Need printer cost accounting solution

We hvae a peer network with several flavors of Windows, 98,2K,XP and
we are looking for a utility that will intercept print jobs sent
printers and prompt the user for identifying information, such as
client number before sending the job to the printer. The information
collected would be stored in a central location (a shared directory on
the server would be appropriate). This information would be used to
charge back to clients the cost of producing reports. The ony thing I
can find is Equitrac which is out of our budget, Are thre any other
solutions out there? I've search the archives and the only thing I
find about other products give me links that now lead to equitrac.

TIA
jt
11 answers Last reply
More about need printer cost accounting solution

    Really good solutions are not cheap - When you say out of your range, you
    should define what that is -

    You might look at http://www.nearstar.com

    They have a product called DataServer which can be adapted to do what you
    want -

    Bob

    "Bob Hosid" <rhosid1@comcastnospam.net> wrote in message news:<tJadnSW8VYZ0VGLdRVn-pg@comcast.com>...
    > Really good solutions are not cheap - When you say out of your range, you
    > should define what that is -

    I'm thinking in the sub $100 per workstation range

    jt

    On 22 Jul 2004 13:07:07 -0700, jeeptop2000@yahoo.com (jt) wrote:

    >"Bob Hosid" <rhosid1@comcastnospam.net> wrote in message news:<tJadnSW8VYZ0VGLdRVn-pg@comcast.com>...
    >> Really good solutions are not cheap - When you say out of your range, you
    >> should define what that is -
    >
    >I'm thinking in the sub $100 per workstation range
    >
    >jt

    Then you're into "buy VS.Net and roll your own" territory.

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message

    > Then you're into "buy VS.Net and roll your own" territory.

    Well, not sure what that means but I have been able to locate 2
    products. Print Audit and

    Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message >
    > Then you're into "buy VS.Net and roll your own" territory.

    Not sure what that means but I have been able to locate 2 products
    WinPT from http://www.infoware.ca/ and Print Audit
    http://www.printaudit.com

    jt

    On 25 Jul 2004 14:30:22 -0700, jeeptop2000@yahoo.com (jt) wrote:

    >Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message >
    >> Then you're into "buy VS.Net and roll your own" territory.
    >
    >Not sure what that means but I have been able to locate 2 products
    >WinPT from http://www.infoware.ca/ and Print Audit
    >http://www.printaudit.com

    Writing your own code to do the job.

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    jt wrote:
    > Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message >
    >
    >>Then you're into "buy VS.Net and roll your own" territory.
    >

    > Not sure what that means but I have been able to locate 2 products
    > WinPT from http://www.infoware.ca/ and Print Audit
    > http://www.printaudit.com
    >
    > jt

    I don't know where you are in the world, but you should look at MegaTrack.
    US: http://www.capellatech.com/products/print_tracking/megatrack.cfm
    Europe: http://www.bluemega-technology.com//siteus/partners.htm

    Also there is an accounting module for an excellent print management
    solution called SafeCom. Look at:
    http://www.safecom.dk/

    --
    Mushroom

    Mushroom <mushroom@nospan.thanks> wrote in message news:<T3PNc.243$Lz.160@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>...
    > I don't know where you are in the world, but you should look at MegaTrack.
    > US: http://www.capellatech.com/products/print_tracking/megatrack.cfm
    > Europe: http://www.bluemega-technology.com//siteus/partners.htm
    >
    > Also there is an accounting module for an excellent print management
    > solution called SafeCom. Look at:
    > http://www.safecom.dk/

    If it were left to me, I'd find an old machine, say Pentium II or
    worse and install BSD or Linux on it. You could then configure Samba,
    which allows printer sharing via Microsoft's Netbios (i.e. File and
    Printer Sharing). Each Microsoft client would then authenticate via a
    username/password and be billed accordingly.
    I think Samba has all sorts of modules which can email you the
    accounting statistics and create graphs etc.

    I'm not saying this would be easy for a newbie, but if you've used
    Linux/Unix before, then it should be plain sailing.

    Hope this helps,

    James.

