Clocking amd athlon 2400+ xp

I am running an AMD athlon xp 2400+ at 2 GHz on an ASUSTek a7n8x-x mainboard
but have been told i can get it up to 2.5 - 2.8 GHz is this true and if so
how do i go about it?

If it's a regular desktop XP 2400+ then I bet you could squeeze 2.2 -
2.3 ghz out of it, with good air cooling. But I think 2.5 - 2.8 ghz
would be out of the question for a desktop 2400+, unless an extreme
cooling setup was used.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 05:13:02 GMT, "Tony Power"
<big.tiggs1@bigpond.com> wrote:

>I am running an AMD athlon xp 2400+ at 2 GHz on an ASUSTek a7n8x-x mainboard
>but have been told i can get it up to 2.5 - 2.8 GHz is this true and if so
>how do i go about it?

so how do i go about getting it to go to 2.2 ghz ?

"zmike6" <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If it's a regular desktop XP 2400+ then I bet you could squeeze 2.2 -
> 2.3 ghz out of it, with good air cooling. But I think 2.5 - 2.8 ghz
> would be out of the question for a desktop 2400+, unless an extreme
> cooling setup was used.
>

> On Sat, 29 May 2004 05:13:02 GMT, "Tony Power"
> <big.tiggs1@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> >I am running an AMD athlon xp 2400+ at 2 GHz on an ASUSTek a7n8x-x
mainboard
> >but have been told i can get it up to 2.5 - 2.8 GHz is this true and if
so
> >how do i go about it?

bill

In article <d9Wtc.15975$L.13371@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, big.tiggs1
@bigpond.com says...
> so how do i go about getting it to go to 2.2 ghz ?

<snip>

200FSB x 11 multiplier. Simple.

Bill

On Sat, 29 May 2004 05:13:02 +0000, Tony Power wrote:

> I am running an AMD athlon xp 2400+ at 2 GHz on an ASUSTek a7n8x-x mainboard
> but have been told i can get it up to 2.5 - 2.8 GHz is this true and if so
> how do i go about it?

Multiplier times FSB clockpeed = CPU speed. You should be able to figure
it out from there. If not, leave it alone.

Depends on your setup. If your CPU was made before week 39 2003 you will be
able to go into the bios and select a higher multiplier. The default for the
XP2400+ is 15x, so you could try 15.5 or 16. Each 0.5 increase in multiplier
will wield a 66MHz increase in clock speed.
If the CPU is newer then changing the multiplier won't work because the CPU
is 'locked'. You can still overclock but you need to do it by increasing the
Front Side Bus (FSB) speed. Again go into the bios, the standard FSB is
133MHz (266DDR) increase it in small steps, a 10MHz increase will give a
150MHz increase in clock speed. When you increase the FSB you also make the
memory run faster...this can be both good and bad; good because it gives
better memory performance, bad because the memory may become unstable at the
higher speed. You can also overclock the FSB from windows using some thing
like NVsystemutility or Clockgen.
How far you can go depends on many things such as the quality of your CPU,
how good your cooling is and the performance of your memory. To get a few
more MHz out of the chip you can increase the core voltage, 1.65V is
default, 1.75 is a safe place to work at...However when increasing voltage
keep an eye on your cpu temperature.
To test if the system is stable at the new overclocked speed try running
Prime95 torture test. any errors in prime means you have gone to far or you
need some more volts.

"Tony Power" <big.tiggs1@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> so how do i go about getting it to go to 2.2 ghz ?
>
> "zmike6" <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > If it's a regular desktop XP 2400+ then I bet you could squeeze 2.2 -
> > 2.3 ghz out of it, with good air cooling. But I think 2.5 - 2.8 ghz
> > would be out of the question for a desktop 2400+, unless an extreme
> > cooling setup was used.
> >

> > On Sat, 29 May 2004 05:13:02 GMT, "Tony Power"
> > <big.tiggs1@bigpond.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I am running an AMD athlon xp 2400+ at 2 GHz on an ASUSTek a7n8x-x
> mainboard
> > >but have been told i can get it up to 2.5 - 2.8 GHz is this true and if
> so
> > >how do i go about it?

