Blotches on screen of 2nd hand monitor

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

I've just bought a used Dell P791 17" Monitor from Ebay which has some
'blotches' on the right hand side of the screen. They're on the glass
(dunno whether inside or out) and while I'm waiting for a reply from
the seller I wondered if anyone more knowledgeable than me (which
means most of you) could have a look at a pic (250k approx) and maybe
offer some advice:

http://members.aol.com/jorolat/Blotches.jpg

Hope you can help :)

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought a used Dell P791 17" Monitor from Ebay which has some
> 'blotches' on the right hand side of the screen. They're on the glass
> (dunno whether inside or out) and while I'm waiting for a reply from
> the seller I wondered if anyone more knowledgeable than me (which
> means most of you) could have a look at a pic (250k approx) and maybe
> offer some advice:
>
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/Blotches.jpg
>
> Hope you can help :)

Looks like the coating on the glass has been rubbed off in transit, as it
was badly packed.

ss.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:37:07 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"
<synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote:

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just bought a used Dell P791 17" Monitor from Ebay which has some
>> 'blotches' on the right hand side of the screen. They're on the glass
>> (dunno whether inside or out) and while I'm waiting for a reply from
>> the seller I wondered if anyone more knowledgeable than me (which
>> means most of you) could have a look at a pic (250k approx) and maybe
>> offer some advice:
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/Blotches.jpg
>>
>> Hope you can help :)
>>

>Looks like the coating on the glass has been rubbed off in transit, as it
>was badly packed.
>
>ss.

I must admit the packing wasn't very good - this 'coating' stuff, can
it be reapplied or the rest of it taken off so that it's uniform all
over?

Dumb questions I'm sure :)

--

> I must admit the packing wasn't very good - this 'coating' stuff, can
> it be reapplied or the rest of it taken off so that it's uniform all
> over?

It appears that this coating is anti-reflective and anti-static and may also
have optical qualities. There are people who report being able to remove
the coating on this page.
http://www.ehow.com/tips_940.html

All I could find about reapplication was this page, but I think it will just
make things worse.
http://www.hantarex.co.uk/anti_glare.html

ss.

blackthorn

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:37:07 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"
> <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote:
>

>>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just bought a used Dell P791 17" Monitor from Ebay which has some
>>> 'blotches' on the right hand side of the screen. They're on the glass
>>> (dunno whether inside or out) and while I'm waiting for a reply from
>>> the seller I wondered if anyone more knowledgeable than me (which
>>> means most of you) could have a look at a pic (250k approx) and maybe
>>> offer some advice:
>>>
>>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/Blotches.jpg
>>>
>>> Hope you can help :)
>>>

>>Looks like the coating on the glass has been rubbed off in transit, as it
>>was badly packed.
>>
>>ss.
>>

> I must admit the packing wasn't very good - this 'coating' stuff, can
> it be reapplied or the rest of it taken off so that it's uniform all
> over?
>
> Dumb questions I'm sure :)

The short answer is I doubt it....see the following,

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/67909965/m/6770995735

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:04:44 GMT, "Blackthorn" <nenagh_uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:37:07 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"
>> <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote:
>>

>>>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Looks like the coating on the glass has been rubbed off in transit, as it
>>>was badly packed.
>>>
>>>ss.
>>>

>> I must admit the packing wasn't very good - this 'coating' stuff, can
>> it be reapplied or the rest of it taken off so that it's uniform all
>> over?
>>
>> Dumb questions I'm sure :)
>
>The short answer is I doubt it....see the following,
>
>http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/67909965/m/6770995735

I see what you mean Blackthorn :(

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:06:35 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"
<synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote:

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>

>> I must admit the packing wasn't very good - this 'coating' stuff, can
>> it be reapplied or the rest of it taken off so that it's uniform all
>> over?
>>

>It appears that this coating is anti-reflective and anti-static and may also
>have optical qualities. There are people who report being able to remove
>the coating on this page.
>http://www.ehow.com/tips_940.html
>
>All I could find about reapplication was this page, but I think it will just
>make things worse.
>http://www.hantarex.co.uk/anti_glare.html
>
>ss.

Thanks again ss - seems a shame that a little more care over the
packing and I would have been as happy as a sandboy.

Oh well, have to wait & see what the seller says I guess.

--

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:06:35 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"

> Thanks again ss - seems a shame that a little more care over the
> packing and I would have been as happy as a sandboy.
>
> Oh well, have to wait & see what the seller says I guess.

