Wireless Network Drops Frequently

I have a problem after, I have installed SP2. The wireless network connection
on my device drops regularly. Even, I tried installing neww driver. But, the
problem is with accquiring IP address. It says , that its qccquiring IP
address after the connection drops and then it is automatically connected
again.

Do you know if the connection was dropping before installing XP SP2?

In XP SP1 the balloon pop-ups with network status were much less granular.
Instead of simply providing the end user with a notification that the client
has "connected" to the network, XP SP2 provides intermediate status. In XP
SP1 you would not have recieved a message stating "acquiring IP address"
because the balloon simply did not exist. This does not mean however that
the same condition on your client didn't exist though. The "acquiring IP
address" notification simply means that you have associated to a wireless
device, complete any security negotiation (if any), and you are waiting to
obtain a DHCP response from the network. Only after you receive a DHCP
address will the XP SP2 client then state you are "connected".

Does that answer your question?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"Sharath" <Sharath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem after, I have installed SP2. The wireless network
>connection
> on my device drops regularly. Even, I tried installing neww driver. But,
> the
> problem is with accquiring IP address. It says , that its qccquiring IP
> address after the connection drops and then it is automatically connected
> again.

Does you wireless connection employ WEP or 802.1x?

On the authentication tab of your wireless connection profile (Wireless
Neworks->Preferred networks->Properties of the connected
profile->Authentication" , is the "Enable
802.1x authentication for this network" checked or unchecked.

If you don't require 802.1x you should uncheck this checkbox.

--
Oliver
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights