Harddrive noise and heat

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 12:54:14 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Hi,

Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
both?.

I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a constant
deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor and
can be heard around the house.

Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise, Ive
found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?

Thanks for any help.

More about : harddrive noise heat

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 12:54:15 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

tighten the screws to the hard drive to case.
if you chose ATA 133 or higher , the noise gets lower, which is new
technology hard drive.

"billybronco" <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> both?.
>
> I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
> components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a
constant
> deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor
and
> can be heard around the house.
>
> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise,
Ive
> found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?
>
> Thanks for any help.

June 2, 2004 12:54:15 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Hi,
Samsung is the best bang for the buck and VERY quiet.
NewEgg has the best deals and service.
See reviews for the 160gig here
http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=...
Or the 120gig here
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
Plus Samsung has 3 year warranty.
Over the last couple of years I have changed out all my drives to Samsung.
40gig
80gig
120gig
All are very quiet and not one problem.

I have used Quantum, WestDig, Fujitsu, IBM, and Maxtor.
Samsung is the quietest I have used.
YB

"billybronco" <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> both?.
>
> I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
> components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a
constant
> deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor
and
> can be heard around the house.
>
> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise,
Ive
> found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?
>
> Thanks for any help.

a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 1:36:10 AM

Slower and smaller are quieter and generate less heat. If reducing heat
and noise is more important than performance and capacity, try a 2.5"
notebook hard drive.

From the horrendous noise problem you describe, are your sure your drives
aren't failing B^)
Also, judging from your description, placing your system case on a rubber
pad and gluing similar pads to the sides of your system cases should go a
long way toward damping the vibrations.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"billybronco" <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> both?.
>
> I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
> components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a
constant
> deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor
and
> can be heard around the house.
>
> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise,
Ive
> found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 2:34:33 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"billybronco" <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> both?.
>
> I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
> components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a
constant
> deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor
and
> can be heard around the house.
>
> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise,
Ive
> found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Well i'm using maxtor disks in my server which is on 24/7 and my desktop
which gets a lot of HDD intensive apps thrown at it. They run near-silently,
i can't hear them over my volt modded CPU and case fans, and run at 38.5
degrees.
I used to use seagate drives and they were noisier, not sure about the newer
ones though.

hamman
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 3:14:07 AM

In message <W16vc.1638$tH4.15490303@news-text.cableinet.net>,
billybronco <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> writes
>I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
>components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a constant
>deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor and
>can be heard around the house.
>
>Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise, Ive
>found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
>returns when I let go.

This sounds like its a bad mounting in the case rather than the drives
themselves.
Cheap case?
Not screwed in right?
Only one/two screws?
No rubber mounts??

Without checking, I can't be certain, but I thought the latest
barracudas were one of the quietest drives out there and are recommended
for quiet applications ??

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 3:14:08 AM

"Gareth Jones" <usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> This sounds like its a bad mounting in the case rather than the drives
> themselves.
> Cheap case?
> Not screwed in right?
> Only one/two screws?
> No rubber mounts??
>
> Without checking, I can't be certain, but I thought the latest
> barracudas were one of the quietest drives out there and are recommended
> for quiet applications ??

Thanks for all you replies. The case is an Antec 1080amg, I think its an ok
case (it cost a lot!). The hard drives are actually 2 seagate barracuda 3
ata 100 40 gb, perhaps these are a little noisier than the newer models??.

Otherwise they are screwed in tight all 4 screws, only thing I dont have is
rubber mounts, ill look into this.

thanks again everyone.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 3:14:09 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

> Thanks for all you replies. The case is an Antec 1080amg, I think its an ok
> case (it cost a lot!). The hard drives are actually 2 seagate barracuda 3
> ata 100 40 gb, perhaps these are a little noisier than the newer models??.
>
> Otherwise they are screwed in tight all 4 screws, only thing I dont have is
> rubber mounts, ill look into this.
>
> thanks again everyone.

Sometimes even if you screw them in tight, the HDD rack itself can make
noise when it vibrates, it can also make the case vibrate and make noise.

