Lap Top Battery Removal

What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?
9 answers Last reply
More about battery removal

    You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to use your laptop.
    Can you start your vehicle without the battery in place?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Bill J" wrote:

    | What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
    | using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

    Carey...I can start and run my computer on A/C just fine without the battery
    installed. My question is does it harm anything while running or while off?
    Bill J

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to use your laptop.
    > Can you start your vehicle without the battery in place?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Bill J" wrote:
    >
    > | What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
    > | using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:17:44 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to use your laptop.

    Or just use the AC adapter.

    >Can you start your vehicle without the battery in place?

    Yes. Some early cars didn't even have batteries.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    No effect. Note though, that this won't extend battery life if that's why
    you're asking.
    --

    "Bill J" <BillJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
    > using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

    "Bill J" <BillJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
    > using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

    First, you can use the latpop without the battery if AC is providing power.
    As to removing the battery, there's a big dependency on the way the laptop
    manufacturer implemented the charging circuits. Best to check with them.

    Incidentally, one of the methods of resetting a badly-hung laptop's BIOS
    involves removing both AC and battery and pressing and holding the power
    button.

    HTH
    -pk

    The only problems you could have are:

    1) Internal battery charger becomes defective (will not charge a battery.)

    2) Battery loose its charge or does not keep a charge.

    3) Laptop case cracks around the battery compartment.

    If any of these occur and the laptop manufacturer confirms that this was
    cause by a missing battery, this could void your warranty.

    "Bill J" <BillJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
    > using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

    I can't vouch for the battery removal at run-time issue, but many people run
    on dead batteries for years as they either have given up on their use or
    find replacing them too expensive.

    - Tim

    > Carey...I can start and run my computer on A/C just fine without the
    > battery
    > installed. My question is does it harm anything while running or while
    > off?
    > Bill J
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to use your laptop.
    >> Can you start your vehicle without the battery in place?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Bill J" wrote:
    >>
    >> | What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have
    >> while
    >> | using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

    The laptop mfg'r manual is the authority. Some might
    require the battery be installed, some might not.

    some support

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message
    |I can't vouch for the battery removal at run-time issue,
    but many people run
    | on dead batteries for years as they either have given up
    on their use or
    | find replacing them too expensive.
    |
    | - Tim
    |

    | "Bill J" <BillJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | > Carey...I can start and run my computer on A/C just fine
    without the
    | > battery
    | > installed. My question is does it harm anything while
    running or while
    | > off?
    | > Bill J
    | >
    | > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    | >
    | >> You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to
    use your laptop.
    | >> Can you start your vehicle without the battery in
    place?

    | >> --
    | >> Carey Frisch
    | >> Microsoft MVP
    | >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    | >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    | >>
    | >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    Technologies:

    "" wrote:
    > What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer
    > have while
    > using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery
    > left out?

    most likly nothing, other then windows reporting that the batary is
    ither missing or 0% charged (depends on the laptop). But if you do
    with to remove the battary and run it on AC, switch the laptop off
    first.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Lap-Top-Battery-Removal-ftopict397234.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1310302

Battery Computers Microsoft Windows XP