Thoughts on Dell Axim X30?

July 24, 2004 6:11:15 AM

I am looking to buy the X30 High with a 624 MHZ CPU.
This looks like a real powerful pocket pc that I am considering.
Anyone have one or tried it out?
Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jack Barrett
RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

More about : thoughts dell axim x30

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 8:46:24 PM

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 02:11:15 GMT, "Jack Barrett"
<jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>I am looking to buy the X30 High with a 624 MHZ CPU.
>This looks like a real powerful pocket pc that I am considering.
>Anyone have one or tried it out?
>Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Received my Axim about 3 weeks ago and it's my first PDA, so I can't
offer any comparisons.

One or the reasons I waited was the main reason I got the Axim - it
had all that I wanted built-in ( Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) at the best price.

In New Zealand, i paid around NZD610 for the 624MHz machine.

All in all, I reckon the Axim is a very well priced PDA, and I am very
pleased with its performance. Apart from a 256 MB SD card, I do not
think there is anything else I would need to buy for it. On second
thoughts, there is one other item - a USB Sync/charger cable. The 624
MHz machine comes with a bulky desktop docking charger/sync
connection. The 312 MHz comes with USB charger/sync, which is more
useful when travelling.
I set up the desktop charger on my office laptop and use BT to sync
with my home PC.

Check out the following sites for more info:

http://www.aximusers.com/
http://www.aximsite.com/
--

kiwi999_1@hotmail.com
Wellington, New Zealand

On the travel sync/charge setup, you might consider one of the sets like is
available at PPCTechs.
http://www.pocketpctechs.com/Accessories.asp?type=lilsy...
That is used with a Lil' Sync cable which is also available there. With the
Dell cable, you get about a 4ft SYNC cable and still need to add the AC
adapter/cable. It is NOT a sync and charge cable on it's own. Certainly you
can use the one you already use on your cradle, but that means you need to
disconnect it to travel. You still then have a pretty bulky sync/charge
setup. The Lil' Sync cable potentially syncs and charges, all by itself
from the USB port on the partner machine. That is very dependent on the USB
port though, so I would recommend at least getting an AC adapter that works
with the Lil'Sync. Even with a Lil'Sync and AC adapter and Car adapter like
shown on the PPCTechs site, you wind up with a package considerably more
compact than the Dell travel sync cable and the AC adapter charger.

On the Axim X30. I have had the 312 model for a couple of weeks now and am
very impressed. It is a well thought out device even though it is a bit
bigger than my 4155. IMHO that is about the pinnacle for PPC form factors
right now. It does impact your wallet though. At this point, the price
difference between the 312 and 624 seems to fairly negligible, depending on
the sales, considering you get the cradle with the 624. I expect you'll get
better performance with the 624, but at the cost of battery life. My reason
for going with the 312 was, that I neither needed the speed or the cradle. I
keep mine in a SENA case, and planned to when I got it. I would have to
remove it from the case to use the cradle, so it would be superfluous. The
other reason was the shipping delay. I had me 312 model in under 4 days
where the estimated ship on the 624 was a month off. I was impatient.

Personally I am really anticipating a VGA entry from Dell. No I haven't
heard anything, but I figure they will do it sooner or later, and at a very
competitive price.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
<Kiwi999_1@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 02:11:15 GMT, "Jack Barrett"
> <jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
> >I am looking to buy the X30 High with a 624 MHZ CPU.
> >This looks like a real powerful pocket pc that I am considering.
> >Anyone have one or tried it out?
> >Suggestions greatly appreciated.
> >

> Received my Axim about 3 weeks ago and it's my first PDA, so I can't
> offer any comparisons.
>
> One or the reasons I waited was the main reason I got the Axim - it
> had all that I wanted built-in ( Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) at the best price.
>
> In New Zealand, i paid around NZD610 for the 624MHz machine.
>
> All in all, I reckon the Axim is a very well priced PDA, and I am very
> pleased with its performance. Apart from a 256 MB SD card, I do not
> think there is anything else I would need to buy for it. On second
> thoughts, there is one other item - a USB Sync/charger cable. The 624
> MHz machine comes with a bulky desktop docking charger/sync
> connection. The 312 MHz comes with USB charger/sync, which is more
> useful when travelling.
> I set up the desktop charger on my office laptop and use BT to sync
> with my home PC.
>
> Check out the following sites for more info:
>
> http://www.aximusers.com/
> http://www.aximsite.com/
> --
>
> kiwi999_1@hotmail.com
> Wellington, New Zealand
July 26, 2004 6:34:06 PM

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:27:03 GMT, JD wrote:

> The one negative is the time it takes to get it. I ordered it two weeks ago
> and Dell hasn't even started building it yet. I knew the time frame going
> into the purchase, but I was hoping maybe I'd get lucky.

Actually, Dell doesn't build the Axims. They are re-branded.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:47:16 PM

"Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
So who makes the dell?

--
Ann

You know it looks like an HP4155 or an HP make. Could be a Dell name on a
HP.

Elector
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:51:34 PM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:09:52 -0500, Ann wrote:

> So who makes the dell?

Taiwan-based Wistron (formally from Acer) makes the Axim.
July 27, 2004 7:04:32 PM

Does the Adobe Acrobat Reader work on this unit? My mother just bought one
of them and since she's on a dial-up connection in Germany, I'm compiling
a CD of useful software for her.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:27:24 AM

Yes it does. It doesn't like you to change orientation while it is running,
but it will work fine started in either portrait or landscape. Make sure you
get Mom a good program manager and explain how to actually close programs.
Acrobat does have an exit menu item, but there are other things that don't
and don't like to re-orient while they are running.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"René" <garbagejunkandcrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does the Adobe Acrobat Reader work on this unit? My mother just bought one
> of them and since she's on a dial-up connection in Germany, I'm compiling
> a CD of useful software for her.

July 28, 2004 2:57:39 PM

Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
> Make sure you get Mom a good program manager
> and explain how to actually close programs.

See topic "X marks the spot" ;)

--
When I said "we", officer, I was referring to myself, the four young
ladies, and, of course, the goat.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes it does. It doesn't like you to change orientation while it is
running,
> but it will work fine started in either portrait or landscape. Make sure
you
> get Mom a good program manager and explain how to actually close programs.

Start > Settings > System -> Switch Bar

I like it, and it's in the ROM. Copy the shortcut into \windows\startup to
get it to autorun.

!