Ancient Canon Printer

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I have an opportunity to get a Canon CJ-10 Copier/Scanner/Printer, for
free. Does anyone know why I should bother? It does have the IPU-SS
SCSI adapter. And, it does make color copies.
Thanks, Don

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

That's pretty old. You didn't mention what version of Windoze you're using,
but I'd check Canon's website to make sure that there is a driver available
for your version.

Another Don

"Don" <donal51@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> I have an opportunity to get a Canon CJ-10 Copier/Scanner/Printer, for
> free. Does anyone know why I should bother? It does have the IPU-SS
> SCSI adapter. And, it does make color copies.
> Thanks, Don

Alan

donal51@hotpop.com (Don) wrote in message news:<9a41e5ad.0407220311.43a10bea@posting.google.com>...
> I have an opportunity to get a Canon CJ-10 Copier/Scanner/Printer, for
> free. Does anyone know why I should bother? It does have the IPU-SS
> SCSI adapter. And, it does make color copies.
> Thanks, Don

Well, when it came out in 1992 it went for $10,000.
I'd expect it should be rather more durable than the latest printers
which cost less then their ink.
You can get drivers at
<http://www.usa.canon.com/html/download/cj10.html>
Ink is available.
You can see an archived version of the FAQ at
<http://tinyurl.com/4lpc2>

Here's the blurb from 9 Mar 1992:
Canon has announced a desktop version of its digital bubble-jet color
copier that will be available this summer for a price under $10,000.
The 400-dpi CJ10 copier also functions as a color printer when
equipped with an optional Intelligent Processing Unit (IPU) similar in
function to the IPU offered for Canon's Color Laser Copier.

The CJ10 copies/prints letter-size pages in about 90 seconds. The
copier scans originals up to 8x11" at 400 dpi and produces 400-dpi
copies in statement (5"x8") or letter sizes on special, coated paper.

The bubble-jet technology squirts specially formulated inks through a
printhead of 128 nozzles. The ink cartridge and printhead are both
contained in one user-replaceable cartridge to simplify maintenance.

Canon is planning Windows printer drivers for the PC and QuickDraw
drivers for the Macintosh. A scanning application for the Macintosh is
also planned.

With an optional film projector, copies may be made from 35mm slides
or negative film. An optional video adapter is used for copying ntsc
video input.

Delivery is slated for this June. Final pricing will be released then,
but Canon has said it will be "well under $10,000."

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Thanks for the info (Don & Alan) Especially the FAQ which seemed to
indicate that the Interface Unit would need a ROM update to use it
with windows 95. Since I use 98 on the PC with SCSI, this looks like
too much trouble. Also, I found out that the ink is around $80 per
cartridge, which (X 4) is more than I paid for my Canon 900. Someone
else (or a landfill) will have a chance on this one.