PATA (or ATA as he calls it) drive or a SATA drive, otherwise just a
>>>PATA drive. Also, remember to enable 48bit support if you want to use
>>>the
>>>new drive as just one big partition. http://www.48bitlba.com/
>>
>> Thanks. I'll have to check to be 100% sure, but I reckon this PC
>> doesn't support SATA. FWIW, my m/b = ASUS A7A266-E, BIOS = Award
>> Software with ASUS A7A266-E ACPI BIOS v 1009, System Chipset = M1647
>> ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller.
>>
>> Unless I'm going to actually see any of that extra potential speed of
>> an SATA type, I reckon I'll probably go for a 'MAXTOR 200GB HARD DRIVE
>> 7200RPM DiamondMax Plus 10 ATA-133 Average Seek Time 9.4 ms'. Does
>> that sound OK to you?
>>
>> --
>> Terry, West Sussex, UK

"Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote:

>Think you better stay with ATA. (or PATA).
>
>It does not look like that motherboard supports SATA.
>
>http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7A266-E&langs=09

Thanks, that clinches it, I'll go for ATA.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:32:22 +0500, "yurishka"
<yurishka@public.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>I have two identical HDs at present on my AMD Athlon XP1800, 512MB.
>> Both are '60GB 7200rpm MAXTOR 6L060J3 UDMA-133 EIDE with 2MB buffer'.
>> I'm looking for a new 200 GB HD, but there appear to be two types: ATA
>> and SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment). How can I establish
>> beyond any doubt which I need please?
>>
>> --
>> Terry, West Sussex, UK
>>

>Terry,
>
>SATA is faster than ATA, at present SATA can transfer 150MB /s, while ATA
>can transfer 133MB /s.

Not relevant. SATA has the capability to grow in the future, that's
true. Currently, though, it is limited at 150, while older ATA runs
at 133. The difference is so minimal that you won't really notice the
difference in throughput.