You are generous in giving the seller the benefit of the doubt regarding the
packaging. How can you be sure that the monitor was not already in that
condition?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:21:49 GMT, "Blackthorn" <nenagh_uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:06:35 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"
>
>> Thanks again ss - seems a shame that a little more care over the
>> packing and I would have been as happy as a sandboy.
>>
>> Oh well, have to wait & see what the seller says I guess.
>
>You are generous in giving the seller the benefit of the doubt regarding the
>packaging. How can you be sure that the monitor was not already in that
>condition?

He seemed quite genuine in emails before I bought the monitor -
although he did state how well it would be packaged!

--

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:27:28 +0100, John Latter wrote:

> He seemed quite genuine in emails before I bought the monitor -
> although he did state how well it would be packaged!

Did he insure the shipment? If it was damaged in transit, there may some
recourse there. If damaged before shipping, that's another matter...
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

<jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>>You are generous in giving the seller the benefit of the doubt regarding the
>>packaging. How can you be sure that the monitor was not already in that
>>condition?
>>

>He seemed quite genuine in emails before I bought the monitor -
>although he did state how well it would be packaged!

Did you look VERY closely at the ebay picture(s)?

I could be wrong but the marks look more like someone used
small motions trying to clean it improperly than packing
problems. Most of the packing/shipping type problems I've
seen occur nearer the middle of the tube, not so close to
the border which is inherantly better protected because the
plastic case is a raised area. Can't say it's impossible
though, depends a lot on exactly how it was packed.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:48:05 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:27:28 +0100, John Latter wrote:
>
>> He seemed quite genuine in emails before I bought the monitor -
>> although he did state how well it would be packaged!
>
>Did he insure the shipment? If it was damaged in transit, there may some
>recourse there. If damaged before shipping, that's another matter...

I was offered the option of insuring and I decided not to because the
ebay page said:

"ALL MONITORS ARE PACKED WITH AT LEAST 4 INCHES OF PACKING AROUND THE
MONITOR. OUR ITEMS GET TO YOU IN ONE PIECE."

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5213483656&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I've emailed the seller & sent him a pic too but haven't heard from
him yet. The monitor was well wrapped in bubblewrap but there
certainly was nowhere near enough polystyrene for the huge box the
monitor came in - when I opened it up the monitor was lying on one
side of the box & the polystyrene was piled up on the other.

--

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:21:59 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:27:28 +0100, John Latter
><jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>>You are generous in giving the seller the benefit of the doubt regarding the
>>>packaging. How can you be sure that the monitor was not already in that
>>>condition?
>>>

>>He seemed quite genuine in emails before I bought the monitor -
>>although he did state how well it would be packaged!
>

>Did you look VERY closely at the ebay picture(s)?
>
>I could be wrong but the marks look more like someone used
>small motions trying to clean it improperly than packing
>problems. Most of the packing/shipping type problems I've
>seen occur nearer the middle of the tube, not so close to
>the border which is inherantly better protected because the
>plastic case is a raised area. Can't say it's impossible
>though, depends a lot on exactly how it was packed.

"The monitor was well wrapped in bubblewrap but there
certainly was nowhere near enough polystyrene for the huge box the
monitor came in - when I opened it up the monitor was lying on one
side of the box & the polystyrene was piled up on the other."

The bubblewrap wasn't 'punctured' in any way & the main blotches look
very much as if a liquid had been splashed onto the screen & allowed
to dry - not that I know much about these things.

I don't think it was transit damage but I have to wait until I hear
from the seller and see what he says.

--

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:16:40 +0100, John Latter wrote:

> I was offered the option of insuring and I decided not to because the
> ebay page said:
>
> "ALL MONITORS ARE PACKED WITH AT LEAST 4 INCHES OF PACKING AROUND THE
> MONITOR. OUR ITEMS GET TO YOU IN ONE PIECE."
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5213483656&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
>
> I've emailed the seller & sent him a pic too but haven't heard from
> him yet. The monitor was well wrapped in bubblewrap but there
> certainly was nowhere near enough polystyrene for the huge box the
> monitor came in - when I opened it up the monitor was lying on one
> side of the box & the polystyrene was piled up on the other.

Bummer, John.

