Daniel

Hi

I have XPSP2,

My sound card is sharing IRQ 11 with my
graphics card and I believe it is slowing
down performance.

How do I assign a different IRQ to my sound card?

thanks

Daniel

Move the card to a different PCI slot.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have XPSP2,
>
> My sound card is sharing IRQ 11 with my
> graphics card and I believe it is slowing
> down performance.
>
> How do I assign a different IRQ to my sound card?
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

This is easy to test.
Disable the sound card in device manager (or even bios)
and see if the performance gets better.

--PA

"Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message news:ea07jjXiFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I have XPSP2,
>
> My sound card is sharing IRQ 11 with my
> graphics card and I believe it is slowing
> down performance.
>
> How do I assign a different IRQ to my sound card?
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

why not go into the Device Manager and change IRQ manually to one that's not
being used.

kristopher

"Pavel A." wrote:

> This is easy to test.
> Disable the sound card in device manager (or even bios)
> and see if the performance gets better.
>
> --PA
>
> "Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message news:ea07jjXiFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Hi
> >
> > I have XPSP2,
> >
> > My sound card is sharing IRQ 11 with my
> > graphics card and I believe it is slowing
> > down performance.
> >
> > How do I assign a different IRQ to my sound card?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Daniel

Ever try that in XP? :)

"kristopher" <kristopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> why not go into the Device Manager and change IRQ manually to one that's
> not
> being used.
>
> kristopher
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
>> This is easy to test.
>> Disable the sound card in device manager (or even bios)
>> and see if the performance gets better.
>>
>> --PA
>>
>> "Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have XPSP2,
>> >
>> > My sound card is sharing IRQ 11 with my
>> > graphics card and I believe it is slowing
>> > down performance.
>> >
>> > How do I assign a different IRQ to my sound card?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >
>> > Daniel

Daniel

I don't think I have any left,
if I swap my USB and sound cards, will
that do it?
Will it cause other problems?

thanks

Daniel
"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Move the card to a different PCI slot.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have XPSP2,
>>
>> My sound card is sharing IRQ 11 with my
>> graphics card and I believe it is slowing
>> down performance.
>>
>> How do I assign a different IRQ to my sound card?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel

Daniel

Good question, how do you do that??
I'd love to give it a try?

thanks

Daniel
"kristopher" <kristopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> why not go into the Device Manager and change IRQ manually to one that's
> not
> being used.
>
> kristopher
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
>> This is easy to test.
>> Disable the sound card in device manager (or even bios)
>> and see if the performance gets better.
>>
>> --PA
>>
>> "Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have XPSP2,
>> >
>> > My sound card is sharing IRQ 11 with my
>> > graphics card and I believe it is slowing
>> > down performance.
>> >
>> > How do I assign a different IRQ to my sound card?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >
>> > Daniel

Unfortunately, XP probably will not allow you to reassign an IRQ this way
and you'll need to try swapping the cards around instead :)

"Daniel" <none@none> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have XPSP2,
>
>My sound card is sharing IRQ 11 with my
>graphics card and I believe it is slowing
>down performance.
>
>How do I assign a different IRQ to my sound card?
>
>thanks
>
>Daniel

Modern computers and also Windows XP are designed to operate in a
shared IRQ environment and it is quite unlikely that IRQ sharing,
where there are no conflicts being reported in Device Manager, would
have an adverse impact on overall performance.

Remove the sound card temporarily and see if the performance improves.

And when comparing performance it is important to use timed benchmark
testing utilities, as subjective measurements such as "it feels
faster" are unreliable.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Some motherboards allow you to assign specific IRQs to you PCI slots. Just
check in Windows so as to see which IRQs are assigned to "what devices". If
you do not use the standard serial, and parallel, ports, you should disable
them (so as to reclain 3 IRQs: 3, 4 and 7) and re-use these IRQs on your PCI
slots.