about DVD-RW Drive Interface?

How do i found out what type DVD-RW interface i have?

Interface: IDE (ATA/EIDE/ATAPI)
IDE (Ultra ATA/66)

You read the manual that came with the drive
peterk

the problem
"typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do i found out what type DVD-RW interface i have?
>
> Interface: IDE (ATA/EIDE/ATAPI)
> IDE (Ultra ATA/66)

the drive doesn't have a manual, it came with the computer. I'm thinking of
buying a new dvd burner drive, but i don't know the what type interface is
appropiate for my computer.

here is what i see on the device manager on my computer

HP DVD Writer 300c
Details: IDE\CDROMHP_DVD_WRITER_300C

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Intel(R) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Intel(R) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

does this mean i have to buy a dvd drive that have interface ATAPI IDE
Interface or ATA?

"peterk" wrote:

> You read the manual that came with the drive
> peterk
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
> the problem
> "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do i found out what type DVD-RW interface i have?
> >
> > Interface: IDE (ATA/EIDE/ATAPI)
> > IDE (Ultra ATA/66)

Most if not all DVD burners have the Atapi interface.........which connects
it to the IDE slot on the motherboard.
A few burners now have a SATA connection......but you want the normal
everyday DVD .
ATAPI devices include CD-ROMs, CD-Recordable, CD-RW, DVD, tape drives, some
super-floppy drives (ZIP and LS-120), and changers.
did that answer your question??

> the drive doesn't have a manual, it came with the computer. I'm thinking
> of
> buying a new dvd burner drive, but i don't know the what type interface is
> appropiate for my computer.
>
> here is what i see on the device manager on my computer
>
> HP DVD Writer 300c
> Details: IDE\CDROMHP_DVD_WRITER_300C
>

> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
> Intel(R) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
> Intel(R) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
> Primary IDE Channel
> Primary IDE Channel
> Secondary IDE Channel
> Secondary IDE Channel
>
> does this mean i have to buy a dvd drive that have interface ATAPI IDE
> Interface or ATA?
>

> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> You read the manual that came with the drive
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>> about
>> the problem
>> "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do i found out what type DVD-RW interface i have?
>> >
>> > Interface: IDE (ATA/EIDE/ATAPI)
>> > IDE (Ultra ATA/66)

yea i got it, thanks

"peterk" wrote:

> Most if not all DVD burners have the Atapi interface.........which connects
> it to the IDE slot on the motherboard.
> A few burners now have a SATA connection......but you want the normal
> everyday DVD .
> ATAPI devices include CD-ROMs, CD-Recordable, CD-RW, DVD, tape drives, some
> super-floppy drives (ZIP and LS-120), and changers.
> did that answer your question??
> peterk
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
> the problem
> "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the drive doesn't have a manual, it came with the computer. I'm thinking
> > of
> > buying a new dvd burner drive, but i don't know the what type interface is
> > appropiate for my computer.
> >
> > here is what i see on the device manager on my computer
> >
> > HP DVD Writer 300c
> > Details: IDE\CDROMHP_DVD_WRITER_300C
> >

> > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
> > Intel(R) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
> > Intel(R) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
> > Primary IDE Channel
> > Primary IDE Channel
> > Secondary IDE Channel
> > Secondary IDE Channel
> >
> > does this mean i have to buy a dvd drive that have interface ATAPI IDE
> > Interface or ATA?
> >

> > "peterk" wrote:
> >
> >> You read the manual that came with the drive
> >> peterk
> >>
> >> --
> >> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
> >> about
> >> the problem
> >> "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Download and install Everest Home. This will tell you, in detail, the
hardware components that you have. Part of these details could be a
make/model number for the DVD drive. With this info, you can search the web
for the drive specifications, which would tell you which interface the unit
was/is using.

Depending on the age of the PC, anything "usually" bought before 2005 was
IDE (and some SCSI) if the unit was internal.

> yea i got it, thanks
>
> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> Most if not all DVD burners have the Atapi interface.........which
>> connects
>> it to the IDE slot on the motherboard.
>> A few burners now have a SATA connection......but you want the normal
>> everyday DVD .
>> ATAPI devices include CD-ROMs, CD-Recordable, CD-RW, DVD, tape drives,
>> some
>> super-floppy drives (ZIP and LS-120), and changers.
>> did that answer your question??
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>> about
>> the problem
>> "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > the drive doesn't have a manual, it came with the computer. I'm
>> > thinking
>> > of
>> > buying a new dvd burner drive, but i don't know the what type interface
>> > is
>> > appropiate for my computer.
>> >
>> > here is what i see on the device manager on my computer
>> >
>> > HP DVD Writer 300c
>> > Details: IDE\CDROMHP_DVD_WRITER_300C
>> >

>> > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
>> > Intel(R) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
>> > Intel(R) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
>> > Primary IDE Channel
>> > Primary IDE Channel
>> > Secondary IDE Channel
>> > Secondary IDE Channel
>> >
>> > does this mean i have to buy a dvd drive that have interface ATAPI IDE

TRENDING THREADS