I've used a little bit of rubbing alcohol to remove stubborn smudges on CRT
screens. You might give that a try. However, from the photo, I have to
agree with others: it looks like the reflective coating has been scuffed. I
don't know of any way to "undo" that. Sorry.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

<jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>I was offered the option of insuring and I decided not to because the
>ebay page said:
>
>"ALL MONITORS ARE PACKED WITH AT LEAST 4 INCHES OF PACKING AROUND THE
>MONITOR. OUR ITEMS GET TO YOU IN ONE PIECE."
>
>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5213483656&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
>
>I've emailed the seller & sent him a pic too but haven't heard from
>him yet. The monitor was well wrapped in bubblewrap but there
>certainly was nowhere near enough polystyrene for the huge box the
>monitor came in - when I opened it up the monitor was lying on one
>side of the box & the polystyrene was piled up on the other.

Then it was improperly packed. Seller can't just throw a
part into a box then claim you're SOL if you didn't insure
it, as even WITH shipper's insurance the packing job
would've voided that insurance.

blackthorn

Distinguished
May 27, 2003

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:27:28 +0100, John Latter
> <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>>You are generous in giving the seller the benefit of the doubt regarding
>>>the
>>>packaging. How can you be sure that the monitor was not already in that
>>>condition?
>>>

>>He seemed quite genuine in emails before I bought the monitor -
>>although he did state how well it would be packaged!
>

> Did you look VERY closely at the ebay picture(s)?
>
> I could be wrong but the marks look more like someone used
> small motions trying to clean it improperly than packing
> problems.

It looks like the seller sells monitors regurarly and it is therefore quite
likely that he uses the same picture for all monitors of the same type.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:44:38 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:16:40 +0100, John Latter
><jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I was offered the option of insuring and I decided not to because the
>>ebay page said:
>>
>>"ALL MONITORS ARE PACKED WITH AT LEAST 4 INCHES OF PACKING AROUND THE
>>MONITOR. OUR ITEMS GET TO YOU IN ONE PIECE."
>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5213483656&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
>>
>>I've emailed the seller & sent him a pic too but haven't heard from
>>him yet. The monitor was well wrapped in bubblewrap but there
>>certainly was nowhere near enough polystyrene for the huge box the
>>monitor came in - when I opened it up the monitor was lying on one
>>side of the box & the polystyrene was piled up on the other.
>

>Then it was improperly packed. Seller can't just throw a
>part into a box then claim you're SOL if you didn't insure
>it, as even WITH shipper's insurance the packing job
>would've voided that insurance.

I've now heard from the seller & he is of the opinion that it isn't
transit damage. I'll have to make sure its properly packed when I send
it back though!

--

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:47:39 GMT, "Blackthorn" <nenagh_uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message

>>>He seemed quite genuine in emails before I bought the monitor -
>>>although he did state how well it would be packaged!
>>

>> Did you look VERY closely at the ebay picture(s)?
>>
>> I could be wrong but the marks look more like someone used
>> small motions trying to clean it improperly than packing
>> problems.
>
>It looks like the seller sells monitors regurarly and it is therefore quite
>likely that he uses the same picture for all monitors of the same type.

Yes he does & he has several people working for him when its busy.
I've put in a complaint to ebay but have now heard from the seller. I
replied but nothing since - dunno whether to return the unit or wait
til I hear from ebay.

--

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:22:28 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:16:40 +0100, John Latter wrote:
>
>> I was offered the option of insuring and I decided not to because the
>> ebay page said:
>>
>> "ALL MONITORS ARE PACKED WITH AT LEAST 4 INCHES OF PACKING AROUND THE
>> MONITOR. OUR ITEMS GET TO YOU IN ONE PIECE."
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5213483656&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
>>
>> I've emailed the seller & sent him a pic too but haven't heard from
>> him yet. The monitor was well wrapped in bubblewrap but there
>> certainly was nowhere near enough polystyrene for the huge box the
>> monitor came in - when I opened it up the monitor was lying on one
>> side of the box & the polystyrene was piled up on the other.
>
>Bummer, John.
>
>I've used a little bit of rubbing alcohol to remove stubborn smudges on CRT
>screens. You might give that a try. However, from the photo, I have to
>agree with others: it looks like the reflective coating has been scuffed. I
>don't know of any way to "undo" that. Sorry.

It does look like the anti-glare screen to me too - & I got the real
thing to look at :)

Mind you, I didn't even know anti-glare coatings existed before now!

I've replied to one email from the seller but he hasn't answered it.
I've put in a complaint to ebay which I know he has replied to so I'm
waiting at the moment - uncertain whether to send the monitor back or
not.