pocket PC 2003: worth it?

July 23, 2004 7:31:04 PM

I have an IPAQ 3955 running PPC 2002 and i'm thinking about upgrading to PPC 2003. Is it worth the money/trouble? Are therer any people who have 2003 that find it better then 2002 and why? I've been having a bit of instability latley on my PPC. thank for the opinions!

JT

More about : pocket 2003 worth

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 7:31:05 PM

I upgraded my iPaq 3850, Axim X5, and Phone Edition to 2003 and am happy
with the upgrades (now waiting to decide which 2nd Edition device to buy).

You can read about the benefits of migrating from 2002 to 2003 in an article
I wrote last year. You can find it at...

Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Software for Pocket PC 2003
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2003/07/23/mob...
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

"JT" <JT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an IPAQ 3955 running PPC 2002 and i'm thinking about upgrading to
PPC 2003. Is it worth the money/trouble? Are therer any people who have
2003 that find it better then 2002 and why? I've been having a bit of
instability latley on my PPC. thank for the opinions!

> JT
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 8:51:45 PM

Hi, Todd

In your article, I'd say you cover the improvements in PPC 2003 pretty well.
The biggest improvements appear to be in the area of wireless communication.
And of course the new apps - Pictures & Jawbreaker.

You didn't mention whether you found that the amount of available RAM or
Flash ROM was less after the upgrade. On the Viewsonic V37 this is certainly
the case. That, combined with the fact that I don't do wireless, made me
decide to stick with PPC 2002 on my V37. (Plus the fact that the version of
MS Reader included in WM 2003 doesn't work correctly on the V37!)

The upgrade on the V37 is _not_ reversible. If you're considering an upgrade
of some other model, make sure that it's reversible, or try to get a look at
the same model that's already been upgraded.

Cheers

- rick

"Todd Ogasawara, MVP Mobile Devices" <Todd_MSN@NOSPAMmsn.com> wrote in
message news:%23Mw08WQcEHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I upgraded my iPaq 3850, Axim X5, and Phone Edition to 2003 and am happy
> with the upgrades (now waiting to decide which 2nd Edition device to buy).
>
> You can read about the benefits of migrating from 2002 to 2003 in an
article
> I wrote last year. You can find it at...
>
> Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Software for Pocket PC 2003
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2003/07/23/mob...
> --
> Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
> Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info
> http://www.OgasaWalrus.com/MobileDot/ - Brief News & Comments
>
> "JT" <JT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have an IPAQ 3955 running PPC 2002 and i'm thinking about upgrading to
> PPC 2003. Is it worth the money/trouble? Are therer any people who have
> 2003 that find it better then 2002 and why? I've been having a bit of
> instability latley on my PPC. thank for the opinions!
> >
> > JT

Related resources
July 23, 2004 8:58:02 PM

thanks for the input guys! TOdd, did you notice a stability improvment?

JT
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 12:15:57 AM

You know that some of the stability issues come from third-party software,
so since you seem to indicate that the stability issues are recent, you may
want to consider what you have recently added to the device.

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer

Applied Data Systems
www.applieddata.net
An ISO 9001:2000 Registered Company
Microsoft WEP Gold-level Member
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 3:31:06 AM

>I have an IPAQ 3955 running PPC 2002 and i'm thinking about upgrading to PPC 2003. Is it worth the money/trouble? Are therer any people who have 2003 that find it better then 2002 and why? I've been having a bit of instability latley on my PPC. thank for the opinions!
>
>JT

On the i700 the upgrade is unreal. No lag. Everything is much faster.
WMP9 lets you go to different places of an MP3 that's over 18MB in
size. That's great for radio shows. That player now supports landscape
mode. PIE is much faster. Still can't log on to gmail........ oh well.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:40:07 AM

I upgraded my Ipaq 3950 to 2003 and I'm glad I did the upgrade. It fixed a
few niggles, particularly the searching within contacts is much better.

--
Brett

When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I
was an only child...eventually.
!