Website that shows pinmods for overclocing XP 2500?

I used to have a website that had an applet on it that would show you
exactly how to modify the pins to set the multiplier or the FSB for
any AMD processor. Of course i had this site bookmarked when i didn't
need it. I just upgraded to a locked XP2500 and now i really need
that info again.

Does anyone have it?

I have a locked XP2500. Stuck at 11 x 166 on my Gigabyte 7VAX. I can
only move the FSB to about 171 before it won't boot anymore.

The annoying this is that before i had an unlocked XP2100 that i had
running at 15x140 = 2100MHZ. So this XP2500 is actually slower unless
i can unlock the multipliers.

I don't want to etch the CPU. i just want to use wires to join pins.
Please let me know
16 answers Last reply
More about website shows pinmods overclocing 2500

    What week was your chip made? 0338 or before will be unlocked and 0339 and
    after are locked.

    "kevins_news2" <kevins_news2@rogers.n0spam.com> wrote in message
    > I used to have a website that had an applet on it that would show you
    > exactly how to modify the pins to set the multiplier or the FSB for
    > any AMD processor. Of course i had this site bookmarked when i didn't
    > need it. I just upgraded to a locked XP2500 and now i really need
    > that info again.
    >
    > Does anyone have it?
    >
    > I have a locked XP2500. Stuck at 11 x 166 on my Gigabyte 7VAX. I can
    > only move the FSB to about 171 before it won't boot anymore.
    >
    > The annoying this is that before i had an unlocked XP2100 that i had
    > running at 15x140 = 2100MHZ. So this XP2500 is actually slower unless
    > i can unlock the multipliers.
    >
    > I don't want to etch the CPU. i just want to use wires to join pins.
    > Please let me know

    ---

    > I used to have a website that had an applet on it that would show you
    > exactly how to modify the pins to set the multiplier or the FSB for
    > any AMD processor.

    Ocinside.de

    "kevins_news2" <kevins_news2@rogers.n0spam.com> wrote in message
    > I used to have a website that had an applet on it that would show you
    > exactly how to modify the pins to set the multiplier or the FSB for
    > any AMD processor. Of course i had this site bookmarked when i didn't
    > need it. I just upgraded to a locked XP2500 and now i really need
    > that info again.
    >
    > Does anyone have it?
    >
    > I have a locked XP2500. Stuck at 11 x 166 on my Gigabyte 7VAX. I can
    > only move the FSB to about 171 before it won't boot anymore.
    >
    > The annoying this is that before i had an unlocked XP2100 that i had
    > running at 15x140 = 2100MHZ. So this XP2500 is actually slower unless
    > i can unlock the multipliers.
    >
    > I don't want to etch the CPU. i just want to use wires to join pins.
    > Please let me know

    Actually there is a way to unlock these things without having to do nothing
    more that stick a specially made lil tab on the bottom of the CPU, and it is
    completely removable. I came across it on an American website while I was
    looking for some water cooling stuff.

    As soon as I remember the addy for the site I'll post it.

    Well I have just remembered the site, you may know about it already but here
    is the URL:

    http://www.speed-strip.com/

    There is also a warning about newer locked CPU's that just can't be modified
    by any means, the address with details about this is here:
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=9e7d15e997d73e82c932ef5c04492dad&threadid=244237

    AARGH! I didn't bother reading for updates on locking before getting
    this CPU. Blast. Didn't know that even the pinmods don't work
    anymore.

    My motherboard Gigabyte 7vAX doesn't have a devider for the 200Mhz
    bus. I can set 200Mhz but it'll just be completely overclocking
    everything. And it seems that i have a post week 39 locked CPU. So
    the best i can do with this XP2500 is 11x170=1870Mhz.

    But i still have my old XP2100. It seems to run just fine at 13x166 =
    2158. I only tried that for about 20 minutes and had it running
    prime95 during that time. But it seemed to work.

    So in this case am i better off sticking with the XP2100?

    p.s. The 13x166 for the 2100 is being done on a separate mobo that is
    not mine. My mobo autodetects the CPU frequency so it actually only
    lets me use 133Mhz for the xp2100. I'm assuming that pinmod to set
    the frequency to 166 work on my Gigabyte 7VAX? Am i correct?

    Kevin

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:06:51 GMT, "LBJGH" <bite_mee@hotsnail.back>
    wrote:

    >What week was your chip made? 0338 or before will be unlocked and 0339 and
    >after are locked.
    >

    >"kevins_news2" <kevins_news2@rogers.n0spam.com> wrote in message
    >> I used to have a website that had an applet on it that would show you
    >> exactly how to modify the pins to set the multiplier or the FSB for
    >> any AMD processor. Of course i had this site bookmarked when i didn't
    >> need it. I just upgraded to a locked XP2500 and now i really need
    >> that info again.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have it?
    >>
    >> I have a locked XP2500. Stuck at 11 x 166 on my Gigabyte 7VAX. I can
    >> only move the FSB to about 171 before it won't boot anymore.
    >>
    >> The annoying this is that before i had an unlocked XP2100 that i had
    >> running at 15x140 = 2100MHZ. So this XP2500 is actually slower unless
    >> i can unlock the multipliers.
    >>
    >> I don't want to etch the CPU. i just want to use wires to join pins.
    >> Please let me know
    >

    >---

    Actually. how do i tell when my chip was made?

