Restoring an AMD Athlon CPU to its original configuration

Hello,

I need some help restoring my AMD Athlon to its original state after
being (I think) overclocked/tampered with by its former user.

These are my processor specs:
A1100AMS3B
ASHHA013OUPGW
96774450138
(C)1999

AMD Athlon 0.18um
1100 MHz
Package CPGA
1.75V
95 Celsius
256kb cache 2
System Bus Speed 200Mhz

There are groups of little gold connectors pairs on top of the AMD.
Some have been bridged with a pencil.

How do I
a) find the original configuration of the CPU (what is bridged, what
isn't)?
b) unbridge two connectors already connected with a pencil mark?
c) re-connect two connectors already separated?

Thank you in advance for your patience.

"Florian M." <cryo23@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I need some help restoring my AMD Athlon to its original state after
> being (I think) overclocked/tampered with by its former user.
>
> These are my processor specs:
> A1100AMS3B
> ASHHA013OUPGW
> 96774450138
> (C)1999
>
> AMD Athlon 0.18um
> 1100 MHz
> Package CPGA
> 1.75V
> 95 Celsius
> 256kb cache 2
> System Bus Speed 200Mhz
>
> There are groups of little gold connectors pairs on top of the AMD.
> Some have been bridged with a pencil.
>
> How do I
> a) find the original configuration of the CPU (what is bridged, what
> isn't)?
> b) unbridge two connectors already connected with a pencil mark?
> c) re-connect two connectors already separated?
>
> Thank you in advance for your patience.
Well, Yeah. Your Page On "
The Real Front Side Bus
I would have to say though, sometimes the FSB don't match that exact, I
learned this off some one else on the Overclockers NG's
The 533 P4 brakes down to something like 133.25 Something, even the 800
brakes down a bit Odd.
Mine is something like 199.99 Sometimes it don't = 800, it's something
like that anyway, hard to remember when I don't remember the last time this
thing was even running the right speed. but most cpu programs just look at
it as 800 Bus Speed. What ever, what ever.

Much of a smile though, Per Clock.. I learned this one from someone on one
of these groups too.
I'm also glad that AMD is going the direction they are too, Intel is soon
going to make it even more confusing with
a little over 1Ghz FSB with one of the new chips, of which will be the
same thing, 1024/4=256
I was reading a little higher, but I don't remember the number.
And going to 775 LGA, I've seen a pic of one, they look really neat, weather
or not people will like it is yet to be seen.
Back to AMD for a moment/last thing I'm saying here.

Not so long ago, someome asked me to help them with installing a new video
card in a 2GHz P4
Sounds to me, from what he was telling me, is his board probably only
takes a 4x video card.
I suggested doing a full upgrade, and going with AMD with a board with 8x
support.
They want good speed, but don't want to spend a lot. I suggested getting
only one stick of DDR266 128
And then going with more ram later when they have the money.
They most times do Photo's, but sometimes do Video Games.
Now I'm asking you something, was it good to suggest AMD?
I don't know why I'm questing this, I guess cause this is an AMD NG, but I
think I should've started a new thread for this.

Denny. :)

On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:34:46 -0700, Florian M. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need some help restoring my AMD Athlon to its original state after
> being (I think) overclocked/tampered with by its former user.
>
> These are my processor specs:
> A1100AMS3B
> There are groups of little gold connectors pairs on top of the AMD.
> Some have been bridged with a pencil.
>
> How do I
> a) find the original configuration of the CPU (what is bridged, what
> isn't)?

You bridge the L1's to unlock the multiplier. They are normally open.

> b) unbridge two connectors already connected with a pencil mark?

Hmmm... and eraser I guess:)

> c) re-connect two connectors already separated?

Pencil or conductive paint, whatever.

This might help.

http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/mother/duron-e.html

Here's how they should look for your cpu :)=open, C=closed)
L1 : : : :

L3 C C : : L4 C C : : (multiplier =11)

I think this is correct.

