Newbie to overclocking - AMD 2500+ XP

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2004 1:49:09 PM

For quite some time I have heard about over clocking CPUs, How does one go
about it?

Thanks for the help!

Tranquil
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2004 11:41:04 PM

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:49:09 +0000, tranquil_p wrote:

> For quite some time I have heard about over clocking CPUs, How does one go
> about it?

chnage the multiplier and/or the FSB speed. May need to raise vcore. If
you change the FSB speed you may need to take other factors into account,
like PCI/agp/ram buses.

It's this simple. Multiplier x FSB clock = CPU speed. Although There's
more to it to get it to work properly.:-)

a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2004 1:10:49 AM

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:49:09 GMT, <tranquil_p@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>For quite some time I have heard about over clocking CPUs, How does one go
>about it?
>
>Thanks for the help!
>
>Tranquil
>

>http://www.google.com.au/search?q=overclocking+athlon+x...

562,000 hits!!!! with a simple Google search.
--
Avenger©
webweaver@CATihug.com.au

<tranquil_p@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:p uCvc.78338$9B6.8905@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...
> For quite some time I have heard about over clocking CPUs, How does one go
> about it?

I was a newbie a few months ago, and the people in this group helped me a
lot. So I guess I continue passing the fruits of wisdom.

A CPUs speed is determined by the multiplying of the Front Side Bus (FSB)
and the multiplier. For example, 200FSBx10mult=2000mhz(or 2ghz).

Both the FSB and multiplier setting can be found in your motherboards BIOS
settings, which must be manually changed.

Your Barton is most likely locked, which means the multiplier CANNOT be
changed. Because of this, you should buy some decent ram (PC3200 or higher)
so that you can up the FSB to 200. This will OC you to 3200+ (or 2.2g)
speeds.
!