Athlon 64 memory selection

Dmo

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hi group,

I've been away from the hardware scene for a while, but I've decided to get
myself a Shuttle SN85G4 XPC system, and an Athlon 64 3200.

I'm completely lost about what sort of memory I need to use. According to a
review of this system at http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=537 it's
possible to run an Athlon 64 3200 at a FSB of 220MHz on this Shuttle system.

Can anyone recommend the memory solution to use, and an etailer in the UK
where I can buy it?

dmo wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I've been away from the hardware scene for a while, but I've decided to get
> myself a Shuttle SN85G4 XPC system, and an Athlon 64 3200.
>
> I'm completely lost about what sort of memory I need to use. According to a
> review of this system at http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=537 it's
> possible to run an Athlon 64 3200 at a FSB of 220MHz on this Shuttle system.
>
> Can anyone recommend the memory solution to use, and an etailer in the UK
> where I can buy it?
>
> You should have gotten a manual and the manual WILL tell you what kind of
memory is recommended. Check their site if you don't have one.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:17:09 +0100, dmo wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I've been away from the hardware scene for a while, but I've decided to get
> myself a Shuttle SN85G4 XPC system, and an Athlon 64 3200.
>
> I'm completely lost about what sort of memory I need to use. According to a
> review of this system at http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=537 it's
> possible to run an Athlon 64 3200 at a FSB of 220MHz on this Shuttle system.
>
> Can anyone recommend the memory solution to use, and an etailer in the UK
> where I can buy it?

Standard PC3700 or faster if you want to evoerclock. Otherwise PC3200
*should work*.

I haven't heard of any compatibility problems with memory and A64's as the
memory controller is on the chip itself. The only consideration that I've
seen is that some "high performance" ram requires more than the standard
2.50v to run at the rated speeds. If the memory voltage can be adjust on
the motherboard you shouldn't have a problem with any memory.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:17:09 +0100, dmo wrote:
>
> > Hi group,
> >
> > I've been away from the hardware scene for a while, but I've decided to
get
> > myself a Shuttle SN85G4 XPC system, and an Athlon 64 3200.
> >
> > I'm completely lost about what sort of memory I need to use. According
to a
> > review of this system at http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=537
it's
> > possible to run an Athlon 64 3200 at a FSB of 220MHz on this Shuttle
system.

> > Can anyone recommend the memory solution to use, and an etailer in the
UK
> > where I can buy it?
>
> Standard PC3700 or faster if you want to evoerclock. Otherwise PC3200
> *should work*.

---

Dmo

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote

> Standard PC3700 or faster if you want to evoerclock. Otherwise PC3200
> *should work*.

Could someone clear up a confusion for me?

It's my understanding that the Athlon 64 can work with 1 memory module, and
doesn't require a pair of modules.

Yet every time I read an Athlon 64 machine review, it uses a pair of
modules. Is there some benefit from using 2 instead of 1?

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote

> Standard PC3700 or faster if you want to evoerclock. Otherwise PC3200
> *should work*.

Could someone clear up a confusion for me?

It's my understanding that the Athlon 64 can work with 1 memory module, and
doesn't require a pair of modules.

>Yet every time I read an Athlon 64 machine review, it uses a pair of
>modules. Is there some benefit from using 2 instead of 1?

The memory controller is in the CPU,the Athlon 64 is single channel meaning
it will use only one stick at the time but can use more than one stick total.
The FX is dual channel meaning it will use both sticks at the same time ,like
raid O but i prety sure it will still work with only one stick installed. DOUG

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:51:18 +0100, dmo wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>
>> Standard PC3700 or faster if you want to evoerclock. Otherwise PC3200
>> *should work*.
>
> Could someone clear up a confusion for me?
>
> It's my understanding that the Athlon 64 can work with 1 memory module, and
> doesn't require a pair of modules.

That is correct. (Unless it's an FX. It needs 2)

> Yet every time I read an Athlon 64 machine review, it uses a pair of
> modules. Is there some benefit from using 2 instead of 1?

No. I suppose they use 2 just to keep the same amount of ram for boards
that do require 2 modules like the socket 940 boards.

The Athlon64 (socket 754) have a single memory controller built into the
chip so dual channel memory (i.e. two sticks of ram) offers zero performance
advantage. Like Wes said the Opteron/Athlon FX (socket 940) requires ECC
and has a dual memory controller built into the chip, hence the need for two
sticks of ram. The very soon to be released Athlon 64 (socket 939) will be
similar to the socket 940 CPU's with the exception of the memory type.
Socket 939 will not require ECC memory.

"dmo" <nobody@abcd9876.com> wrote in message
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>
> > Standard PC3700 or faster if you want to evoerclock. Otherwise PC3200
> > *should work*.
>
> Could someone clear up a confusion for me?
>
> It's my understanding that the Athlon 64 can work with 1 memory module,
and
> doesn't require a pair of modules.
>
> Yet every time I read an Athlon 64 machine review, it uses a pair of
> modules. Is there some benefit from using 2 instead of 1?

---

The Athlon64 (socket 754) have a single memory controller built into the
chip so dual channel memory (i.e. two sticks of ram) offers zero performance
advantage. Like Wes said the Opteron/Athlon FX (socket 940) requires ECC
and has a dual memory controller built into the chip, hence the need for two
sticks of ram. The very soon to be released Athlon 64 (socket 939) will be
similar to the socket 940 CPU's with the exception of the memory type.
Socket 939 will not require ECC memory.

"dmo" <nobody@abcd9876.com> wrote in message
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>
> > Standard PC3700 or faster if you want to evoerclock. Otherwise PC3200
> > *should work*.
>
> Could someone clear up a confusion for me?
>
> It's my understanding that the Athlon 64 can work with 1 memory module,
and
> doesn't require a pair of modules.
>
> Yet every time I read an Athlon 64 machine review, it uses a pair of
> modules. Is there some benefit from using 2 instead of 1?

---

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:51:18 +0100, "dmo" <nobody@abcd9876.com> wrote:

>"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>
>> Standard PC3700 or faster if you want to evoerclock. Otherwise PC3200
>> *should work*.
>
>Could someone clear up a confusion for me?
>
>It's my understanding that the Athlon 64 can work with 1 memory module, and
>doesn't require a pair of modules.
>
>Yet every time I read an Athlon 64 machine review, it uses a pair of
>modules. Is there some benefit from using 2 instead of 1?

Sure. 1Gig vesus 512M. You'd see 2Gig, but the gig sticks are
expensive.

I loaded the operating system with one stick installed, then tested
for seven hours with prime95 after adding the second stick. Wasn't a
problem, worked great. Also tests your cpu for temp at load.