Hardware malfunction

My computer totally stops functioning and a gray screen appears saying:
“***Hardware malfunction*** Contact hardware vendor for support *** system
has halted ***�
I put this computer together and had no problems until I installed XP. When
it locks it also makes whatever sound it had when it locks. Is there a way to
see what is causing the lock? I’ve tried the troubleshooting
FAQ on the software and got nowhere. When it locks it locks I’ve found no
way to continue other then killing the power to the motherboard and
restarting. There is no rhyme or reason to the lock no common timing or
software or hardware.
Thank You

Update:
After searching around found I have a Item under "other device",
PCI simple communication controller.
I have tried finding a driver for this but have no clue what it is, all my
PCI cards devices are accounted for.
I think it must be something on the motherboard
(133MHZ PIII MICRO ATX MOTHERBOARD WITH FLIP-CHIP SUPPORT0,
but have no clue what this PCI controller is. Is there a way to look up the
hardware id that I found under the details tab in
the device properties.
I’m hoping this is the problem and not another one.
PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&SUBSYS_021113F6&REV_20
PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&SUBSYS_021113F6
PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&CC_078000
4 answers Last reply
More about hardware malfunction

    Lord Kurgun wrote:

    > My computer totally stops functioning and a gray screen appears saying:
    > "***Hardware malfunction*** Contact hardware vendor for support *** system
    > has halted ***�
    > I put this computer together and had no problems until I installed XP. When
    > it locks it also makes whatever sound it had when it locks. Is there a way to
    > see what is causing the lock? I've tried the troubleshooting
    > FAQ on the software and got nowhere. When it locks it locks I've found no
    > way to continue other then killing the power to the motherboard and
    > restarting. There is no rhyme or reason to the lock no common timing or
    > software or hardware.
    > Thank You
    >
    > Update:
    > After searching around found I have a Item under "other device",
    > PCI simple communication controller.
    > I have tried finding a driver for this but have no clue what it is, all my
    > PCI cards devices are accounted for.
    > I think it must be something on the motherboard
    > (133MHZ PIII MICRO ATX MOTHERBOARD WITH FLIP-CHIP SUPPORT0,
    > but have no clue what this PCI controller is. Is there a way to look up the
    > hardware id that I found under the details tab in
    > the device properties.
    > I'm hoping this is the problem and not another one.
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&SUBSYS_021113F6&REV_20
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&SUBSYS_021113F6
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&CC_078000
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&CC_078000

    Start trouble-shooting by minimizing the peripheral devices
    installed in the computer to the essentials, viz., hard drive,
    video card, etc. Check the bios configuration setting to that
    for machine default. Install Windows XP on to a clean HD from
    a cdrom. Once done, install all of the required motherboard
    drivers from its cdrom. In a stepwise manner, install all of
    the additional peripheral devices (e.g., sound card, modem,
    NIC, etc.) and their software. Either the problem will be
    eliminated or the source identified. (BTW, the message is
    vague since it indicates a problem somewhere on the entire
    PCI bus, including the PC-133 RAM that is supposed to be
    used here. Using PC-133 memory, right for a 133 MHz FSB? Not
    trying to over-clock?)

    Thank You.
    The XP install was on a formatted harddrive, In fact after one of the system
    halts XP would not go past the initial screen so I Formatted the drive again
    and reinstalled XP. Another problem is I no longer have a system disk for the
    motherboard as my daughter while looking through my disks accidentally
    dropped it on the floor the dog chewed it (I know I know The dog ate my
    homework). Anyway as I let the kids use the computer and they seem to keep
    crashing it with their harmless downloads, I found that with Windows ME that
    I didn’t need it because it recognized every thing. XP apparently doesn’t. As
    for the memory that was purchased with the bare bones PC, all I’ve added was
    2 hard drives, 1 CD, 1 DVD drive, 3 ½ floppy, and an XP compatible video
    capture card.
    Thanks
    Mike

    "Lord Kurgun" <LordKurgun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer totally stops functioning and a gray screen appears saying:
    > "***Hardware malfunction*** Contact hardware vendor for support *** system
    > has halted ***"
    > I put this computer together and had no problems until I installed XP.
    > When
    > it locks it also makes whatever sound it had when it locks. Is there a way
    > see what is causing the lock? I've tried the troubleshooting
    > FAQ on the software and got nowhere. When it locks it locks I've found no
    > way to continue other then killing the power to the motherboard and
    > restarting. There is no rhyme or reason to the lock no common timing or
    > software or hardware.
    > Thank You
    >
    > Update:
    > After searching around found I have a Item under "other device",
    > PCI simple communication controller.
    > I have tried finding a driver for this but have no clue what it is, all my
    > PCI cards devices are accounted for.
    > I think it must be something on the motherboard
    > (133MHZ PIII MICRO ATX MOTHERBOARD WITH FLIP-CHIP SUPPORT0,
    > but have no clue what this PCI controller is. Is there a way to look up
    > the
    > hardware id that I found under the details tab in
    > the device properties.
    > I'm hoping this is the problem and not another one.
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&SUBSYS_021113F6&REV_20
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&SUBSYS_021113F6
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&CC_078000
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&CC_078000

    PCI simple communication controller is probably the ARM modem slot on the
    motherboard. If you're not using an ARM modem go into your bios and disable
    it. Then see what happens.

    After you installed XP, did you remember to install the chipset drivers for
    the motherboard... usually downloadable from the website of the motherboard
    manufacturer.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Lord Kurgun" <LordKurgun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer totally stops functioning and a gray screen appears saying:
    > "***Hardware malfunction*** Contact hardware vendor for support *** system
    > has halted ***"
    > I put this computer together and had no problems until I installed XP.
    > When
    > it locks it also makes whatever sound it had when it locks. Is there a way
    > see what is causing the lock? I've tried the troubleshooting
    > FAQ on the software and got nowhere. When it locks it locks I've found no
    > way to continue other then killing the power to the motherboard and
    > restarting. There is no rhyme or reason to the lock no common timing or
    > software or hardware.
    > Thank You
    >
    > Update:
    > After searching around found I have a Item under "other device",
    > PCI simple communication controller.
    > I have tried finding a driver for this but have no clue what it is, all my
    > PCI cards devices are accounted for.
    > I think it must be something on the motherboard
    > (133MHZ PIII MICRO ATX MOTHERBOARD WITH FLIP-CHIP SUPPORT0,
    > but have no clue what this PCI controller is. Is there a way to look up
    > the
    > hardware id that I found under the details tab in
    > the device properties.
    > I'm hoping this is the problem and not another one.
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&SUBSYS_021113F6&REV_20
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&SUBSYS_021113F6
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&CC_078000
    > PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0211&CC_078000

Hardware PCI Computers Windows XP