If you can get some rubber grommets and place them around the HDD
screw-holes, they reduce vibration, and stop any noise being generated
between the drive and the drive rack.

If you don't have grommets available, try some rubber washers.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 3:14:09 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"billybronco" <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> writes:
>"Gareth Jones" <usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> No rubber mounts??

>Otherwise they are screwed in tight all 4 screws, only thing I dont have is
>rubber mounts, ill look into this.

Since you mentioned noise and heat, others have said in the past that
rubber mounts cut down the conduction of heat from the drive to the
cage and this can be a substantial part of the cooling for drives,
unless you add fans and that adds more noise...
Sometimes it seems like you just can't win.
June 2, 2004 3:14:09 AM

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:43:11 GMT, "billybronco"
<ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> wrote:

>Thanks for all you replies. The case is an Antec 1080amg, I think its an ok
>case (it cost a lot!). The hard drives are actually 2 seagate barracuda 3
>ata 100 40 gb, perhaps these are a little noisier than the newer models??.
>
>Otherwise they are screwed in tight all 4 screws, only thing I dont have is
>rubber mounts, ill look into this.
>
>thanks again everyone.

I've noticed my old 60, 100 maxtor drives were dead quiet when I
bought them, but they're getting noisy three years later. Some
noticeable whine these days. These were 5400 drives, too. I used a
real old 11G maxtor to test a new system to make sure the new
components all worked, and it was horrible to listen to. xtreme whine.
I should toss it out. I thought it was quiet when I bought it compared
to an old 350M.

Currently using some 250G western digitals, and they are almost
silent. Some people complain of a very high pitched whine with them,
but mine seem to be ok or my hearing don't go that far.

You should put a fan or strong case cooling on any 7200 hard drive
reguardless of maker, so slight differences in heat shouldn't really
be an issue. Even the coldest ones need cooling.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 7:44:41 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"billybronco" <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> both?.
>
> I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
> components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a
constant
> deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor
and
> can be heard around the house.
>
> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise,
Ive
> found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Hitachi drives run faster, quieter and cooler.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 12:36:17 PM

In message <3E7vc.1724$sH5.16974021@news-text.cableinet.net>,
billybronco <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> writes
>Thanks for all you replies. The case is an Antec 1080amg

Coincidence time.... that's what I'm using on this machine now.
Without opening it up to check...... this has a removable drive caddy
unit yes? It could very well be the whole caddy itself that's vibrating
(is the clamping lever all the way in??)
Take the whole thing out run the machine with the caddy on something
like a piece of soft cardboard. Should be easy to find out the source of
the prob them (although its probable the noise will have gone now)

As an aside, someone else mentioned rubber mounts not transferring heat.
Even with the drives screwed directly into the metal of the case, they
will still get hot. The Antec has a mounting for a front case fan that
blows over the drive bays. You hardly need any air movement to
substantially cool these drives down.... but with none at all, you're
asking for problems. Get an 80mm quiet fan and run it slow.
Also, you don't have the two drives stacked right on top of each other
do you ?? this will really cook them. space them out. There's plenty of
room in that caddy!

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 12:52:50 PM

billybronco wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> both?.

Yeah, that fluid bearing series, by, darn, who makes those things again?
Maxtor I think.

<snip>>
> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise, Ive
> found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/section14.html

I've read very good things about people who use some sort of elastic
chord instead of a normal screw mounting.

--
Groeten/Regards
Jeroen Wijnands

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:54:14 GMT, "billybronco"
<ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> wrote:

>I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
>components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a constant
>deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor and
>can be heard around the house.

7200rpm drive = 120Hz vibrating noise of turning platters
5400 = 90Hz

this frequencies are both in Bass audio band ...
if you can hear it all arround, there is something also resonating:
the room, furniture .. etc ..

>Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise, Ive
>found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
>returns when I let go.

use some gommets under screws ... (can help also under case too)
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Spajky wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:54:14 GMT, "billybronco"
> <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> wrote:
>

>>I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
>>components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a constant
>>deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor and
>>can be heard around the house.
>

> 7200rpm drive = 120Hz vibrating noise of turning platters
> 5400 = 90Hz
>
> this frequencies are both in Bass audio band ...

