Why no 'Load' option for cd?

Hi there,
Some months ago(perhaps then I had Nero InCD installed) I had the 'load'
option for cd after I used to eject the cd drive and right-click drive icon.
But after that I had to reinstall Windows starting from the scratch. Now when
I eject the drive there I can see the 'eject' option still there and does not
happen anything clicking on it while the cd is ejected.
My question is that- is it some settings in Windows itself or the handler
comes from any third party software(e.g., I doubt for Nero InCD here)?
I dont want to check by reinstalling InCD as its file system UDFS is not
supported by Windows XP.
Yes, I run windows xp with sp2, the cd/dvd combo drive is Sony CRX320E
(which is inbuilt with XP, so there is no chance to check for sony cd driver
also).
Thanks in advance.
--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:50:03 -0700, Pramit Roy wrote:

> Hi there,
> Some months ago(perhaps then I had Nero InCD installed) I had the 'load'
> option for cd after I used to eject the cd drive and right-click drive icon.
> But after that I had to reinstall Windows starting from the scratch. Now when
> I eject the drive there I can see the 'eject' option still there and does not
> happen anything clicking on it while the cd is ejected.
> My question is that- is it some settings in Windows itself or the handler
> comes from any third party software(e.g., I doubt for Nero InCD here)?
> I dont want to check by reinstalling InCD as its file system UDFS is not
> supported by Windows XP.
> Yes, I run windows xp with sp2, the cd/dvd combo drive is Sony CRX320E
> (which is inbuilt with XP, so there is no chance to check for sony cd driver
> also).
> Thanks in advance.

I have never seen an option named "Load" for recordable drives. I've used
Roxio's software, Ahead's (including InCD) and XP's builtin function. In
other words, I suspect this option was added to your system by a third
party application. I have no idea which one though. Perhaps something that
came originally with the Sony drive or with the PC if the drive was
provided as part of the PC package?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Could the "load" option refer to the slotted CD/DVD drives? Most CD/DVD
drives are mainly "tray" style.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:49:55 -0400, Yves Leclerc wrote:

> Could the "load" option refer to the slotted CD/DVD drives? Most CD/DVD
> drives are mainly "tray" style.

Maybe, Yves. But I've never seen this option before on the desktops and
laptops that I've had hands on experience with.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

But I had that. When I used to eject the drive and at that condition
right-click on the drive icon in 'My Computer', not in any tray icon(I have
nothing so) I used to find that then, but not now and I told also that there
is nothing from Sony when it came as a package. The driver is auto-detected
by XP.
Strange!! cause I cannot recall that I had any extra third party software
for the drive then. I have Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.12, Cyberlink
PowerDVD5(both now and then).
OK, its not a problem and I can live without that well.
--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:49:55 -0400, Yves Leclerc wrote:
>
> > Could the "load" option refer to the slotted CD/DVD drives? Most CD/DVD
> > drives are mainly "tray" style.
>
> Maybe, Yves. But I've never seen this option before on the desktops and
> laptops that I've had hands on experience with.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

There might be Several cuases in my sight.

1. Nero InCD [version 4.0.0.1 beta and above]: yes, InCD Actually loades
this handler into windows shell, I have no idea how. but if you want it I
will go through registry to find it for you. By the way, windows XP supports
UDF, both 1.02 and 1.5; if you use InCD and you cannot access disks formatted
you can chenage the UDF version in preferences to matching one. there are
many settings you should change to make disks acceptable by windows without
installing that 430 KB InCD reader.

2. Sometimes Nero Image Drive causes this, too. sometime when you activate
NID, it addes it self to windows shell, sometimes not. if so you will have a
Load butoon instead of Ehect, or Load/Eject.

3. Vitual CD Manager: those this as well (and some others like Daemon Tools,
Alcohol 120% and CloneCD [4.2.1.3 and below]).

4. Some versions of ASPI include this option. these contain localized or
specefic ASPI layers. original ASPI from adaptec has no such option.

And something else, remember every CD-RW drive comes in a package, unless
you have bought it in Large packages. every package includes the drive
itself, screws, installation disks (including vendor's software (unless it's
a very old drive) and burning software like Nero or Easy CD Creator, in a
very professional drive nothing!, and of course any DVD software for combo or
DVD-ROM like PowerDVD), documentation, installation figures, and sometimes
empty CD-RW and/or CD-R, Manual Eject Pin, and ... . so it must have an
installayion CD at least. did you yourself install the drive for the first
time or it came pre installed on your system? did you receive all these in
your package. check Sony.com for more information about what should be in
your package.