yellowbeard

Due to limitations of my MB (ECS K7S5A) running a modified bios (Cheapoman)
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=35;DaysPrune=30
I set it at 147fsb and get 2.2ghz. Prime 95 runs with no errors and the
system is snappy.
YB

"Tony Power" <big.tiggs1@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> so how do i go about getting it to go to 2.2 ghz ?
>
> "zmike6" <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > If it's a regular desktop XP 2400+ then I bet you could squeeze 2.2 -
> > 2.3 ghz out of it, with good air cooling. But I think 2.5 - 2.8 ghz
> > would be out of the question for a desktop 2400+, unless an extreme
> > cooling setup was used.
> >

> > On Sat, 29 May 2004 05:13:02 GMT, "Tony Power"
> > <big.tiggs1@bigpond.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I am running an AMD athlon xp 2400+ at 2 GHz on an ASUSTek a7n8x-x
> mainboard
> > >but have been told i can get it up to 2.5 - 2.8 GHz is this true and if
> so
> > >how do i go about it?

Robert

if your overclocking like that, you,ll want to have a copper heat sink. I
also heard that you could overclock because all these 2400, 2500, 2600 were
really 3200. but when you see the 60 degrere temps at idle. you'll know its
not true. do yourself a favor and go buy a really good video card. there
arn't any games that requie much more than 1.5 ghz any ways.

Not wanting to be difficult, but I have an XP2400 week 49 03 that is
unlocked and can do 23 x 100 or 17 x 166 (don't have a newer board) I think
the perpetuation of locked procs started with everyone discovering the
bartons were locked at 39 03 and we then broad brushed the complete line.

Regards,

Garry

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Depends on your setup. If your CPU was made before week 39 2003 you will
> be
> able to go into the bios and select a higher multiplier. The default for
> the
> XP2400+ is 15x, so you could try 15.5 or 16. Each 0.5 increase in
> multiplier
> will wield a 66MHz increase in clock speed.
> If the CPU is newer then changing the multiplier won't work because the
> CPU
> is 'locked'. You can still overclock but you need to do it by increasing
> the
> Front Side Bus (FSB) speed. Again go into the bios, the standard FSB is
> 133MHz (266DDR) increase it in small steps, a 10MHz increase will give a
> 150MHz increase in clock speed. When you increase the FSB you also make
> the
> memory run faster...this can be both good and bad; good because it gives
> better memory performance, bad because the memory may become unstable at
> the
> higher speed. You can also overclock the FSB from windows using some thing
> like NVsystemutility or Clockgen.
> How far you can go depends on many things such as the quality of your CPU,
> how good your cooling is and the performance of your memory. To get a few
> more MHz out of the chip you can increase the core voltage, 1.65V is
> default, 1.75 is a safe place to work at...However when increasing voltage
> keep an eye on your cpu temperature.
> To test if the system is stable at the new overclocked speed try running
> Prime95 torture test. any errors in prime means you have gone to far or
> you
> need some more volts.
>

> --
> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> "Tony Power" <big.tiggs1@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> so how do i go about getting it to go to 2.2 ghz ?
>>
>> "zmike6" <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > If it's a regular desktop XP 2400+ then I bet you could squeeze 2.2 -
>> > 2.3 ghz out of it, with good air cooling. But I think 2.5 - 2.8 ghz
>> > would be out of the question for a desktop 2400+, unless an extreme
>> > cooling setup was used.

>> mainboard
>> so

ROFLMAO

Garry

On Sun, 30 May 2004 04:08:49 +0000, iTsMeMa wrote:

> Not wanting to be difficult, but I have an XP2400 week 49 03 that is
> unlocked and can do 23 x 100 or 17 x 166 (don't have a newer board) I think
> the perpetuation of locked procs started with everyone discovering the
> bartons were locked at 39 03 and we then broad brushed the complete line.

That's possible, I've heard of a few that were unlocked after 0339, but I
wouldn't count on it. I think you meant 17x133 or you've got an
exceptional chip.

My bad, 17 X133 was meant.
Great catch!

> On Sun, 30 May 2004 04:08:49 +0000, iTsMeMa wrote:
>
>> Not wanting to be difficult, but I have an XP2400 week 49 03 that is
>> unlocked and can do 23 x 100 or 17 x 166 (don't have a newer board) I
>> think
>> the perpetuation of locked procs started with everyone discovering the
>> bartons were locked at 39 03 and we then broad brushed the complete line.
>>
> That's possible, I've heard of a few that were unlocked after 0339, but I
> wouldn't count on it. I think you meant 17x133 or you've got an
> exceptional chip.

ozone

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

"Robert" <rvanss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> if your overclocking like that, you,ll want to have a copper heat sink. I
> also heard that you could overclock because all these 2400, 2500, 2600
were
> really 3200. but when you see the 60 degrere temps at idle. you'll know
its
> not true. do yourself a favor and go buy a really good video card. there
> arn't any games that requie much more than 1.5 ghz any ways.

Bettr look again Bobby...BFV requires a 2ghz CPU and 512 Ram.
60C Idle for a 3200+ Speed???
Funny my 2100+ was idle at 32/36c and loaded max of 50c @ 2200Mhz
Barton Mobile @ 2300Mhz idles same.....could it be using the same Vcore for
both and same heatsink might keep my system in decent ranges....Yea I think
maybe it is.
OZoNE

I have my 2400+ running at 2250 (13.5 X 166) with a idol temp of 40c - 42c
depending on the temp of the room.

Daniel

went into bios where multiplier is stated as "7.0x/15.0x", and 15.0x is the
highest multiplier there is in the menu, what is the deal with 7.0x aswell
as 15.0x in the same selection.

was able to get FSB to 152 and Vcore 1.725 and load into windows but after a
few minutes windows shuts down and goes to a warning screen with some
warnings about memory, cpu temp acording to bios was 52C but in asusprob in
windows showed no higher than 45C before giving the above mesage! am able to
run stable system with FSB at 143, what dose it all mean??
help me please

big.tiggs

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 07:46:02 +0000, Tony Power wrote:

> went into bios where multiplier is stated as "7.0x/15.0x", and 15.0x is the
> highest multiplier there is in the menu, what is the deal with 7.0x aswell
> as 15.0x in the same selection.

If you have a cpu with a default multiplier of 13 or higher (meaning the
8x multiplier bit is set on the cpu) then the 7/15 setting would be 15,
not 7 for that cpu. If the 8x bit isn't set (12.5 or lower default) then
the value would be 7x. This is a clear indication that your board doesn't
support changing the 8x (5th) multiplier bit.

> was able to get FSB to 152 and Vcore 1.725 and load into windows but
> after a few minutes windows shuts down and goes to a warning screen with
> some warnings about memory, cpu temp acording to bios was 52C but in
> asusprob in windows showed no higher than 45C before giving the above
> mesage! am able to run stable system with FSB at 143, what dose it all
> mean?? help me please

At 152MHz for the FSB, you've overclocked the PCI bus to about 38MHz and
the AGP bus to qabout 76MHz from the nominal of 33/66. This assumes you
don't have a PCI lock. You've probably also overclocked the ram bus by
it's current setting plus 19MHz (152-133). That could be the problem
depending on how fast your ram is.

Midnight wrote:
> I have my 2400+ running at 2250 (13.5 X 166) with a idol temp of 40c
> - 42c depending on the temp of the room.

And my 1800+ at 2.1Ghz (10.5 x 200) idles at around 32°, or around 12°
hotter than the room. Standard HSF, ducted 80mm case fan blowing
outside-case air to the HSF via a cut-off plastic cup. :) Under full load
(SETI + Prime95) it climbs to 50°C, maybe a little higher. (48° at the
moment running SETI CLI in the background, 100% CPU usage).

Benchmark-wise it blows stock XP2500+ Bartons out of the water.
--
~misfit~

---