What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to use your laptop.
Can you start your vehicle without the battery in place?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Bill J" wrote:

| What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
| using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

Carey...I can start and run my computer on A/C just fine without the battery
installed. My question is does it harm anything while running or while off?
Bill J

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to use your laptop.
> Can you start your vehicle without the battery in place?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Bill J" wrote:
>
> | What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
> | using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:17:44 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to use your laptop.

Or just use the AC adapter.

>Can you start your vehicle without the battery in place?

Yes. Some early cars didn't even have batteries.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

No effect. Note though, that this won't extend battery life if that's why
you're asking.
--

"Bill J" <BillJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
> using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

"Bill J" <BillJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
> using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

First, you can use the latpop without the battery if AC is providing power.
As to removing the battery, there's a big dependency on the way the laptop
manufacturer implemented the charging circuits. Best to check with them.

Incidentally, one of the methods of resetting a badly-hung laptop's BIOS
involves removing both AC and battery and pressing and holding the power
button.

HTH
-pk

The only problems you could have are:

1) Internal battery charger becomes defective (will not charge a battery.)

2) Battery loose its charge or does not keep a charge.

3) Laptop case cracks around the battery compartment.

If any of these occur and the laptop manufacturer confirms that this was
cause by a missing battery, this could void your warranty.

"Bill J" <BillJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have while
> using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

Tim

I can't vouch for the battery removal at run-time issue, but many people run
on dead batteries for years as they either have given up on their use or
find replacing them too expensive.

- Tim

> Carey...I can start and run my computer on A/C just fine without the
> battery
> installed. My question is does it harm anything while running or while
> off?
> Bill J
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to use your laptop.
>> Can you start your vehicle without the battery in place?
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Bill J" wrote:
>>
>> | What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer have
>> while
>> | using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery left out?

The laptop mfg'r manual is the authority. Some might
require the battery be installed, some might not.

some support

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message
|I can't vouch for the battery removal at run-time issue,
but many people run
| on dead batteries for years as they either have given up
on their use or
| find replacing them too expensive.
|
| - Tim
|

| "Bill J" <BillJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > Carey...I can start and run my computer on A/C just fine
without the
| > battery
| > installed. My question is does it harm anything while
running or while
| > off?
| > Bill J
| >
| > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
| >
| >> You'll have to replace the battery before attempting to
use your laptop.
| >> Can you start your vehicle without the battery in
place?

| >> --
| >> Carey Frisch
| >> Microsoft MVP
| >> Windows XP - Shell/User
| >> Microsoft Newsgroups
| >>
| >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
Technologies:

| >> while
battery left out?

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> What effect does removing the battery from my lap top computer
> have while
> using it on A/C and then storing the computer with battery
> left out?

most likly nothing, other then windows reporting that the batary is
ither missing or 0% charged (depends on the laptop). But if you do
with to remove the battary and run it on AC, switch the laptop off
first.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Lap-Top-Battery-Removal-ftopict397234.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1310302