Change graphic card

He there,

what is the general procedure to change
the graphic card on a winxp home sp2 system?

Right now i use a diamond Viper PCI and want
to upgrade to an ATI Radeon X700SE PCI Express.

I remember some years ago, when i changed a card
on a win98 system the installation was damaged
after booting with the new card because i did
not switch to a standard graphic card driver before
changing the cards.

Do i have to do something simular under winxp
or can i just change the card and boot with the
new card?

Thanks, Peter Honka

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You should be able to uninstall the drivers for your old card, power down
remove the old and fit the new then restart. When XP boots with the new card
fitted it will initially load default VGA drivers and then you can install
your drivers for the new card.
But I'm curious, do you have a PCI express motherboard if so then the
previous procedure should work. If not then you are fitting a PCI express
motherboard also and you will need to do a repair install of XP anyway.

best of luck
Neil

"Peter Honka" <fossy@despammed.com> wrote in message
> He there,
>
> what is the general procedure to change
> the graphic card on a winxp home sp2 system?
>
> Right now i use a diamond Viper PCI and want
> to upgrade to an ATI Radeon X700SE PCI Express.
>
> I remember some years ago, when i changed a card
> on a win98 system the installation was damaged
> after booting with the new card because i did
> not switch to a standard graphic card driver before
> changing the cards.
>
> Do i have to do something simular under winxp
> or can i just change the card and boot with the
> new card?
>
> Thanks, Peter Honka

First question: Does your computer accomodate PCI Express video cards? PCIe
capability only started to be built into new computers over the last year or
so.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Peter Honka" <fossy@despammed.com> wrote in message
> He there,
>
> what is the general procedure to change
> the graphic card on a winxp home sp2 system?
>
> Right now i use a diamond Viper PCI and want
> to upgrade to an ATI Radeon X700SE PCI Express.
>
> I remember some years ago, when i changed a card
> on a win98 system the installation was damaged
> after booting with the new card because i did
> not switch to a standard graphic card driver before
> changing the cards.
>
> Do i have to do something simular under winxp
> or can i just change the card and boot with the
> new card?
>
> Thanks, Peter Honka

Dear Neil,

thanks for your answer.

> You should be able to uninstall the drivers for your old card, power down
> remove the old and fit the new then restart. When XP boots with the new card
> fitted it will initially load default VGA drivers and then you can install
> your drivers for the new card.
> But I'm curious, do you have a PCI express motherboard if so then the
> previous procedure should work. If not then you are fitting a PCI express
> motherboard also and you will need to do a repair install of XP anyway.

Mh, i do not understand exactly what you mean.

When i bought the PC a PCI Express Radeon X600
was built in but it was broken after a few weeks
and a replaced it with my old PCI Diamond Viper.

so, i guess, i have a PCI express motherboard, do I?

Regards
Peter Honka

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If your PC came with a PCI express video card then all you do is what I said
below with regard to uninstalling the old drivers first. Just be sure your
have a 16XPCI express slot before you go to the expense of buying a PCI
express video card.

Ted Zieglar schrieb:
> First question: Does your computer accomodate PCI Express video cards? PCIe
> capability only started to be built into new computers over the last year or
> so.

yes, it does - the computer is 6 month old
and was shiped with a pci express graphic card

regards
peter honka

dl

The 'general procedure' is to follow the instructions with your new vid.card

"Peter Honka" <fossy@despammed.com> wrote in message
> He there,
>
> what is the general procedure to change
> the graphic card on a winxp home sp2 system?
>
> Right now i use a diamond Viper PCI and want
> to upgrade to an ATI Radeon X700SE PCI Express.
>
> I remember some years ago, when i changed a card
> on a win98 system the installation was damaged
> after booting with the new card because i did
> not switch to a standard graphic card driver before
> changing the cards.
>
> Do i have to do something simular under winxp
> or can i just change the card and boot with the
> new card?
>
> Thanks, Peter Honka

PCI express? Is a sort-of PCI-equivalend to AGP?

Never heard of it before.

> First question: Does your computer accomodate PCI Express video cards?
> PCIe
> capability only started to be built into new computers over the last year
> or
> so.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Peter Honka" <fossy@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> He there,
>>
>> what is the general procedure to change
>> the graphic card on a winxp home sp2 system?
>>
>> Right now i use a diamond Viper PCI and want
>> to upgrade to an ATI Radeon X700SE PCI Express.
>>
>> I remember some years ago, when i changed a card
>> on a win98 system the installation was damaged
>> after booting with the new card because i did
>> not switch to a standard graphic card driver before
>> changing the cards.
>>
>> Do i have to do something simular under winxp
>> or can i just change the card and boot with the
>> new card?
>>
>> Thanks, Peter Honka

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

PCI express is the new architecture for motherboards its not an equivalent
to AGP but replaces the way that processor, memory, hard drive and plug-in
cards communicate with each other.
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/pcie.ars/1

Neil