    Mushroom <mushroom@nospan.thanks> wrote in message news:<T3PNc.243>
    > I don't know where you are in the world, but you should look at MegaTrack.
    > US: http://www.capellatech.com/products/print_tracking/megatrack.cfm
    > Europe: http://www.bluemega-technology.com//siteus/partners.htm
    >
    > Also there is an accounting module for an excellent print management
    > solution called SafeCom. Look at:
    > http://www.safecom.dk/

    Thanks. The first just seems to be server side capture and reporting,
    which is not what I want. It seems geered to optimizing printing
    costs. While a good gaol it is not what I want. The clue is that it
    sits on the print server and requiers no user intervention. I requier
    a solution the will promt a user for a clients account code and
    capture that so I can bill the client, 3rd party, for the print job.

    The Danish one might work but I dont' want to get into a solution that
    doesn't at least have a US phone number

    jt

    jt wrote:
    > Mushroom <mushroom@nospan.thanks> wrote in message news:<T3PNc.243>
    >
    >>I don't know where you are in the world, but you should look at MegaTrack.
    >>US: http://www.capellatech.com/products/print_tracking/megatrack.cfm
    >>Europe: http://www.bluemega-technology.com//siteus/partners.htm
    >>
    >>Also there is an accounting module for an excellent print management
    >>solution called SafeCom. Look at:
    >>http://www.safecom.dk/
    >

    > Thanks. The first just seems to be server side capture and reporting,
    > which is not what I want. It seems geered to optimizing printing
    > costs. While a good gaol it is not what I want. The clue is that it
    > sits on the print server and requiers no user intervention. I requier
    > a solution the will promt a user for a clients account code and
    > capture that so I can bill the client, 3rd party, for the print job.
    >
    > The Danish one might work but I dont' want to get into a solution that
    > doesn't at least have a US phone number
    >
    > jt

    Talk to Capella - it will be able to do what you want. If you have
    modern HP printers then you can also install a companion piece of
    software called SecureJet which does "follow me" or "pull" printing.
    Users print to a central server and then go to any printer and log in
    through a front panel or through an ID card and teh job goes to that
    device. It can tie in to MegaTrack accounting so it only bills them for
    what they print. It can even put a stop on an account if they have run
    over the budget. Capella can do a WebEx demo over the Net to show you
    all the functions you need.

    Safe com also does something simliar but event better and more tightly
    integrated, but I don't know if they have a US reseller.

    --
    Mushroom

    Dear JT,

    Print Audit 4 will do exactly as you describe.
    For more information call me at 877-41AUDIT (2-8348 or 403-685-4932
    write sales@printaudit.com or visit our website at www.printaudit.com
    Support is free during the evaluation stage and for the life of the
    software. Full version available for trial run on our website.

    Print Audit 4 will track and capture one hundred percent of print/plot
    information from all print devices including digital copiers,
    plotters, network printers and local printers. User-defined reports
    can then be used to accurately bill your clients for out-of-pocket
    expenses. Print Audit 4 has AutoCAD and MicroStation plug-ins and is
    compatible with virtually all spreadsheets, databases and accounting
    programs.

    Print Audit 4 includes a silent install tool that allows it to be
    easily installed to a large user base via logon scripts. Just the
    Print Audit "Client" (which is 2 mb) is installed on user computers.
    The architecture of Print Audit was designed with flexibility in mind.
    We currently support Microsoft Access, Novel, Microsoft SQL Server and
    Oracle databases.

    jeeptop2000@yahoo.com (jt) wrote in message news:<5faf7c00.0407290508.346b3b2c@posting.google.com>...
    > Mushroom <mushroom@nospan.thanks> wrote in message news:<T3PNc.243>
    > > I don't know where you are in the world, but you should look at MegaTrack.
    > > US: http://www.capellatech.com/products/print_tracking/megatrack.cfm
    > > Europe: http://www.bluemega-technology.com//siteus/partners.htm
    > >
    > > Also there is an accounting module for an excellent print management
    > > solution called SafeCom. Look at:
    > > http://www.safecom.dk/
    >

    > Thanks. The first just seems to be server side capture and reporting,
    > which is not what I want. It seems geered to optimizing printing
    > costs. While a good gaol it is not what I want. The clue is that it
    > sits on the print server and requiers no user intervention. I requier
    > a solution the will promt a user for a clients account code and
    > capture that so I can bill the client, 3rd party, for the print job.
    >
    > The Danish one might work but I dont' want to get into a solution that
    > doesn't at least have a US phone number
    >
    > jt

Printers Peripherals