Remember, every removable optical disk drive comes with no driver from
vendor. drivers are comtained within windows installation package.

Hope this helps,
Behnoud

How about some type of "virtual CD/DVD rom" drive software? This is
software that allows you to "copy" a CD, or VD, to your hard drive and let
you use this copy as if it was in your CD/DVD drive.

"Pramit Roy" <PramitRoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> But I had that. When I used to eject the drive and at that condition
> right-click on the drive icon in 'My Computer', not in any tray icon(I
> have
> nothing so) I used to find that then, but not now and I told also that
> there
> is nothing from Sony when it came as a package. The driver is
> auto-detected
> by XP.
> Strange!! cause I cannot recall that I had any extra third party software
> for the drive then. I have Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.12, Cyberlink
> PowerDVD5(both now and then).
> OK, its not a problem and I can live without that well.
> --
> Regards,
> Pramit Roy
>

> "Sharon F" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:49:55 -0400, Yves Leclerc wrote:
>>
>> > Could the "load" option refer to the slotted CD/DVD drives? Most
>> > CD/DVD
>> > drives are mainly "tray" style.
>>
>> Maybe, Yves. But I've never seen this option before on the desktops and
>> laptops that I've had hands on experience with.
>>
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Check to see if you have Nero Image Drive. This allows you to store CD /
DVD images to your hard drive and allows you to use this image as if you had
the media in your drive.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:01:06 -0700, Pramit Roy wrote:

> But I had that. When I used to eject the drive and at that condition
> right-click on the drive icon in 'My Computer', not in any tray icon(I have
> nothing so) I used to find that then, but not now and I told also that there
> is nothing from Sony when it came as a package. The driver is auto-detected
> by XP.
> Strange!! cause I cannot recall that I had any extra third party software
> for the drive then. I have Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.12, Cyberlink
> PowerDVD5(both now and then).
> OK, its not a problem and I can live without that well.

I'm not doubting that you didn't have that option. I'm just saying that I
can't think of what it was that added it. I've used InCD off and on since
XP was released but have never come across the option. I was hoping that
tidbit of information would at least help you to narrow down what *did* add
the option the last time. I hope that you find it again.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Yes I hope. Thank you very much.
--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:01:06 -0700, Pramit Roy wrote:
>
> > But I had that. When I used to eject the drive and at that condition
> > right-click on the drive icon in 'My Computer', not in any tray icon(I have
> > nothing so) I used to find that then, but not now and I told also that there
> > is nothing from Sony when it came as a package. The driver is auto-detected
> > by XP.
> > Strange!! cause I cannot recall that I had any extra third party software
> > for the drive then. I have Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.12, Cyberlink
> > PowerDVD5(both now and then).
> > OK, its not a problem and I can live without that well.
>
> I'm not doubting that you didn't have that option. I'm just saying that I
> can't think of what it was that added it. I've used InCD off and on since
> XP was released but have never come across the option. I was hoping that
> tidbit of information would at least help you to narrow down what *did* add
> the option the last time. I hope that you find it again.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Yes, I got another point. I had ASPI then and that version was wrong. What
happened is I got a software SCSI Id from www.grc.com. It gets the aspi and
scsi id for those drives. It asked me to download the driver named
"aspi32.exe" and that was not meant for XP. I downloaded the XP version but
SCSI ID could not detect the ids. Then I downloaded the wrong version as
asked and SCSI ID successfully gave the information. Now, after the
formatting I do not have that wrong version, only XP version of aspi drivers
from www.adaptec.com. So there it may just happen unknowingly. Should I
workaround and install "aspi32.exe" ? But adaptec.com written it as "Do NOT
install ASPI32.EXE with Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Easy CD Creator
4.x, or with Windows Media Player 7.0. If you have one of these applications
(or operating systems), you will be using a different aspi layer that will
conflict with the one provided in this file."

And for cd-drivers, I had only the burner software(Nero 6) and Cyberlink
Power DVD that came with cd/dvd combo drive and I was not asked for any
driver. Sony's site do not contain any info for this and driverguide had no
driver for it also. It is in Windows third party driver list and
automatically detected.

