?? about ext. HD and strange boot-up

peter

Forgive me but I'm not too technically minded. I just added a Maxtor
1-Touch ll 200gb external HD and since installing it, and the accompanying
Dantz Restrospect Express HD software, I've notice my PC boots up more
slowly.
The Intel flash screen appears now for a full second or two, whereas before
it flashed by quickly, and often I'll get a "Please wait" screen, then PC
boots OK.
I also see that it is showing in the BIOS as one of the boot devices behind
Floppy, CDRW, DVDRW, HD drives, if that has any relevance.
As my PC is working OK I guess I shouldn't worry too much, but just wondered
if this would be considered normal.
I'm using the ext. HD mainly for backing up My Documents and storage.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 09:08:47 -0400, Peter wrote:

> Forgive me but I'm not too technically minded. I just added a Maxtor
> 1-Touch ll 200gb external HD and since installing it, and the accompanying
> Dantz Restrospect Express HD software, I've notice my PC boots up more
> slowly.
> The Intel flash screen appears now for a full second or two, whereas before
> it flashed by quickly, and often I'll get a "Please wait" screen, then PC
> boots OK.
> I also see that it is showing in the BIOS as one of the boot devices behind
> Floppy, CDRW, DVDRW, HD drives, if that has any relevance.
> As my PC is working OK I guess I shouldn't worry too much, but just wondered
> if this would be considered normal.
> I'm using the ext. HD mainly for backing up My Documents and storage.

As your setup becomes more complex, it will take more time to boot. So yes,
this is normal. The boot order position for available boot devices is only
relevant when the system can't boot from any of the preceding devices.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

If the external hard drive is powered on when you boot the computer the
drive may have to be enumerated along with the rest of the connected
hardware.

Hint: As you are using the external drive for backups, you should really
keep the drive powered down, until you need to use it. This protects your
backups from any external influence, such as a virus that may delete files
with a certain file extension, power surges that may damage equipment etc.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> Forgive me but I'm not too technically minded. I just added a Maxtor
> 1-Touch ll 200gb external HD and since installing it, and the accompanying
> Dantz Restrospect Express HD software, I've notice my PC boots up more
> slowly.
> The Intel flash screen appears now for a full second or two, whereas
> before it flashed by quickly, and often I'll get a "Please wait" screen,
> then PC boots OK.
> I also see that it is showing in the BIOS as one of the boot devices
> behind Floppy, CDRW, DVDRW, HD drives, if that has any relevance.
> As my PC is working OK I guess I shouldn't worry too much, but just
> wondered if this would be considered normal.
> I'm using the ext. HD mainly for backing up My Documents and storage.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD

peter

Excellent idea Richard. Thanks.
(By the way, I erred, it's not listed as a boot device, just 1. Floppy, 2.
CDRW, 3. C:HD)

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada