Prescott Heatsinks the Size of Small Elephants !

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247

Anyone know a link where you can buy these ?

rms
27 answers Last reply
More about prescott heatsinks size small elephants
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    The bottom one looks like a modded Thermaltake heatpipe.

    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4717&Category_Code=5.50

    "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    >
    > Anyone know a link where you can buy these ?
    >
    > rms

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    rms wrote:

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    >
    > Anyone know a link where you can buy these ?
    >
    > rms

    hoover.com
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4717&Category_Code=5.50

    Can anyone say how high the fan box is off the CPU?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    liggyman wrote:

    > The bottom one looks like a modded Thermaltake heatpipe.
    >
    > http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4717&Category_Code=5.50

    At the very least it's the same idea.

    This one looks like they've also got the northbridge in there too, though.
    Notice the second set of heatpipes in the front?

    > "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    >>
    >>Anyone know a link where you can buy these ?
    >>
    >>rms

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Winey wrote:

    > http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4717&Category_Code=5.50
    >

    > Can anyone say how high the fan box is off the CPU?

    I 'suspect' the 138mm "heatsink" dimension is the overall height but
    Thermaltake doesn't make it entirely clear. But, considering that a 90mm
    fan is 90mm on a side, it looks about right from the picture. I.E. a little
    less than 'half a fan height' from the base to the bottom of the fan plus
    some excess heatpipe above it.

    You may want to do some research at both pricewatch, to get the best price,
    and thermaltake because they have more than one. In particular, if you go
    to their DIY section they have the same thing (although the dimension says
    145.5mm instead of 138mm), sans fan, made in all copper.

    http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/comboCool/cl-p0024tower112/cl-p0024tower112.htm

    These folks

    http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=167_632_636&products_id=3743

    carry it for $49.99.

    Thermaltake shows the aluminum version in a DIY kit too but I haven't found
    anyone who carries that one.

    I guess these would put you in the "small elephant" heatsink class ;)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Try your local joke shop

    rms wrote:
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    >
    > Anyone know a link where you can buy these ?
    >
    > rms

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:00:01 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    wrote:

    >Winey wrote:
    >

    >Thermaltake shows the aluminum version in a DIY kit too but I haven't found
    >anyone who carries that one.
    >
    >I guess these would put you in the "small elephant" heatsink class ;)

    Dunno about small elephant, but the size of an engine for a
    quarter-scale Boeing 747?

    Now, imagine that you have a dual-CPU board with two of these monsters
    doing the cooling.

    I'm intrigued by this design, but I'm holding on to my euros and my
    dollars until after some of the hobby site review this beast.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Dave.G" <DaveG@h.ome> wrote in message
    > Try your local joke shop
    >
    > rms wrote:
    > > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247

    I would say that's a joke..
    It looks like it's just a plastic fan housing to me (nothing heavy)
    U can see a 80x80 on the back and heatpipes coming up the middle.. but
    nothing really heavy at all.

    I cant see anything like this ever coming to market BUT it could be real
    (like something to give great flow and added turb over the heat spreader).
    But anyhow.. never know
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    rstlne wrote:

    > "Dave.G" <DaveG@h.ome> wrote in message
    >
    >>Try your local joke shop
    >>
    >>rms wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    >

    > I would say that's a joke..
    > It looks like it's just a plastic fan housing to me (nothing heavy)
    > U can see a 80x80 on the back and heatpipes coming up the middle.. but
    > nothing really heavy at all.

    You didn't look close enough then because a pair of internal heatsinks are
    visible through the upper housing and nice bright copper shines through the
    front fan blades.

    Ideal would be if that rear fan housing lined up with the case's rear fan
    mount for direct exhaust.

    > I cant see anything like this ever coming to market BUT it could be real
    > (like something to give great flow and added turb over the heat spreader).
    > But anyhow.. never know

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    http://www.rolls-royce.com/civil_aerospace/products/airlines/trent1000/engine.jsp

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    >
    > Anyone know a link where you can buy these ?
    >
    > rms

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Click on Thermaltake web site in the middle of the page.

    --

    "Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message

    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4717&Category_Code=5.50

    > Can anyone say how high the fan box is off the CPU?

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Click on 'Thermaltake web site' in the middle of the page.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,
    replace "at" with the 'at sign'
    replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
    replace "dot" with "."

    "Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message

    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4717&Category_Code=5.50

    > Can anyone say how high the fan box is off the CPU?

