One way network problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 3:10:01 AM

Got a problem that's defeated a few wise heads so far.

network is one XP-Home desktop, wired to router. Router also wired to
laptop docking station, and to other desktops. All other desktops are WinME.
Laptop is Win98.

Network all works fine wired. Seems to work fine wireless... except:

All desktop PCs can see laptop and share files on it - either docked or
wireless. But when running wireless, although everythign works fine from the
networked PCs, from the laptop I can see zip and can't even ping the router.
The wireless NIC has been given an DHCP OK. It can ping itself - but not the
network. Plug it back in and it can ping - but presumably through the wired
NIC. I've taken firewall (Norton 2004) off completely and there is no
difference. Tried two different wireless PCMIA NIC cards. Same symtopms.

I suspect there's something horribly wrong in the TCP/IP system on the W98
laptop... but if this was the case why doesn't it affect the wired interface
too?

I've been through the web pages of some recommnedations from other posting
in this newsgroup - and not found a solution that works.

More about : network problem

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2005 2:35:25 AM

This may or may not be feasible or good, but it worked for me. Try
setting your wireless NIC to a static address, use the router ip for dns
and gateway; and make sure the subnet mask is the same throughout.
Remember the router needs static ip addressing to be enabled, which you
will need the MAC of the wireless NIC to set set this up. (My d-link
will get and clone this but I don't know that all routers do this).

HTH
Damase

> All desktop PCs can see laptop and share files on it - either docked or
> wireless. But when running wireless, although everythign works fine from the
> networked PCs, from the laptop I can see zip and can't even ping the router.
> The wireless NIC has been given an DHCP OK. It can ping itself - but not the
> network. Plug it back in and it can ping - but presumably through the wired
> NIC. I've taken firewall (Norton 2004) off completely and there is no
> difference. Tried two different wireless PCMIA NIC cards. Same symtopms.
>
> I suspect there's something horribly wrong in the TCP/IP system on the W98
> laptop... but if this was the case why doesn't it affect the wired interface
> too?
>
> I've been through the web pages of some recommnedations from other posting
> in this newsgroup - and not found a solution that works.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2005 9:24:04 AM

Had a go at following this advice... but still no change.

Thanks anyway

"Damase" wrote:

> This may or may not be feasible or good, but it worked for me. Try
> setting your wireless NIC to a static address, use the router ip for dns
> and gateway; and make sure the subnet mask is the same throughout.
> Remember the router needs static ip addressing to be enabled, which you
> will need the MAC of the wireless NIC to set set this up. (My d-link
> will get and clone this but I don't know that all routers do this).
>
> HTH
> Damase
> >
> > All desktop PCs can see laptop and share files on it - either docked or
> > wireless. But when running wireless, although everythign works fine from the
> > networked PCs, from the laptop I can see zip and can't even ping the router.
> > The wireless NIC has been given an DHCP OK. It can ping itself - but not the
> > network. Plug it back in and it can ping - but presumably through the wired
> > NIC. I've taken firewall (Norton 2004) off completely and there is no
> > difference. Tried two different wireless PCMIA NIC cards. Same symtopms.
> >
> > I suspect there's something horribly wrong in the TCP/IP system on the W98
> > laptop... but if this was the case why doesn't it affect the wired interface
> > too?
> >
> > I've been through the web pages of some recommnedations from other posting
> > in this newsgroup - and not found a solution that works.

Related resources
April 23, 2005 3:29:13 PM

"Mikek13" <Mikek13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > All desktop PCs can see laptop and share files on it - either docked or
>> > wireless. But when running wireless, although everythign works fine
>> > from the
>> > networked PCs, from the laptop I can see zip and can't even ping the
>> > router.
>> > The wireless NIC has been given an DHCP OK. It can ping itself - but
>> > not the
>> > network. Plug it back in and it can ping - but presumably through the
>> > wired
>> > NIC. I've taken firewall (Norton 2004) off completely and there is no
>> > difference. Tried two different wireless PCMIA NIC cards. Same
>> > symtopms.
>> >
>> > I suspect there's something horribly wrong in the TCP/IP system on the
>> > W98
>> > laptop... but if this was the case why doesn't it affect the wired
>> > interface
>> > too?

Try this using wireless: open a command line on the laptop and type
\\name of one of the other PCs\name of a shared folder, of course using the
actual name of a PC and its folder. If that doesn't work try again using
the PCs IP address rather than its name. If the laptop tcp/ip is
functioning this should at least let you access files on the other machines.
At least you'll have some more info on the problem.

mike
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2005 3:29:14 PM

Dear Mike - thanks for this - but I have done this ad nauseam. As I tried to
explain, this works 100% fine when connected to wired LAN with or without
wireless enabled. Take the wire lan away, and I can ping the laptop from
the network fine (ie ping the wirelesss NIC), but I can't ping any of the
network (IP or name - but I believe IP is more fundamental).

Not only can I ping the wireless NIC, I can share files both directions from
the network PCs, but I can't see a damn thing from the laptop. And since it
won't resolve the network IPs, I can't browse the net either from it.

It seems really odd to me that the LAN NIC works fine, the wireless NIC is
obviously working, but W98 on the lap top won't drive it properly....

Very frustrating!!

Regards

!