True enough but there's a lot more going on than simply pure rotation of
the platters. For one, there's bearings, which can introduce noise of their
own (and lord knows what frequency that will be). Second, it's probably
being direct driven by a 9 pole brushless motor that's introducing multiple
vibrational pulses per rotation, not to mention potential vibration in the
windings themselves (and if it's a delta winding they're being activated
twice with opposite polarity), or their mounts.

> if you can hear it all arround, there is something also resonating:
> the room, furniture .. etc ..
>
>>Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise, Ive
>>found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
>>returns when I let go.
>

> use some gommets under screws ... (can help also under case too)
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 4:10:42 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

samsung p80 drives are the quietest currently available.

www.silentpcreview.com

"billybronco" <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> both?.
>
> I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
> components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a
constant
> deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through the floor
and
> can be heard around the house.
>
> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise,
Ive
> found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 4:42:15 PM

billybronco wrote:
> "Gareth Jones" <usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> This sounds like its a bad mounting in the case rather than the
>> drives themselves.
>> Cheap case?
>> Not screwed in right?
>> Only one/two screws?
>> No rubber mounts??
>>
>> Without checking, I can't be certain, but I thought the latest
>> barracudas were one of the quietest drives out there and are
>> recommended for quiet applications ??
>>

> Thanks for all you replies. The case is an Antec 1080amg, I think its
> an ok case (it cost a lot!). The hard drives are actually 2 seagate
> barracuda 3 ata 100 40 gb, perhaps these are a little noisier than
> the newer models??.
>
> Otherwise they are screwed in tight all 4 screws, only thing I dont
> have is rubber mounts, ill look into this.
>
> thanks again everyone.

I have just bought a Samsung Spinpoint after reading good reviews of it and
I can say it is considerably quieter than my Seagate Barra (Only 6 months
old) and I thought the Seagate was quiet.
--
~misfit~

---
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 8:49:30 PM

I have a 20 Gb Maxtor that looks to have an airplain turbine spining on it
and also have a Maxtor 200Gb that is very silent (7200 rpm sata).
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2004 9:25:34 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, Don Taylor ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> "billybronco" <ferrous_sulphate@iron_defiency.iron> writes:
>>"Gareth Jones" <usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> No rubber mounts??
>
>>Otherwise they are screwed in tight all 4 screws, only thing I dont
>>have is rubber mounts, ill look into this.
>
> Since you mentioned noise and heat, others have said in the past that
> rubber mounts cut down the conduction of heat from the drive to the
> cage and this can be a substantial part of the cooling for drives,
> unless you add fans and that adds more noise...
> Sometimes it seems like you just can't win.

Zalman have a heatpipe passive HD cooler, that also comes with rubber
mounts for the drive. I only have one, and will be buying more for future
drives, cheaper and its better looking too than the fan'ed coolers.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2004 2:31:06 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Barracuda V were the first of the very quiet Seagate drives
from memory. The current model 7200.7 are almost as quiet. Some
people say they are slightly noiser, but others can't tell the
difference. I have the 7200.7 and find it silent in operation.

> "Gareth Jones" <usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > This sounds like its a bad mounting in the case rather than the drives
> > themselves.
> > Cheap case?
> > Not screwed in right?
> > Only one/two screws?
> > No rubber mounts??
> >
> > Without checking, I can't be certain, but I thought the latest
> > barracudas were one of the quietest drives out there and are recommended
> > for quiet applications ??
> >

> Thanks for all you replies. The case is an Antec 1080amg, I think its an
ok
> case (it cost a lot!). The hard drives are actually 2 seagate barracuda 3
> ata 100 40 gb, perhaps these are a little noisier than the newer models??.
>
> Otherwise they are screwed in tight all 4 screws, only thing I dont have
is
> rubber mounts, ill look into this.
>
> thanks again everyone.

June 3, 2004 3:34:25 AM

In article <40bd9562$0$560$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
gebruiklieverhetreplyto@wijnands.xs4all.nl says...
> billybronco wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> > known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> > both?.
> >
> Yeah, that fluid bearing series, by, darn, who makes those things again?
> Maxtor I think.

