Faster socket A CPU's in the future?

I noticed on AMD's processor roadmap that there at least two new
Athlon XP (the 32-bit ones) processors planned for both mobile and desktop.
Both will be based on a 90nm process and are slated for 2H 05. Will these be
faster Athlon XP processors? Will they be socket A? Will AMD bother to come out
with them?

Ed

On 27 May 2004 17:17:55 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

>I noticed on AMD's processor roadmap that there at least two new
>Athlon XP (the 32-bit ones) processors planned for both mobile and desktop.
>Both will be based on a 90nm process and are slated for 2H 05. Will these be
>faster Athlon XP processors? Will they be socket A? Will AMD bother to come out
>with them?
>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

The Barton 3200+ was released over a year ago and is still the fastest
CPU for socket-A, I doubt we see any faster chips for socket-A since AMD
is already making 32-bit only chips for the Socket 754.

heres one unofficial roadmap...
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/AthlonXP.gif

AMD Update: Following in Intel's Naming Footsteps
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2056

Ed

According to the trade rags Sock-A is history. My guess is that 64 bit will
take over a lot faster than anyone expects. The problem now is apparently
software but that's on its way to being fixed. Intel is on board the 64 bit
train I believe after a bit of foot stamping.

"notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
> Intel is on board the 64 bit train I believe after a bit of foot stamping.

Yep, and completely 'copying' AMD's approach by all accounts!! Apparently
because MS have refused to develop any more different 64-bit versions of
Windows. :eek:)))