    Here's all the numbers

    AXDA2500DKV4D
    T849537C40911
    AQZFA0411VPMW
    @@1999AMD

    It comes up as 11x166 by the autodetect settings on my Gigabyte 7VAX.

    Looking at it, NONE of the L1 bridges are cut. One of the L12(-|||)
    is cut. Three of the L5 (|---) are cut. All of the L9(----) are cut.

    Changing the multiplier using dipswitches on my mobo does not seem to
    work. It worked perfectly on my XP2100 so it does seem my xp2500 is
    locked. But is it PERMANENTLY locked or can i unlock it using a
    pinmod?

    Any help appreciated.

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 04:32:37 GMT, kevins_news2

    kevins_news2 wrote:
    > Actually. how do i tell when my chip was made?
    >
    > Here's all the numbers
    >
    > AXDA2500DKV4D
    > T849537C40911
    > AQZFA0411VPMW
    > @@1999AMD

    <snip>

    http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:44:12 -0400, "Gort" <gort@flying.invalid>
    wrote:

    >kevins_news2 wrote:
    >> Actually. how do i tell when my chip was made?
    >>
    >> Here's all the numbers
    >>
    >> AXDA2500DKV4D
    >> T849537C40911
    >> AQZFA0411VPMW
    >> @@1999AMD
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

    Thanks. I've revised my question. Which am i better off with on my
    Gigabyte 7VAX mobo. The main purpose is to play games.

    XP2500 (hard locked) at 11x170 = 1870Mhz. 512KB L2 cache
    or
    XP2100 (unlocked) at 13x166 = 2158Mhz. 256Kb L2 cache. Possible could
    clock higher. Haven't tried yet.

    I used a pinmod to make my mobo use the 166Mhz bus for the XP2100
    which is really a 133Mhz bus cpu.

    Anyone know which is the better one for me to keep?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    kevins_news2 wrote:
    > I used to have a website that had an applet on it that would show you
    > exactly how to modify the pins to set the multiplier or the FSB for
    > any AMD processor. Of course i had this site bookmarked when i didn't
    > need it. I just upgraded to a locked XP2500 and now i really need
    > that info again.
    [...]
    > I don't want to etch the CPU. i just want to use wires to join pins.
    > Please let me know

    The website you're referring to (ocinside) won't help you in your current
    situation. The only way to change the multiplier on locked CPUs is to do
    quite extensive bridge modifications:
    http://www.google.co.nz/groups?selm=g_Emc.1412%24XI4.66669%40news.xtra.co.nz

    --
    Michael Brown
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    ntl: Victim wrote:
    > Actually there is a way to unlock these things without having to do
    > nothing more that stick a specially made lil tab on the bottom of the
    > CPU, and it is completely removable.
    [then mentions speedstrip in a followup]

    Speedstrip, TMC, and other related things do NOT unlock CPUs. If your CPU is
    locked (as in has L1 traces cut or die-locked) these products will do
    nothing. All they do is allow board with 4-bit multiplier support to use
    5-bit multipliers by handling the 5th bit themselves (either dragging it
    high or low). That's all. No unlocking involved.

    This "unlocking" myth is an unfortunate result of review sites who didn't
    know their stuff playing around with the XP2100 and discovering that it
    wouldn't POST with any multiplier other than default. The problem being that
    the default was the lowest in the "high" range and the palomino core hit the
    wall around XP2100 rating, so setting it (using only 4 bits) to anything
    other than the minimum wouldn't work. Then, they realised that if they
    pulled the 5th bit (though they didn't actually call it this) low, they
    could (unsurprisingly) set whatever multiplier they liked in the low range.
    Hence they concluded, incorrectly, that this was a magical "unlocking" bit
    and to "unlock" the chip you pulled it low. This is also the cause of the
    "NF2 unlocks CPU" thing.

    --
    Michael Brown
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    AQZFA 0411 - week 11 of 2004

    > AXDA2500DKV4D
    > T849537C40911
    > AQZFA0411VPMW
    > @@1999AMD

    ---
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    kevins_news2 wrote:
    > Actually. how do i tell when my chip was made?
    >
    > Here's all the numbers
    >
    > AXDA2500DKV4D
    > T849537C40911
    > AQZFA0411VPMW
    YYWW
    ie: Week 11 of 2004.

    > Changing the multiplier using dipswitches on my mobo does not seem to
    > work. It worked perfectly on my XP2100 so it does seem my xp2500 is
    > locked. But is it PERMANENTLY locked or can i unlock it using a
    > pinmod?

