does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want an
internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a multibay
dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can do more then
just read dvd-ram.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Search Google.

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
> does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want an
> internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a
> multibay dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can do
> more then just read dvd-ram.

Steph

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
> does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want an
> internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a
> multibay dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can do
> more then just read dvd-ram.

LG makes a nice, cheapish one HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4040B

It reads/ writes all formats of CD and single layer DVD and works as a DVD
RAM

i already got the one from LG. i want a DVD-RAM writer for a laptop drive.
"Steph" <steph@vancouvers.island> wrote in message

> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want an
>> internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a
>> multibay dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can do
>> more then just read dvd-ram.
>>

> LG makes a nice, cheapish one HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4040B
>
> It reads/ writes all formats of CD and single layer DVD and works as a DVD
> RAM

Steph

>i already got the one from LG. i want a DVD-RAM writer for a laptop drive.

Sorry, I missed that bit ;^(

i got DVD-RAM media. do you need to format them before using them or do they
come formated.
the dvd-ram media is suppoesed to work like a hard drive. am i write about
this?
"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
> does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want an
> internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a
> multibay dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can do
> more then just read dvd-ram.

Contact the laptop manufacturer for the available options.

Steven Wabik wrote:

> does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want an
> internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a multibay
> dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can do more then
> just read dvd-ram.

LG also makes an external DVD-RAM unit, which may be your only choice if you
can not find an internal DVD-RAM unit for your laptop.

However, it seems that the most DVD drives can handle DVD-RAM natively
already (at least for reading.) Have you tried using a DVD-RAM media disc
with the DVD writer you already have?

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
>i already got the one from LG. i want a DVD-RAM writer for a laptop drive.
> "Steph" <steph@vancouvers.island> wrote in message
>>
>> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want
>>> an internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a
>>> multibay dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can
>>> do more then just read dvd-ram.
>>>

>> LG makes a nice, cheapish one HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4040B
>>
>> It reads/ writes all formats of CD and single layer DVD and works as a
>> DVD RAM

they only have multibay DVD-ROM drive with RAM READ. i'm looking for a
multibay drive that can write to DVD-RAM.
> Contact the laptop manufacturer for the available options.
>
> Steven Wabik wrote:
>
>> does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want an
>> internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a
>> multibay dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can do
>> more then just read dvd-ram.

HP does not really make any DVD drive that support DVD-RAM. i found one
though but it will only read it.

> LG also makes an external DVD-RAM unit, which may be your only choice if
> you can not find an internal DVD-RAM unit for your laptop.
>
> However, it seems that the most DVD drives can handle DVD-RAM natively
> already (at least for reading.) Have you tried using a DVD-RAM media disc
> with the DVD writer you already have?
>

> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>i already got the one from LG. i want a DVD-RAM writer for a laptop drive.
>> "Steph" <steph@vancouvers.island> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> LG makes a nice, cheapish one HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4040B
>>>
>>> It reads/ writes all formats of CD and single layer DVD and works as a
>>> DVD RAM

can anyone tell me exactly how DVD-RAM works?
> Contact the laptop manufacturer for the available options.
>
> Steven Wabik wrote:
>
>> does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want an
>> internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a
>> multibay dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can do
>> more then just read dvd-ram.

I don't know the exact details, but the principal of DVD-RAM is, that it has
random access unlike DVD-/+RW. There are two format types on DVD-RAM, one
for data and one for video. Windows XP can read and write to DVD-RAM-drives
without any special driver. I know this, because I have a dvd-videorecorder
and a dvd-ram-writer for my PC. Also there are at least five types of
DVD-RAM(two doublesided cartridges, two singlesided cartridges and one
without a cartridge. The differences between the cartridges are the size. I
know the types I use(type 2 and 4) are relatively 4,7GB(single) and 9,4
GB(double) in size. Also important is, that DVD-RAM can be written to one
hondred thousand times, while other standards can only be written to a
thousand times. and DVD-RAM(30 years) last 10 times longer than other
standards(3 years)... The only advantage of DVD-/+RW is, that it is more
widely spread. To be honest with you, it is difficult enough to find an
internal dvd-ram-writer for a PC, let alone a laptop...

Nico.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+stuff+works+DVD+ram

Steven Wabik wrote:

> can anyone tell me exactly how DVD-RAM works?
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Contact the laptop manufacturer for the available options.
>>
>>Steven Wabik wrote:
>>

>>>does anyone know where i can get a DVD-RAM drive for my laptop. i want an
>>>internal dvd-ram drive. i like using the multibay drives. i want a
>>>multibay dvd-ram drive that can also write to ram. i want one that can do
>>>more then just read dvd-ram.

thank you very much but searching for 'DVD-RAM' worked a bit better.
here is the page that i found that was useful.
http://www.recipe4dvd.com/infoRAM.html

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+stuff+works+DVD+ram
>
> Steven Wabik wrote:
>
>> can anyone tell me exactly how DVD-RAM works?
>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Contact the laptop manufacturer for the available options.

i found a good one for my desktop. it was easy to find one google. its by
LG. i'm just going to use it externally with my laptop.

"Nico" <nico@twister.d2g.com> wrote in message
>I don't know the exact details, but the principal of DVD-RAM is, that it
>has random access unlike DVD-/+RW. There are two format types on DVD-RAM,
>one for data and one for video. Windows XP can read and write to
>DVD-RAM-drives without any special driver. I know this, because I have a
>dvd-videorecorder and a dvd-ram-writer for my PC. Also there are at least
>five types of DVD-RAM(two doublesided cartridges, two singlesided
>cartridges and one without a cartridge. The differences between the
>cartridges are the size. I know the types I use(type 2 and 4) are
>relatively 4,7GB(single) and 9,4 GB(double) in size. Also important is,
>that DVD-RAM can be written to one hondred thousand times, while other
>standards can only be written to a thousand times. and DVD-RAM(30 years)
>last 10 times longer than other standards(3 years)... The only advantage of
>DVD-/+RW is, that it is more widely spread. To be honest with you, it is
>difficult enough to find an internal dvd-ram-writer for a PC, let alone a
>laptop...
>
> Nico.
>
> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
>> can anyone tell me exactly how DVD-RAM works?
>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Contact the laptop manufacturer for the available options.

Could someone explain what DVD device I would need to receive video
taken on my digital camera. I have a av cable for the camera but need
a recordable? rewritable? DVD? My laptop has a CD/DVD ROM. I can write
to the CD but have not used the DVD. We have a DVD player with our TV.
These DVD terms are all new for me. External is OK.

--
dan d
dan d's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=7939

here is a good page with some dvd writters.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/generic_subcategory.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=null&category=dvd_writers&subcat1=dvd_writers&catLevel=2