Graphics Cards Heat Sinks

a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2005 6:46:24 PM

Hello

I bought a ATI Radeon 9600XT about a year and a half ago. Recently the fan
on the heatsink died and the card started to overheat. So i purchased an
Arctic Cooling Silencer 2 for the card.
However the Instructions assume that the Memory on the card doesnt already
have heatsinks. Unfortunatly my version does and i cant install the fan and
heatsink untill i remove these.

As they are not clipped on i assume they are using thermal pads instead of
paste.
Is there a way to remove these heatsinks without using brute force?
Cheers
Dave
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2005 6:46:25 PM

The 9600 ATI card uses rubber groments to hold the heat sink to the board.
If you carefully bush on the rubber on the short end,it'll slide thru,my
old 9600
xp didnt come with a fan,ati says it isnt required due to advanced heat-sink
materials,you must have an early model,my 9800 ati does have a fan.

!