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

> I'm also glad that AMD is going the direction they are too, Intel is soon
> going to make it even more confusing with
> a little over 1Ghz FSB with one of the new chips, of which will be the
> same thing, 1024/4=256
> I was reading a little higher, but I don't remember the number.

1066 MHz, which is 533 x 2. What's confusing about it? I'd assume the
next jump will be to 1200 MHz (400 x 3), followed next by 1600 MHz (but
will that be 533 x 3, or 400 x 4, eh?).

--
Mike Smith

"Florian M." <cryo23@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I need some help restoring my AMD Athlon to its original state after
> being (I think) overclocked/tampered with by its former user.
>
> These are my processor specs:
> A1100AMS3B
> ASHHA013OUPGW
> 96774450138
> (C)1999
>
> AMD Athlon 0.18um
> 1100 MHz
> Package CPGA
> 1.75V
> 95 Celsius

You sure thats 95 degrees Celsisus......?
Most cpu's will burn at 85.

> 256kb cache 2
> System Bus Speed 200Mhz
>
> There are groups of little gold connectors pairs on top of the AMD.
> Some have been bridged with a pencil.
>
> How do I
> a) find the original configuration of the CPU (what is bridged, what
> isn't)?
> b) unbridge two connectors already connected with a pencil mark?
> c) re-connect two connectors already separated?
>
> Thank you in advance for your patience.

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]
> Here's how they should look for your cpu :)=open, C=closed)
> L1 : : : :
>
> L3 C C : : L4 C C : : (multiplier =11)
>
> I think this is correct.

You think correctly :)

--
Michael Brown

Robert

don't all old athlons like that run at 266 front side bus (or 133 in bios
settings)? why not just set your bios to 133 and your other setting to auto
and see what you get.

geoff

> There are groups of little gold connectors pairs on top of the AMD.
> Some have been bridged with a pencil.
>
> How do I
> a) find the original configuration of the CPU (what is bridged, what
> isn't)?
> b) unbridge two connectors already connected with a pencil mark?
> c) re-connect two connectors already separated?
>
> Thank you in advance for your patience.

what you normaly do when getting rid of pencil, use a rubber lol

On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:29:30 +0000, Robert wrote:

> don't all old athlons like that run at 266 front side bus (or 133 in bios
> settings)?

No. The default for a 1200 Tbird B model is 100MHz.

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
> Not so long ago, someome asked me to help them with installing a new
> video card in a 2GHz P4
> Sounds to me, from what he was telling me, is his board probably only
> takes a 4x video card.
> I suggested doing a full upgrade, and going with AMD with a board with 8x
> support.

I thought 8x Video Cards are compatible with 4x slots?

> They want good speed, but don't want to spend a lot. I suggested getting
> only one stick of DDR266 128

Thats not enough memory. 256MB is a bare minimum. Might as well get PC3200
as well, since it's not that much more and might allow you to re-use it on
the next upgrade (Who am I kidding :p)

> And then going with more ram later when they have the money.
> They most times do Photo's, but sometimes do Video Games.
> Now I'm asking you something, was it good to suggest AMD?
> I don't know why I'm questing this, I guess cause this is an AMD NG,
> but I think I should've started a new thread for this.

Well, Yeah, price/performance is gonna be better on AMD, but only if you
need a new motherboard to get a faster chip in there.

Ben

"Mike Smith" <mike_UNDERSCORE_smith@acm.DOT.org> wrote in message
> Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
>
> > I'm also glad that AMD is going the direction they are too, Intel is
soon
> > going to make it even more confusing with
> > a little over 1Ghz FSB with one of the new chips, of which will be
the
> > same thing, 1024/4=256
> > I was reading a little higher, but I don't remember the number.
>
> 1066 MHz, which is 533 x 2. What's confusing about it? I'd assume the
> next jump will be to 1200 MHz (400 x 3), followed next by 1600 MHz (but
> will that be 533 x 3, or 400 x 4, eh?).
>
> --
> Mike Smith

Either way, it's still confusing. or it can be.

Denny. :)