augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

Just replaced my wife's Palomino XP2000 with a Barton 2500. Been upgrading
the system bit by bit, and this is the latest addition. Has a Soltek
SL-75FRN2 dual channel m/b, one stick Samsung PC2700, new 450 W Powersupply,
new 60 gig HDD. All working fine with the Palomino. Stick in the Barton,
with AS5 and the stock hs/f, put the m/b jumper to the 166/200 position, and
boot. Memory timings and CPU settings all stock. Locks up repeatedly on
bootup and reboots when getting to login screen. The odd time it gets to
Windows it locks up. Check the temps in BIOS.....all low...42C on the CPU.
So I underclock to 133FSB....all perfectly normal...boots fine as an XP1900.
Try 166FSB again...same thing. So I overclock to 175FSB....boots and runs
normally. Notice a slight instability when running the odd program, so boost
vcore to 1.725, everything fine. Running at 44C CPU. OK. So put the fsb back
to 166, still at 1.700 vcore....unstable. What the hell gives here? I don't
have a problem running the thing at a mild o/c, but it should run no problem
at stock settings.

Make sure the FSB/RAM clock ratio is set equal (or synchronous)...Possibly
if set to 'auto' it may be detecting your memory incorrectly and running it
at 200MHz rather than 166MHz.

Augustus wrote:
> Just replaced my wife's Palomino XP2000 with a Barton 2500. Been
> upgrading the system bit by bit, and this is the latest addition. Has
> a Soltek SL-75FRN2 dual channel m/b, one stick Samsung PC2700, new
> 450 W Powersupply, new 60 gig HDD. All working fine with the
> Palomino. Stick in the Barton, with AS5 and the stock hs/f, put the
> m/b jumper to the 166/200 position, and boot. Memory timings and CPU
> settings all stock. Locks up repeatedly on bootup and reboots when
> getting to login screen. The odd time it gets to Windows it locks up.
> Check the temps in BIOS.....all low...42C on the CPU. So I underclock
> to 133FSB....all perfectly normal...boots fine as an XP1900. Try
> 166FSB again...same thing. So I overclock to 175FSB....boots and runs
> normally. Notice a slight instability when running the odd program,
> so boost vcore to 1.725, everything fine. Running at 44C CPU. OK. So
> put the fsb back to 166, still at 1.700 vcore....unstable. What the
> hell gives here? I don't have a problem running the thing at a mild
> o/c, but it should run no problem at stock settings.

You said SL-75FRN2. I have an SL-75FRN2-L which is the Ultra 400 nVidia
chipset, designed to run stable at 200Mhz FSB. I'm not sure that your board
is guaranteed to actually run at 200. Could be wrong. <g>.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
--
~misfit~

---

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> You said SL-75FRN2. I have an SL-75FRN2-L which is the Ultra 400 nVidia
> chipset, designed to run stable at 200Mhz FSB. I'm not sure that your
board
> is guaranteed to actually run at 200. Could be wrong. <g>.
>
> Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
> --

My m/b's the exact same one as yours. It's got the latest BIOS installed.
The m/b should be rock stable at stock 166FSB with the Barton. For some
reason it isn't. My system is a Barton 2500 at 3200 (200fsb) with a Vantec
Aeroflow running dual channel on the same m/b. Upped my vcore to 1.75 and
it's never misbehaved. I've built 3 other identical Barton/Soltek combos for
others, just running at stock 166 FSB, and they're flawless. I've been
running Prime95 for the last 3 hours on the problem system (at 175FSB/1.700
vcore) and it's error free, stable, and maxed out CPU core is 60C, external
is 54C. So it's obviously stable at this FSB. And if the RAM was flaky it
would show up here. So why won't it run at a stock 166?

> > You said SL-75FRN2. I have an SL-75FRN2-L which is the Ultra 400 nVidia
> > chipset, designed to run stable at 200Mhz FSB. I'm not sure that your
> board
> > is guaranteed to actually run at 200. Could be wrong. <g>.
> >
> > Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
> > --
>
> My m/b's the exact same one as yours. It's got the latest BIOS installed.
> The m/b should be rock stable at stock 166FSB with the Barton. For some
> reason it isn't. My system is a Barton 2500 at 3200 (200fsb) with a Vantec
> Aeroflow running dual channel on the same m/b. Upped my vcore to 1.75 and
> it's never misbehaved. I've built 3 other identical Barton/Soltek combos
for
> others, just running at stock 166 FSB, and they're flawless. I've been
> running Prime95 for the last 3 hours on the problem system (at
175FSB/1.700
> vcore) and it's error free, stable, and maxed out CPU core is 60C,
external
> is 54C. So it's obviously stable at this FSB. And if the RAM was flaky it
> would show up here. So why won't it run at a stock 166?

