Disappointed with Barton 2500+

DS

Stats:
Asus A7N8X v2.0 w/1006 bios
laser locked Barton 2500+
Aerocool "glacier" (80mm fan w/copper base & bonded fins); Arctic silver5
Corsair XMS PC3200 2x256 dual channel
350w PSU

Beef:
I can't seem to get my fsb up to the 200mhz holy grail with the Barton
2500+. I've tried the 'wire in the socket' trick to allow me to change the
multiplier in the bios, but this does not seem to work. Does anyone know of
a way to 'unlock' the multiplier similar to the old wire trick? I'm thinking
that if I could drop the multiplier a bit then I may be able to pull it off.

Anyway, I think I can get 180x11 running with a vcore of about 7.5v (haven't
actually tested it yet), but beyond that I can't seem to get any more speed.
Any suggestions from those who have had more luck?

I'm not sure what the limiting factor is since the idle temperature is
around 41C/105F.. not sure what the load temp is, but I doubt that it would
be astronomical.

Thanks for any pointers
-Dan

DS

"DS" <nojunkmail.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Stats:
> Asus A7N8X v2.0 w/1006 bios
> laser locked Barton 2500+
> Aerocool "glacier" (80mm fan w/copper base & bonded fins); Arctic silver5
> Corsair XMS PC3200 2x256 dual channel
> 350w PSU

Something else I was thinking was that the fsb may be locked down on the
CPU. I think I read somewhere that others were having problems with
achieving a 200mhz fsb until they severed the L12.. or something. Is this in
my head, or is there some truth to it? Please fill me in. Thanks again :)

-Dan

"DS" <nojunkmail.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Stats:
> Asus A7N8X v2.0 w/1006 bios
> laser locked Barton 2500+
> Aerocool "glacier" (80mm fan w/copper base & bonded fins); Arctic silver5
> Corsair XMS PC3200 2x256 dual channel
> 350w PSU

Try putting the Ram in single channel.

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

Sounds like you have the newer Barton 2500 I cant remember the serial number
of these but I do know there are 2 versions of the XP2500
I have the older version and it ran stright away at 200 FSB as a XP3000 with
no additional cooling.

Im sure someone can enlighten you on the 2 different serial numbers of the
XP2500

DS wrote:
> "DS" <nojunkmail.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Stats:
>> Asus A7N8X v2.0 w/1006 bios
>> laser locked Barton 2500+
>> Aerocool "glacier" (80mm fan w/copper base & bonded fins); Arctic silver5
>> Corsair XMS PC3200 2x256 dual channel
>> 350w PSU
>
> Something else I was thinking was that the fsb may be locked down on the
> CPU.

Even though you can change it to 180MHz?

It's not possible (currently) to lock the FSB.

> I think I read somewhere that others were having problems with
> achieving a 200mhz fsb until they severed the L12.. or something. Is this
> in my head, or is there some truth to it? Please fill me in. Thanks again
> :)

The bridges are there to tell the motherboard what FSB the chip should have.
This is pretty much the same as the L11 for Core Voltage, L5 for XP/MP, and
L3 for multiplier - except that the multiplier can be locked, since it's
done inside the chip.

FSB is external to the chip, so there's not much it can do, unless it gets a
reference from elsewhere.

There MIGHT be some info here on changing the multiplier of a locked Athlon,
but AFAIK it can't be done - I'll leave the reading to you.
http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e24.html

Ben

ozone

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

#1 Thing to do is update to 1007 Bios.
I remeber reading here some had problems running 200Mhz FSB with 1005/1006
Also you didnt say if you have PC2700 or PC3200 Ram...this could be the
problem....not all 2700Ram will go past 175/180 and some wont go much past
166.
OZoNE

ozone

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

"DS" <nojunkmail.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Stats:
> Asus A7N8X v2.0 w/1006 bios
> laser locked Barton 2500+
> Aerocool "glacier" (80mm fan w/copper base & bonded fins); Arctic silver5
> Corsair XMS PC3200 2x256 dual channel
> 350w PSU
>
> Beef:
> I can't seem to get my fsb up to the 200mhz holy grail with the Barton
> 2500+. I've tried the 'wire in the socket' trick to allow me to change the
> multiplier in the bios, but this does not seem to work. Does anyone know
of
> a way to 'unlock' the multiplier similar to the old wire trick? I'm
thinking
> that if I could drop the multiplier a bit then I may be able to pull it
off.

