USB flash drive error

I have 2 USB flashdrives (a Memorex and a Kingston). Both drives work
flawlessly in both of my notebooks.

The problem occurs only with my desktop pc: it will recognize the drive, and
I can read and copy from the drive. When I try to write to the drive, though,
I get the following error message: "cannot copy filename: the request could
not be performed because of an I/O device error.

All three machines are running XP SP2. Can anyone help?

JVanCleave wrote:
> I have 2 USB flashdrives (a Memorex and a Kingston). Both drives work
> flawlessly in both of my notebooks.
>
> The problem occurs only with my desktop pc: it will recognize the drive, and
> I can read and copy from the drive. When I try to write to the drive, though,
> I get the following error message: "cannot copy filename: the request could
> not be performed because of an I/O device error.
>
> All three machines are running XP SP2. Can anyone help?

What type of user are you on the desktop, as logged in?
Administrator? Power User? User? Also check security
policy for the desktop.

"Ghostrider" wrote:

> What type of user are you on the desktop, as logged in?
> Administrator? Power User? User? Also check security
> policy for the desktop.

Administrator on all three machines.

I can't find any security-related issues that would allow reading the drive
but not writing to it, but the probability that I'm not looking in the right
place is astronomically high.