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?threadid=276333
You don't seem to be the first having @ least some kind of problems with
this MB
Denny. :)

Augustus wrote:
>> You said SL-75FRN2. I have an SL-75FRN2-L which is the Ultra 400
>> nVidia chipset, designed to run stable at 200Mhz FSB. I'm not sure
>> that your board is guaranteed to actually run at 200. Could be
>> wrong. <g>.
>>
>> Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
>> --
>
> My m/b's the exact same one as yours. It's got the latest BIOS
> installed. The m/b should be rock stable at stock 166FSB with the
> Barton. For some reason it isn't. My system is a Barton 2500 at 3200
> (200fsb) with a Vantec Aeroflow running dual channel on the same
> m/b. Upped my vcore to 1.75 and it's never misbehaved. I've built 3
> other identical Barton/Soltek combos for others, just running at
> stock 166 FSB, and they're flawless. I've been running Prime95 for
> the last 3 hours on the problem system (at 175FSB/1.700 vcore) and
> it's error free, stable, and maxed out CPU core is 60C, external is
> 54C. So it's obviously stable at this FSB. And if the RAM was flaky
> it would show up here. So why won't it run at a stock 166?

I have no idea. Like you said, "Wierd one".
--
~misfit~

---

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
> "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
>>> You said SL-75FRN2. I have an SL-75FRN2-L which is the Ultra 400
>>> nVidia chipset, designed to run stable at 200Mhz FSB. I'm not sure
>>> that your board is guaranteed to actually run at 200. Could be
>>> wrong. <g>.
>>>
>>> Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
>>> --
>>
>> My m/b's the exact same one as yours. It's got the latest BIOS
>> installed. The m/b should be rock stable at stock 166FSB with the
>> Barton. For some reason it isn't. My system is a Barton 2500 at 3200
>> (200fsb) with a Vantec Aeroflow running dual channel on the same
>> m/b. Upped my vcore to 1.75 and it's never misbehaved. I've built 3
>> other identical Barton/Soltek combos for others, just running at
>> stock 166 FSB, and they're flawless. I've been running Prime95 for
>> the last 3 hours on the problem system (at 175FSB/1.700 vcore) and
>> it's error free, stable, and maxed out CPU core is 60C, external is
>> 54C. So it's obviously stable at this FSB. And if the RAM was flaky
>> it would show up here. So why won't it run at a stock 166?
>>

> http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?threadid=276333
> You don't seem to be the first having @ least some kind of problems
> with this MB
> Denny. :)

Uhuh. I've set up four of them now, all at 200Mhz (or 400Mhz if you're into
that) FSB, all Prime95 stable.

BTW, the original post in the thread is talking about a different model
mobo, SL-75FRN2-RL which I believe has SATA.
--
~misfit~

---

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote in message
> Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
> > "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

> >> My m/b's the exact same one as yours. It's got the latest BIOS
> >> installed. The m/b should be rock stable at stock 166FSB with the
> >> Barton. For some reason it isn't. My system is a Barton 2500 at 3200
> >> (200fsb) with a Vantec Aeroflow running dual channel on the same
> >> m/b. Upped my vcore to 1.75 and it's never misbehaved. I've built 3
> >> other identical Barton/Soltek combos for others, just running at
> >> stock 166 FSB, and they're flawless. I've been running Prime95 for
> >> the last 3 hours on the problem system (at 175FSB/1.700 vcore) and
> >> it's error free, stable, and maxed out CPU core is 60C, external is
> >> 54C. So it's obviously stable at this FSB. And if the RAM was flaky
> >> it would show up here. So why won't it run at a stock 166?
> >>

> > http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?threadid=276333
> > You don't seem to be the first having @ least some kind of problems
> > with this MB
> > Denny. :)
>
> Uhuh. I've set up four of them now, all at 200Mhz (or 400Mhz if you're
into
> that) FSB, all Prime95 stable.
>
> BTW, the original post in the thread is talking about a different model
> mobo, SL-75FRN2-RL which I believe has SATA.
> --
> ~misfit~
>

> ---

Oh yeah, it is.