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Winey wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:00:01 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Winey wrote:
    >>

    >>Thermaltake shows the aluminum version in a DIY kit too but I haven't found
    >>anyone who carries that one.
    >>
    >>I guess these would put you in the "small elephant" heatsink class ;)
    >

    > Dunno about small elephant, but the size of an engine for a
    > quarter-scale Boeing 747?

    But at 21 db it's certainly not 1/4 scale noise though.

    > Now, imagine that you have a dual-CPU board with two of these monsters
    > doing the cooling.
    >
    > I'm intrigued by this design, but I'm holding on to my euros and my
    > dollars until after some of the hobby site review this beast.

    The thermaltake design? There are reviews. Here's one:

    http://hi-techreviews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=42

    Should note that the point to the "silent tower," as the one you were
    looking at on the bigfoot site is called, is to be quiet and not
    necessarily the 'coolest' solution.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > You didn't look close enough then because a pair of internal heatsinks are
    > visible

    Yes, I'm wondering if this is a dual-cpu board? Is it an Intel-cpu
    board at all? The visible chipset appears to be a VIA southbridge, maybe
    for a 754 board.

    rms
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    rms wrote:

    >>You didn't look close enough then because a pair of internal heatsinks are
    >>visible
    >

    > Yes, I'm wondering if this is a dual-cpu board? Is it an Intel-cpu
    > board at all? The visible chipset appears to be a VIA southbridge, maybe
    > for a 754 board.
    >
    > rms

    The processor heatsink section, what little is visible, resembles, as
    someone else also noted, the thermaltake heatpipe tower. I can't tell if
    that's 'two separate' fin assemblies for the processor set of thermal pipes
    or if it's simple cut in a bit at the middle like the thermaltake is.

    http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/comboCool/cl-p0024tower112/cl-p0024tower112.htm

    And, just guessing but, the front pipes look to me like they're on the
    northbridge.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    > rstlne wrote:
    >
    > > "Dave.G" <DaveG@h.ome> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Try your local joke shop

    > > I would say that's a joke..
    > > It looks like it's just a plastic fan housing to me (nothing heavy)
    > > U can see a 80x80 on the back and heatpipes coming up the middle.. but
    > > nothing really heavy at all.
    >
    > You didn't look close enough then because a pair of internal heatsinks are
    > visible through the upper housing and nice bright copper shines through
    the
    > front fan blades.
    >
    > Ideal would be if that rear fan housing lined up with the case's rear fan
    > mount for direct exhaust.

    Impossible - there are many different case config.s.
    But there's nowt to stop you using a duct.

    > > I cant see anything like this ever coming to market BUT it could be real
    > > (like something to give great flow and added turb over the heat
    spreader).
    > > But anyhow.. never know

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Scumball wrote:

    > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>rstlne wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Dave.G" <DaveG@h.ome> wrote in message

    >>>I would say that's a joke..
    >>>It looks like it's just a plastic fan housing to me (nothing heavy)
    >>>U can see a 80x80 on the back and heatpipes coming up the middle.. but
    >>>nothing really heavy at all.
    >>
    >>You didn't look close enough then because a pair of internal heatsinks are
    >>visible through the upper housing and nice bright copper shines through
    >
    > the
    >
    >>front fan blades.
    >>
    >>Ideal would be if that rear fan housing lined up with the case's rear fan
    >>mount for direct exhaust.
    >

    > Impossible - there are many different case config.s.

    I am aware of that but that doesn't mean they couldn't team up with a
    clever case manufacturer to offer a complete package.

    > But there's nowt to stop you using a duct.

    Bends reduce the airflow.

    >>>I cant see anything like this ever coming to market BUT it could be real
    >>>(like something to give great flow and added turb over the heat
    >
    > spreader).
    >
    >>>But anyhow.. never know

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 01:53:20 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    wrote:

    >Winey wrote:

    >> On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:00:01 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Winey wrote:

    >>>Thermaltake shows the aluminum version in a DIY kit too but I haven't found
    >>>anyone who carries that one.

    >>>I guess these would put you in the "small elephant" heatsink class ;)

    >> Dunno about small elephant, but the size of an engine for a
    >> quarter-scale Boeing 747?

    >But at 21 db it's certainly not 1/4 scale noise though.

    >> Now, imagine that you have a dual-CPU board with two of these monsters
    >> doing the cooling.