    You never could unlock chips using a pinmod. You may be interested in

    http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=g_Emc.1412%24XI4.66669%40news.xtra.co
    ..nz
    (steps to "mobilise" a CPU)

    http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=XTgpc.5409%24XI4.194487@news.xtra.co.
    nz
    (the "unlocking" myth, not on google yet, but is just my second reply to the
    "Website that shows pinmods for overclocing XP 2500?" thread in
    alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd)

    [...]

    --
    Michael Brown
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:32:57 +1200, "Michael Brown"
    <see@signature.below> wrote:

    >kevins_news2 wrote:
    >> Actually. how do i tell when my chip was made?
    >>
    >> Here's all the numbers
    >>
    >> AXDA2500DKV4D
    >> T849537C40911
    >> AQZFA0411VPMW
    > YYWW
    >ie: Week 11 of 2004.
    >
    >> Changing the multiplier using dipswitches on my mobo does not seem to
    >> work. It worked perfectly on my XP2100 so it does seem my xp2500 is
    >> locked. But is it PERMANENTLY locked or can i unlock it using a
    >> pinmod?
    >
    >You never could unlock chips using a pinmod. You may be interested in
    >
    >http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=g_Emc.1412%24XI4.66669%40news.xtra.co
    >.nz
    >(steps to "mobilise" a CPU)
    >
    >http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=XTgpc.5409%24XI4.194487@news.xtra.co.
    >nz
    >(the "unlocking" myth, not on google yet, but is just my second reply to the
    >"Website that shows pinmods for overclocing XP 2500?" thread in
    >alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd)
    >
    >[...]

    THANKS! I saw your earlier message but after seeing it i saw many
    many other indications that *nothing* could allow multiplier changes
    on the newest locked XP2500s. In fact you are still the only person
    who seems to say this.

    So i'm looking at the sites that explain how to mobilize a CPU. Can
    this effect be accomplished using small bits of wire stuck into the
    CPU slots? I'm calling this pinmodding even though i'm not 100% sure
    that's really what it means. Anyway, i'm more comfortable with these
    pieces of wire than i am cutting and joining the bridges on this CPU.

    Kevin
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    >> I don't want to etch the CPU. i just want to use wires to join pins.
    >> Please let me know
    >
    > The website you're referring to (ocinside) won't help you in your current
    > situation. The only way to change the multiplier on locked CPUs is to do
    > quite extensive bridge modifications:

    Well, cou can still can change the default FSB and Vcore with pinmods...
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    why dont you use "easy tune4" that comes with the M/Board, my FSB is running
    at 181 * 12.5 on a 7vAXp,you can download it from the gigabyte site
    Paul

    > AARGH! I didn't bother reading for updates on locking before getting
    > this CPU. Blast. Didn't know that even the pinmods don't work
    > anymore.
    >
    > My motherboard Gigabyte 7vAX doesn't have a devider for the 200Mhz
    > bus. I can set 200Mhz but it'll just be completely overclocking
    > everything. And it seems that i have a post week 39 locked CPU. So
    > the best i can do with this XP2500 is 11x170=1870Mhz.
    >
    > But i still have my old XP2100. It seems to run just fine at 13x166 =
    > 2158. I only tried that for about 20 minutes and had it running
    > prime95 during that time. But it seemed to work.
    >
    > So in this case am i better off sticking with the XP2100?
    >
    > p.s. The 13x166 for the 2100 is being done on a separate mobo that is
    > not mine. My mobo autodetects the CPU frequency so it actually only
    > lets me use 133Mhz for the xp2100. I'm assuming that pinmod to set
    > the frequency to 166 work on my Gigabyte 7VAX? Am i correct?
    >
    > Kevin
    >
    > On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:06:51 GMT, "LBJGH" <bite_mee@hotsnail.back>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >What week was your chip made? 0338 or before will be unlocked and 0339
    and
    > >after are locked.
    > >

    > >"kevins_news2" <kevins_news2@rogers.n0spam.com> wrote in message
    > >> I used to have a website that had an applet on it that would show you
    > >> exactly how to modify the pins to set the multiplier or the FSB for
    > >> any AMD processor. Of course i had this site bookmarked when i didn't
    > >> need it. I just upgraded to a locked XP2500 and now i really need
    > >> that info again.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone have it?
    > >>
    > >> I have a locked XP2500. Stuck at 11 x 166 on my Gigabyte 7VAX. I can
    > >> only move the FSB to about 171 before it won't boot anymore.
    > >>
    > >> The annoying this is that before i had an unlocked XP2100 that i had
    > >> running at 15x140 = 2100MHZ. So this XP2500 is actually slower unless
    > >> i can unlock the multipliers.
    > >>
    > >> I don't want to etch the CPU. i just want to use wires to join pins.
    > >> Please let me know
    > >

    > >---

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

AMD Windows XP Overclocking