> Anyway, I think I can get 180x11 running with a vcore of about 7.5v
(haven't
> actually tested it yet), but beyond that I can't seem to get any more
speed.
> Any suggestions from those who have had more luck?
>
> I'm not sure what the limiting factor is since the idle temperature is
> around 41C/105F.. not sure what the load temp is, but I doubt that it
would
> be astronomical.
>
> Thanks for any pointers
> -Dan

Sorry didnt see the ram listed.
Ok you have the ram...make sure its set to 100% of cpu fsb and make sure to
lock the agp at 66.

DS

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> DS wrote:
> > "DS" <nojunkmail.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> >> Stats:
> >> Asus A7N8X v2.0 w/1006 bios
> >> laser locked Barton 2500+
> >> Aerocool "glacier" (80mm fan w/copper base & bonded fins); Arctic
silver5
> >> Corsair XMS PC3200 2x256 dual channel
> >> 350w PSU
> >
> > Something else I was thinking was that the fsb may be locked down on the
> > CPU.
>
> Even though you can change it to 180MHz?
>
> It's not possible (currently) to lock the FSB.
>
> > I think I read somewhere that others were having problems with
> > achieving a 200mhz fsb until they severed the L12.. or something. Is
this
> > in my head, or is there some truth to it? Please fill me in. Thanks
again
> > :)
>
> The bridges are there to tell the motherboard what FSB the chip should
have.
> This is pretty much the same as the L11 for Core Voltage, L5 for XP/MP,
and
> L3 for multiplier - except that the multiplier can be locked, since it's
> done inside the chip.
>
> FSB is external to the chip, so there's not much it can do, unless it gets
> reference from elsewhere.
>
> There MIGHT be some info here on changing the multiplier of a locked
Athlon,
> but AFAIK it can't be done - I'll leave the reading to you.
> http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e24.html
>
> Ben
> --

Hi Ben,
thanks for the info.. I checked up on the websites, and while I'm ok with
shorting out wires here and there, I really don't have the dexterity to
chisel away at those tiny bridges. Looks like a piece of cake in the
pictures, but I think its a bit beyond my abilities. I guess I'll just live
with it for now unless I find an easier way with some bios settings or
something. Thanks again.

-Dan

DS

"OZoNE" <ozonerr@zoominternet.net> wrote in message

> #1 Thing to do is update to 1007 Bios.
> I remeber reading here some had problems running 200Mhz FSB with 1005/1006
> Also you didnt say if you have PC2700 or PC3200 Ram...this could be the
> problem....not all 2700Ram will go past 175/180 and some wont go much past
> 166.
> OZoNE

Hey OZoNE,
I'll try flashing the bios tomorrow. According to Asus, all it does is the
following:
"1. Attention TARGA PC users, please download a BIOS file from TARGA
website!
2. Improve system stability with Hynix and PSC memory modules."

Hopefully it'll fix it up :)

The ram is PC3200, and from my understanding Corsair is pretty good stuff
(certainly was expensive enough...)

-Dan

ozone

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

> "OZoNE" <ozonerr@zoominternet.net> wrote in message
> >

> > #1 Thing to do is update to 1007 Bios.
> > I remeber reading here some had problems running 200Mhz FSB with
1005/1006
> > Also you didnt say if you have PC2700 or PC3200 Ram...this could be the
> > problem....not all 2700Ram will go past 175/180 and some wont go much
past
> > 166.
> > OZoNE
> >

> Hey OZoNE,
> I'll try flashing the bios tomorrow. According to Asus, all it does is the
> following:
> "1. Attention TARGA PC users, please download a BIOS file from TARGA
> website!
> 2. Improve system stability with Hynix and PSC memory modules."
>
> Hopefully it'll fix it up :)
>
> The ram is PC3200, and from my understanding Corsair is pretty good stuff
> (certainly was expensive enough...)
>
> -Dan

Yea I posted a oops...musta skipped right over ram speed part of orig post.
I have a Asus A7N8X and use the Uber bioos 1007...have also used Asus 1007.
It has taken both a 2100+ and now Barton Mobile 2500+ to 200Mhz with OCZ
PC3200.
It takes me 1.70Vcore for the 2100+ AUIHB 0303 and 1.65 for the mobile...no
I didnt get the damn number off cpu...was in hurry to see what it can do.
Anyways before I flashed I had 1005 and I couldnt touch 200Mhz fsb with the
2100+....So it maybe the bios but no guarentee.
Corsair is damn fine ram....But something else you can try is running a
single stick of ram...set fsb to 200....Multi should stay at 11.
and raise Vcore to 1.80 see if it boots....watch temps if so.....reboot and
lower vcore a little and keep goin till you hit instability.
For me it was 1.675 and 1.60 respectivley.
Hopefully you got a good barton and it runs as a 3200+....
One thing I am forgeting to ask....you do have a rev 2.0 board correct?
OZoNE

ozone

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

> "DS" <nojunkmail.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "OZoNE" <ozonerr@zoominternet.net> wrote in message
> > >

> > > #1 Thing to do is update to 1007 Bios.
> > > I remeber reading here some had problems running 200Mhz FSB with
> 1005/1006
> > > Also you didnt say if you have PC2700 or PC3200 Ram...this could be
the
> > > problem....not all 2700Ram will go past 175/180 and some wont go much
> past
> > > 166.
> > > OZoNE
> > >

> > Hey OZoNE,
> > I'll try flashing the bios tomorrow. According to Asus, all it does is
the
> > following:
> > "1. Attention TARGA PC users, please download a BIOS file from TARGA
> > website!
> > 2. Improve system stability with Hynix and PSC memory modules."
> >
> > Hopefully it'll fix it up :)
> >
> > The ram is PC3200, and from my understanding Corsair is pretty good
stuff
> > (certainly was expensive enough...)
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> Yea I posted a oops...musta skipped right over ram speed part of orig
post.
> I have a Asus A7N8X and use the Uber bioos 1007...have also used Asus
1007.
> It has taken both a 2100+ and now Barton Mobile 2500+ to 200Mhz with OCZ
> PC3200.
> It takes me 1.70Vcore for the 2100+ AUIHB 0303 and 1.65 for the
mobile...no
> I didnt get the damn number off cpu...was in hurry to see what it can do.
> Anyways before I flashed I had 1005 and I couldnt touch 200Mhz fsb with
the
> 2100+....So it maybe the bios but no guarentee.
> Corsair is damn fine ram....But something else you can try is running a
> single stick of ram...set fsb to 200....Multi should stay at 11.
> and raise Vcore to 1.80 see if it boots....watch temps if so.....reboot
and
> lower vcore a little and keep goin till you hit instability.
> For me it was 1.675 and 1.60 respectivley.
> Hopefully you got a good barton and it runs as a 3200+....
> One thing I am forgeting to ask....you do have a rev 2.0 board correct?
> OZoNE

Blahh to early...yes 2.0 board.

"DS" <nojunkmail.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Stats:
> Asus A7N8X v2.0 w/1006 bios
> laser locked Barton 2500+
> Aerocool "glacier" (80mm fan w/copper base & bonded fins); Arctic silver5
> Corsair XMS PC3200 2x256 dual channel
> 350w PSU
>
> Beef:
> I can't seem to get my fsb up to the 200mhz holy grail

Ermm .... sorry to disappoint, but 200 MHz is no longer the holy grail.
With the rise of the DFI NF2's, it's now 250+ MHz.
These boards will routinely do 265 MHz.

with the Barton
> 2500+. I've tried the 'wire in the socket' trick to allow me to change the
> multiplier in the bios, but this does not seem to work. Does anyone know
of
> a way to 'unlock' the multiplier similar to the old wire trick? I'm
thinking
> that if I could drop the multiplier a bit then I may be able to pull it
off.

> Anyway, I think I can get 180x11 running with a vcore of about 7.5v
(haven't
> actually tested it yet), but beyond that I can't seem to get any more
speed.
> Any suggestions from those who have had more luck?
>
> I'm not sure what the limiting factor is since the idle temperature is
> around 41C/105F.. not sure what the load temp is, but I doubt that it
would
> be astronomical.
>
> Thanks for any pointers
> -Dan

What's the best microATX mobo for overclocking a 2500? Does the DFI
mentioned below come in smaller sizes?

In article <c9nmb6$mpe$1@hercules.btinternet.com>, "Scumball"
<scumball@btinternet.com> wrote:

> "DS" <nojunkmail.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > Stats:
> > Asus A7N8X v2.0 w/1006 bios
> > laser locked Barton 2500+
> > Aerocool "glacier" (80mm fan w/copper base & bonded fins); Arctic silver5
> > Corsair XMS PC3200 2x256 dual channel
> > 350w PSU
> >
> > Beef:
> > I can't seem to get my fsb up to the 200mhz holy grail
>

> Ermm .... sorry to disappoint, but 200 MHz is no longer the holy grail.
> With the rise of the DFI NF2's, it's now 250+ MHz.
> These boards will routinely do 265 MHz.
>

> with the Barton
> > 2500+. I've tried the 'wire in the socket' trick to allow me to change the
> > multiplier in the bios, but this does not seem to work. Does anyone know
> of
> > a way to 'unlock' the multiplier similar to the old wire trick? I'm
> thinking
> > that if I could drop the multiplier a bit then I may be able to pull it
> off.
> >
> > Anyway, I think I can get 180x11 running with a vcore of about 7.5v
> (haven't
> > actually tested it yet), but beyond that I can't seem to get any more
> speed.
> > Any suggestions from those who have had more luck?
> >
> > I'm not sure what the limiting factor is since the idle temperature is
> > around 41C/105F.. not sure what the load temp is, but I doubt that it
> would
> > be astronomical.
> >
> > Thanks for any pointers
> > -Dan

"DS" <nojunkmail.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Stats:
> Asus A7N8X v2.0 w/1006 bios
> laser locked Barton 2500+
> Aerocool "glacier" (80mm fan w/copper base & bonded fins); Arctic silver5
> Corsair XMS PC3200 2x256 dual channel
> 350w PSU
>
> Beef:
> I can't seem to get my fsb up to the 200mhz holy grail with the Barton
> 2500+. I've tried the 'wire in the socket' trick to allow me to change the
> multiplier in the bios, but this does not seem to work. Does anyone know
of
> a way to 'unlock' the multiplier similar to the old wire trick? I'm
thinking
> that if I could drop the multiplier a bit then I may be able to pull it
off.

> Anyway, I think I can get 180x11 running with a vcore of about 7.5v
(haven't
> actually tested it yet), but beyond that I can't seem to get any more
speed.
> Any suggestions from those who have had more luck?
>
> I'm not sure what the limiting factor is since the idle temperature is
> around 41C/105F.. not sure what the load temp is, but I doubt that it
would
> be astronomical.
>
> Thanks for any pointers
> -Dan

Try running them ram out of sync
So processor @ 333
and Ram @ 400
just to MAKE SURE it's not the ram.
Your chip should really do it without problem. So I have to wonder if it's
the ram.. MAKE SURE that the ram is set correctly also.. Like if the board
was set to 166/333 and you ran the ram @ 200/400 then it would be set at
120%.. so if you up fsb and forget to change this then ur trying to shove
240/480 down the ram..
My .02

If the ram is fine @ 400 and the processor is at 333 then I guess your gonna
need to single step the fsb ..
I think it should hit the 200 without problem.

My barton 2500+ is a older one (unlock'd) and does fine at 200fsb (default
multi) .. that's why i figgure the new ones would be better (flaw'd logic?)

> > Yea I posted a oops...musta skipped right over ram speed part of orig
> post.
> > I have a Asus A7N8X and use the Uber bioos 1007...have also used Asus
> 1007.
> > It has taken both a 2100+ and now Barton Mobile 2500+ to 200Mhz with OCZ
> > PC3200.
> > It takes me 1.70Vcore for the 2100+ AUIHB 0303 and 1.65 for the
> mobile...no
> > I didnt get the damn number off cpu...was in hurry to see what it can
do.
> > Anyways before I flashed I had 1005 and I couldnt touch 200Mhz fsb with
> the
> > 2100+....So it maybe the bios but no guarentee.
> > Corsair is damn fine ram....But something else you can try is running a
> > single stick of ram...set fsb to 200....Multi should stay at 11.
> > and raise Vcore to 1.80 see if it boots....watch temps if so.....reboot
> and
> > lower vcore a little and keep goin till you hit instability.
> > For me it was 1.675 and 1.60 respectivley.
> > Hopefully you got a good barton and it runs as a 3200+....
> > One thing I am forgeting to ask....you do have a rev 2.0 board correct?
> > OZoNE
> >

> Blahh to early...yes 2.0 board.

2.0 board with 1005 and it goes to 200fbs just fine with my 2500+.
I have some problems with my pc starting somtimes (read lots of post saying
it's probably the batterys) but maybee I should try 1007 and see if it helps
;)