    >> I'm intrigued by this design, but I'm holding on to my euros and my
    >> dollars until after some of the hobby site review this beast.

    >The thermaltake design? There are reviews. Here's one:

    >http://hi-techreviews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=42

    >Should note that the point to the "silent tower," as the one you were
    >looking at on the bigfoot site is called, is to be quiet and not
    >necessarily the 'coolest' solution.

    Can't find any reviews reference the orientation, anyone seen figures
    on desktop [ vertical ] - versus - [ horizontal orientation ] tower
    use ?

    BoroLad
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 01:53:20 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Winey wrote:

    >>>Dunno about small elephant, but the size of an engine for a
    >>>quarter-scale Boeing 747?
    >

    >>But at 21 db it's certainly not 1/4 scale noise though.
    >

    >>>Now, imagine that you have a dual-CPU board with two of these monsters
    >>>doing the cooling.
    >

    >>>I'm intrigued by this design, but I'm holding on to my euros and my
    >>>dollars until after some of the hobby site review this beast.
    >

    >>The thermaltake design? There are reviews. Here's one:
    >

    >>http://hi-techreviews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=42
    >

    >>Should note that the point to the "silent tower," as the one you were
    >>looking at on the bigfoot site is called, is to be quiet and not
    >>necessarily the 'coolest' solution.
    >

    > Can't find any reviews reference the orientation, anyone seen figures
    > on desktop [ vertical ] - versus - [ horizontal orientation ] tower
    > use ?
    >
    > BoroLad

    Well, I don't see any that 'discuss' it either but I'd be stunned beyond
    description if it didn't work in a tower case, seeing as how that's the
    vast majority of the market, and it's a slam dunk no problem in a desktop,
    from an orientation standpoint that is.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:38:35 +0000, rms wrote:

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    >
    > Anyone know a link where you can buy these ?
    >
    > rms

    ROFL :-) sorry can't help you ...

    anyway, my Zalman cooler looks a bit smaller now I'v seen this :-)

    Jurgen
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 05:03:39 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    wrote:

    >borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 01:53:20 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>>But at 21 db it's certainly not 1/4 scale noise though.

    >>>The thermaltake design? There are reviews. Here's one:

    >>>http://hi-techreviews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=42

    >>>Should note that the point to the "silent tower," as the one you were
    >>>looking at on the bigfoot site is called, is to be quiet and not
    >>>necessarily the 'coolest' solution.

    >> Can't find any reviews reference the orientation, anyone seen figures
    >> on desktop [ vertical ] - versus - [ horizontal orientation ] tower
    >> use ?

    >> BoroLad

    >Well, I don't see any that 'discuss' it either but I'd be stunned beyond
    >description if it didn't work in a tower case, seeing as how that's the

    not a given on a tower

    >vast majority of the market, and it's a slam dunk no problem in a desktop,

    desktop should / would be fine

    >from an orientation standpoint that is.

    Think heatpipe / gravity / orientation David
    BoroLad
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    >>Well, I don't see any that 'discuss' it either but I'd be stunned beyond
    >>description if it didn't work in a tower case, seeing as how that's the
    >
    >not a given on a tower
    >
    >>vast majority of the market, and it's a slam dunk no problem in a desktop,
    >
    >desktop should / would be fine
    >
    >>from an orientation standpoint that is.
    >
    >Think heatpipe / gravity / orientation David
    >BoroLad

    Sorry, that came over as short sharp and belligerent, and was not
    meant that way. Nipped home for a quick cuppa - no time !

    Heatpipe technology needs gravity to operate, and whilst Tt design
    staff are prolly excellent I will still need to see what % loss there
    is twixt the vertical & horizontal operation of the pipes.

    BoroLad
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 05:03:39 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
    > >> Think heatpipe / gravity / orientation David
    > BoroLad

    There are a few different heatpipe configurations out there that you'll need
    to consider really. The main thing to think about is "Normal" vs "Other"

    You have 3 that are not standard heatpipes, One creates a basic pressurised
    flow based on the expansion (AeroCool Dp 101 and 102).
    Some are just made so that no matter what orentitation you put the unit in
    SOME of the heatpipes will be working (it wouldnt be as good as desktop)
    Then some use the Meandering Capillary tube (ehh I think that's what it's
    called).. I did a lot of reading on the last and I think maybee it was
    called something like Akasari Heat Pipe (dont quote me).. It just loops the
    heatpipe to the heat source a few times and then connects it on both ends,
    so you get a constant flow in all directions (but pressure would remain
    constant I think). This gives for heat flow in any direction..