Maxtor, Hitachi/IBM, Seagate, and WD all make fluid bearing hard
drives, you just have to check the specs on the drive models.

Bill
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2004 3:57:58 AM

billybronco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> both?.
>
> I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
> components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a
> constant deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through
> the floor and can be heard around the house.
>
> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise,
> Ive found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Ok, you have lots of opinions.

Here is a fact:

Drives with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB) are quieter than those without. At
least idling. :-p Some drives seem to make a lot of noise seeking whilst
others don't.

Yes, it's a generalisation, but nevertheless if you take two similar drives,
one with and one without, the one with FDB will be quietest.

Ben
June 3, 2004 1:14:58 PM

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 05:22:16 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>> 7200rpm drive = 120Hz vibrating noise of turning platters
>> 5400 = 90Hz
>>
>> this frequencies are both in Bass audio band ...
>
>True enough but there's a lot more going on than simply pure rotation of
>the platters.

yes, sure, but if he can hear it all thru the house, that is gonna be
a true problem .. /low frequencies spread around very easily & are not
so easy to kill .../

>For one, there's bearings, which can introduce noise of their
>own (and lord knows what frequency that will be).

uh, thats really annoying; I resolved that irritatting problem with my
own solution (under comp/mods on my site) ..

>Second, it's probably
>being direct driven by a 9 pole brushless motor that's introducing multiple
>vibrational pulses per rotation, not to mention potential vibration in the
>windings themselves (and if it's a delta winding they're being activated
>twice with opposite polarity), or their mounts.

yes, but IMHO the frequencies to spread around IMHO would be of much
higher tone & not so strong ..
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Spajky wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 05:22:16 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>>7200rpm drive = 120Hz vibrating noise of turning platters
>>>5400 = 90Hz
>>>
>>>this frequencies are both in Bass audio band ...
>>
>>True enough but there's a lot more going on than simply pure rotation of
>>the platters.
>

> yes, sure, but if he can hear it all thru the house, that is gonna be
> a true problem .. /low frequencies spread around very easily & are not
> so easy to kill .../

Well, not at easy to kill but higher frequencies bounce great. You ever try
to FIND where a high frequency tone is coming from?

I used to make a wedding night light activated 'alarm' that used a high
pitched tone and it was hell to find. hehe

>>For one, there's bearings, which can introduce noise of their
>>own (and lord knows what frequency that will be).
>

> uh, thats really annoying; I resolved that irritatting problem with my
> own solution (under comp/mods on my site) ..
>

>>Second, it's probably
>>being direct driven by a 9 pole brushless motor that's introducing multiple
>>vibrational pulses per rotation, not to mention potential vibration in the
>>windings themselves (and if it's a delta winding they're being activated
>>twice with opposite polarity), or their mounts.
>

> yes, but IMHO the frequencies to spread around IMHO would be of much
> higher tone & not so strong ..

First low. Now high. Make up your mind.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2004 1:59:48 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

have to second what misfit said - the samsung spinpoint series (esp. the
S-ATA drives) are near silent. hitchis (formerly IBM) are also very quiet
in S-ATA iterations.

barracuda series (except perhaps the latest variants) were notorious for
their noise.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2004 6:38:06 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

The new Hitachi,ibm Drives are the Quietest and fastest 7200rpm drives
you can buy :) , though i don't know if you can trust them :0

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:57:58 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>billybronco wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
>> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
>> both?.
>>
>> I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
>> components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a
>> constant deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through
>> the floor and can be heard around the house.
>>
>> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise,
>> Ive found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears, but
>> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
>> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
>> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
>Ok, you have lots of opinions.
>
>Here is a fact:
>
>Drives with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB) are quieter than those without. At
>least idling. :-p Some drives seem to make a lot of noise seeking whilst
>others don't.
>
>Yes, it's a generalisation, but nevertheless if you take two similar drives,
>one with and one without, the one with FDB will be quietest.
>
>Ben
June 4, 2004 6:38:07 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Why do you say 'you don't know if you can trust them'?
"We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:rtkub0pef24sapts5pdk3jchiku9tlevrh@4ax.com...

> The new Hitachi,ibm Drives are the Quietest and fastest 7200rpm drives
> you can buy :) , though i don't know if you can trust them :0
>

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:57:58 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >billybronco wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Are there any harddrives that are known for being quiet? And any that are
> >> known for operating at a low(er) temperature, and any that are preferably
> >> both?.
> >>
> >> I have 2 seagate barracuda drives in my box and they are the noisiest
> >> components in there. After the box has been on a while, they make a
> >> constant deep humming noise that is very annoying and vibrates through
> >> the floor and can be heard around the house.
> >>
> >> Any one have any cheap and cheerful tips on how to eliminate this noise,
> >> Ive found that if i press against the box case, this sound disappears,
but
> >> returns when I let go. I have eliminated most of the noise in my machine
> >> with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the
purpose.
> >> Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.
> >
> >Ok, you have lots of opinions.
> >
> >Here is a fact:
> >
> >Drives with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB) are quieter than those without.
At
> >least idling. :-p Some drives seem to make a lot of noise seeking whilst
> >others don't.
> >
> >Yes, it's a generalisation, but nevertheless if you take two similar
drives,
> >one with and one without, the one with FDB will be quietest.
> >
> >Ben

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2004 6:38:08 AM

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:34:42 GMT, "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom>
wrote:

>Why do you say 'you don't know if you can trust them'?

Maybe cos it's the new name for the old IBM DeskStars [ DeathStars ]

BoroLad

>"We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
>message news:rtkub0pef24sapts5pdk3jchiku9tlevrh@4ax.com...
>>
>> The new Hitachi,ibm Drives are the Quietest and fastest 7200rpm drives
>> you can buy :) , though i don't know if you can trust them :0
>>

>> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:57:58 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>but
>purpose.

>> >Ok, you have lots of opinions.
>> >
>> >Here is a fact:
>> >
>> >Drives with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB) are quieter than those without.
>At
>> >least idling. :-p Some drives seem to make a lot of noise seeking whilst
>> >others don't.
>> >
>> >Yes, it's a generalisation, but nevertheless if you take two similar
>drives,
>> >one with and one without, the one with FDB will be quietest.
>> >
>> >Ben

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2004 6:38:08 AM

Unknown wrote:
> Why do you say 'you don't know if you can trust them'?

I know far too many people that had a deathstar that died. It was supposed
to be the GXP75 that were bad (amongst other earlier ones), but I had a
GXP60 die on me. A housemate had a GXP75 die on him the same year.

Ben
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2004 11:04:15 AM

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:59:08 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Unknown wrote:
>> Why do you say 'you don't know if you can trust them'?

>I know far too many people that had a deathstar that died. It was supposed
>to be the GXP75 that were bad (amongst other earlier ones), but I had a
>GXP60 die on me. A housemate had a GXP75 die on him the same year.

I had two die last year, mind you they out - lived by about a year the
majority of failures.

>Ben
BoroLad
June 4, 2004 4:59:46 PM

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 03:11:30 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>Well, not at easy to kill but higher frequencies bounce great. You ever try
>to FIND where a high frequency tone is coming from?

yes I did, ... usually from HD bearings; but many time from PSU or
even MoBo ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

My two cents worth gents.
An old friend of mine dropped off his daughters computer to me here at
my home for me to re-install Windows etc for her. All the time I had this
computer on my desk, I had no problems with the sound level of it and the
case was sitting about a foot away from my right elbow so if any part of it
was noisy, I am sure I would have noticed.
After the computer was running to my satisfaction, I took it back to the
daughters home where I connected everything back up for her and switched it
on to show her a few new things I had added for her kids.

I could not believe the noise it made sitting there on her polished hardwood
floor. She didn`t seem to notice the noise level of the computer and said it
had sounded like that from the day it was installed for her.
I told my friend about it and he got a suitable sized piece of insertion
rubber and sat the computer on that. This stopped the computer from
transmitting it`s noise directly into the wooden floorboards and of course
echoing throughout the house. Could this be your problem too ?
June 5, 2004 3:57:20 AM

!