Epson Stylus Color 880 printing error

Whenever I try to print a document I get the following error:
"Unable to monitor current status. Close all Epson Status Monitor 3
windows and the driver's property ... click Epson Status Monitor 3
icon button."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers four times and after
each installation the printer will work for that session. The next
time I reboot my computer, I get the above error message again. Using
the "Restore" option does not help - although one time it did, but
only for that session; after I rebooted I no longer was able to use my
printer. When I try to get the Epson Status Monitor 3 to check for
errors it will run for a long time but it is unable to locate the
problem.

I am using the most current Win XP drivers available from Epson.
Although I installed a digital camera (Canon EOS 20D) connection to
another USB port a while back to download my image files to my hard
drive, I had no problems with the printer during that time. Also I
have never sent any of the image files directly to the printer.

I recently reinstalled Win XP, but for some reason during the
installation process the installation program didn't recognize my new
modem and gave me only two online connection choices - DSL/Cable, or
LAN (I have dial-up on a single computer). I chose DSL/Cable.

System: Win XP Home SP2
Printer connection: USB001

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave Petterson
3 answers Last reply
More about epson stylus color printing error

    I suspect you don't have the motherboard drivers installed, and hardware
    is not properly recognized. You should have gotten a motherboard drivers
    CD with the computer.

    Dave wrote:

    > Whenever I try to print a document I get the following error:
    > "Unable to monitor current status. Close all Epson Status Monitor 3
    > windows and the driver's property ... click Epson Status Monitor 3
    > icon button."
    >
    > I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers four times and after
    > each installation the printer will work for that session. The next
    > time I reboot my computer, I get the above error message again. Using
    > the "Restore" option does not help - although one time it did, but
    > only for that session; after I rebooted I no longer was able to use my
    > printer. When I try to get the Epson Status Monitor 3 to check for
    > errors it will run for a long time but it is unable to locate the
    > problem.
    >
    > I am using the most current Win XP drivers available from Epson.
    > Although I installed a digital camera (Canon EOS 20D) connection to
    > another USB port a while back to download my image files to my hard
    > drive, I had no problems with the printer during that time. Also I
    > have never sent any of the image files directly to the printer.
    >
    > I recently reinstalled Win XP, but for some reason during the
    > installation process the installation program didn't recognize my new
    > modem and gave me only two online connection choices - DSL/Cable, or
    > LAN (I have dial-up on a single computer). I chose DSL/Cable.
    >
    > System: Win XP Home SP2
    > Printer connection: USB001
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Dave Petterson

    Bob,

    I didn't even know there were such things as motherboard drivers. I
    take it that these are installed separately when one reinstalls Win
    XP, is that correct?

    I have a Dell Dimension 8100, purchased in 2000. Originally the system
    came with Win ME, but I upgraded to Win XP Home when XP came out.
    Although I've reinstalled Win XP a number of times, I've never had
    problems with the printer until this last reinstall when the
    installation apparently didn't recognize my new modem and thought I
    was either connected to DSL/Cable or LAN. Even then, it worked
    correctly for about a month until recently.

    The only thing I've noticed after past reinstallations of Win XP is
    that the printer never shows up in the Device Manager. It shows up as
    a yellow question mark (or I assume this is the printer). However,
    since the printer worked okay, I never fiddled with it.

    Dave

    Bob I wrote:

    >I suspect you don't have the motherboard drivers installed, and hardware
    >is not properly recognized. You should have gotten a motherboard drivers
    >CD with the computer.
    >
    >Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Whenever I try to print a document I get the following error:
    >> "Unable to monitor current status. Close all Epson Status Monitor 3
    >> windows and the driver's property ... click Epson Status Monitor 3
    >> icon button."
    >>
    >> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers four times and after
    >> each installation the printer will work for that session. The next
    >> time I reboot my computer, I get the above error message again. Using
    >> the "Restore" option does not help - although one time it did, but
    >> only for that session; after I rebooted I no longer was able to use my
    >> printer. When I try to get the Epson Status Monitor 3 to check for
    >> errors it will run for a long time but it is unable to locate the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I am using the most current Win XP drivers available from Epson.
    >> Although I installed a digital camera (Canon EOS 20D) connection to
    >> another USB port a while back to download my image files to my hard
    >> drive, I had no problems with the printer during that time. Also I
    >> have never sent any of the image files directly to the printer.
    >>
    >> I recently reinstalled Win XP, but for some reason during the
    >> installation process the installation program didn't recognize my new
    >> modem and gave me only two online connection choices - DSL/Cable, or
    >> LAN (I have dial-up on a single computer). I chose DSL/Cable.
    >>
    >> System: Win XP Home SP2
    >> Printer connection: USB001
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Dave Petterson

    With an OEM configured "restore" CD the drivers would be installed
    automatically. If you simply upgraded with the XP disk you may have
    gotten by. I would suggest checking on the Dell site then for the ones
    for that model(Dell Demension 8100). That should correct the issue.

Epson Monitors Windows XP