    I have a DP-102 (would have loved to of tried a raditor zen or Scythe
    Heatlane Zen (both use the pulshating heatpipes)) and It seems to work well
    in both directions (h & v) but I find that it's weight actually tilts it off
    of the processor when the tower is stood upright (I can apply pressure with
    my fingers and I find that the temps are the same)
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 05:03:39 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:

    >>>Can't find any reviews reference the orientation, anyone seen figures
    >>>on desktop [ vertical ] - versus - [ horizontal orientation ] tower
    >>>use ?
    >

    >>>BoroLad
    >

    >>Well, I don't see any that 'discuss' it either but I'd be stunned beyond
    >>description if it didn't work in a tower case, seeing as how that's the
    >

    > not a given on a tower

    I think it IS a 'given' for a consumer product, which was my point.

    >>vast majority of the market, and it's a slam dunk no problem in a desktop,
    >

    > desktop should / would be fine
    >
    >>from an orientation standpoint that is.
    >
    > Think heatpipe / gravity / orientation David

    A proper heatpipe also has a wick and is not dependent on gravity to
    operate. Now, putting the dern thing upside down would be a problem, since
    you'd be fighting 100% against gravity, but not horizontal.

    > BoroLad
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:

    >>>Well, I don't see any that 'discuss' it either but I'd be stunned beyond
    >>>description if it didn't work in a tower case, seeing as how that's the
    >>
    >>not a given on a tower
    >>

    >>>vast majority of the market, and it's a slam dunk no problem in a desktop,
    >>
    >>desktop should / would be fine
    >>
    >>>from an orientation standpoint that is.
    >>
    >>Think heatpipe / gravity / orientation David
    >>BoroLad
    >

    > Sorry, that came over as short sharp and belligerent, and was not
    > meant that way. Nipped home for a quick cuppa - no time !

    It did, a little, but no problem.

    > Heatpipe technology needs gravity to operate, and whilst Tt design
    > staff are prolly excellent I will still need to see what % loss there
    > is twixt the vertical & horizontal operation of the pipes.

    Except that, while one can make a simplified heatpipe using gravity as the
    return mechanism (more appropriately called a thermosyphon in that case),
    heatpipes do not 'need' gravity to operate because a wick is used as the
    return mechanism.

    Here's a nice little summary of conventional heatpipe design.

    http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml

    And one which talks about the thermosyphon vs a heatpipe.

    http://www.modares.ac.ir/elearning/Sadramel/IHRS/files/Chap3-3-heatpipes.pps
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    #
    >> BoroLad

    >There are a few different heatpipe configurations out there that you'll need
    >to consider really. The main thing to think about is "Normal" vs "Other"

    >You have 3 that are not standard heatpipes, One creates a basic pressurised
    >flow based on the expansion (AeroCool Dp 101 and 102).
    >Some are just made so that no matter what orentitation you put the unit in
    >SOME of the heatpipes will be working (it wouldnt be as good as desktop)
    >Then some use the Meandering Capillary tube (ehh I think that's what it's
    >called).. I did a lot of reading on the last and I think maybee it was
    >called something like Akasari Heat Pipe (dont quote me).. It just loops the
    >heatpipe to the heat source a few times and then connects it on both ends,
    >so you get a constant flow in all directions (but pressure would remain
    >constant I think). This gives for heat flow in any direction..

    >I have a DP-102 (would have loved to of tried a raditor zen or Scythe
    >Heatlane Zen (both use the pulshating heatpipes)) and It seems to work well
    >in both directions (h & v) but I find that it's weight actually tilts it off
    >of the processor when the tower is stood upright (I can apply pressure with
    >my fingers and I find that the temps are the same)

    Just in from work, thanks for the info I'll have a look around for
    reviews though I don't expect to see many in the next several weeks.

    Also I'll look at the 3 variables you mention, Regards - BoroLad
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > Yes, I'm wondering if this is a dual-cpu board? Is it an Intel-cpu
    > board at all? The visible chipset appears to be a VIA southbridge, maybe
    > for a 754 board.

    its an Asus K8V...... Socket 754 board.... :-)

    --
    ______
    From Adam Webb,

    > > You didn't look close enough then because a pair of internal heatsinks
    are
    > > visible
    >

    > rms

AMD Overclocking Hardware Heatsinks Product