Well, I don't know how to make windows to accept udf or how to change file
system in InCD[4.0.3...something] while formatting. I formatted cd's with
InCD and found that a 702 mb cd became 530 mb only while I found by Nero that
there is only 2 kb data on the blank cd after it was formatted. When I tried
to write on that by copying and pasting files on the cd, Windows XP said it
does not support UDF file system.
So it is difficult to continue with InCD. I uninstalled that. If you have
any information on that please send that here.

Thank you very much.

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"Behnoud" wrote:

> There might be Several cuases in my sight.
>
> 1. Nero InCD [version 4.0.0.1 beta and above]: yes, InCD Actually loades
> this handler into windows shell, I have no idea how. but if you want it I
> will go through registry to find it for you. By the way, windows XP supports
> UDF, both 1.02 and 1.5; if you use InCD and you cannot access disks formatted
> you can chenage the UDF version in preferences to matching one. there are
> many settings you should change to make disks acceptable by windows without
> installing that 430 KB InCD reader.
>
> 2. Sometimes Nero Image Drive causes this, too. sometime when you activate
> NID, it addes it self to windows shell, sometimes not. if so you will have a
> Load butoon instead of Ehect, or Load/Eject.
>
> 3. Vitual CD Manager: those this as well (and some others like Daemon Tools,
> Alcohol 120% and CloneCD [4.2.1.3 and below]).
>
> 4. Some versions of ASPI include this option. these contain localized or
> specefic ASPI layers. original ASPI from adaptec has no such option.
>
> And something else, remember every CD-RW drive comes in a package, unless
> you have bought it in Large packages. every package includes the drive
> itself, screws, installation disks (including vendor's software (unless it's
> a very old drive) and burning software like Nero or Easy CD Creator, in a
> very professional drive nothing!, and of course any DVD software for combo or
> DVD-ROM like PowerDVD), documentation, installation figures, and sometimes
> empty CD-RW and/or CD-R, Manual Eject Pin, and ... . so it must have an
> installayion CD at least. did you yourself install the drive for the first
> time or it came pre installed on your system? did you receive all these in
> your package. check Sony.com for more information about what should be in
> your package.
>
> Remember, every removable optical disk drive comes with no driver from
> vendor. drivers are comtained within windows installation package.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Behnoud

One thing more,
I had "Eject" option while drive was not ejected and "Load" option in place
of "Eject" when ejected, not Eject/Load simaltaneously.

Thank you.
--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"Behnoud" wrote:

> There might be Several cuases in my sight.
>
> 1. Nero InCD [version 4.0.0.1 beta and above]: yes, InCD Actually loades
> this handler into windows shell, I have no idea how. but if you want it I
> will go through registry to find it for you. By the way, windows XP supports
> UDF, both 1.02 and 1.5; if you use InCD and you cannot access disks formatted
> you can chenage the UDF version in preferences to matching one. there are
> many settings you should change to make disks acceptable by windows without
> installing that 430 KB InCD reader.
>
> 2. Sometimes Nero Image Drive causes this, too. sometime when you activate
> NID, it addes it self to windows shell, sometimes not. if so you will have a
> Load butoon instead of Ehect, or Load/Eject.
>
> 3. Vitual CD Manager: those this as well (and some others like Daemon Tools,
> Alcohol 120% and CloneCD [4.2.1.3 and below]).
>
> 4. Some versions of ASPI include this option. these contain localized or
> specefic ASPI layers. original ASPI from adaptec has no such option.
>
> And something else, remember every CD-RW drive comes in a package, unless
> you have bought it in Large packages. every package includes the drive
> itself, screws, installation disks (including vendor's software (unless it's
> a very old drive) and burning software like Nero or Easy CD Creator, in a
> very professional drive nothing!, and of course any DVD software for combo or
> DVD-ROM like PowerDVD), documentation, installation figures, and sometimes
> empty CD-RW and/or CD-R, Manual Eject Pin, and ... . so it must have an
> installayion CD at least. did you yourself install the drive for the first
> time or it came pre installed on your system? did you receive all these in
> your package. check Sony.com for more information about what should be in
> your package.
>
> Remember, every removable optical disk drive comes with no driver from
> vendor. drivers are comtained within windows installation package.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Behnoud

Found the answer at last.
Thats the InCD indeed. That loaded the handler in cd right-click menu.
Thanks to all who have posted.
But don't know how to format in CDFS using InCD.
Still thanks to all.
--
Regards,
Pramit Roy