Epson Stylus Color 880 printing error

July 21, 2005 12:54:15 AM

Whenever I try to print a document I get the following error:
"Unable to monitor current status. Close all Epson Status Monitor 3
windows and the driver's property ... click Epson Status Monitor 3
icon button."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers four times and after
each installation the printer will work for that session. The next
time I reboot my computer, I get the above error message again. Using
the "Restore" option does not help - although one time it did, but
only for that session; after I rebooted I no longer was able to use my
printer. When I try to get the Epson Status Monitor 3 to check for
errors it will run for a long time but it is unable to locate the
problem.

I am using the most current Win XP drivers available from Epson.
Although I installed a digital camera (Canon EOS 20D) connection to
another USB port a while back to download my image files to my hard
drive, I had no problems with the printer during that time. Also I
have never sent any of the image files directly to the printer.

I recently reinstalled Win XP, but for some reason during the
installation process the installation program didn't recognize my new
modem and gave me only two online connection choices - DSL/Cable, or
LAN (I have dial-up on a single computer). I chose DSL/Cable.

System: Win XP Home SP2
Printer connection: USB001

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave Petterson
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 21, 2005 11:49:38 AM

I suspect you don't have the motherboard drivers installed, and hardware
is not properly recognized. You should have gotten a motherboard drivers
CD with the computer.

Dave wrote:

> Whenever I try to print a document I get the following error:
> "Unable to monitor current status. Close all Epson Status Monitor 3
> windows and the driver's property ... click Epson Status Monitor 3
> icon button."
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers four times and after
> each installation the printer will work for that session. The next
> time I reboot my computer, I get the above error message again. Using
> the "Restore" option does not help - although one time it did, but
> only for that session; after I rebooted I no longer was able to use my
> printer. When I try to get the Epson Status Monitor 3 to check for
> errors it will run for a long time but it is unable to locate the
> problem.
>
> I am using the most current Win XP drivers available from Epson.
> Although I installed a digital camera (Canon EOS 20D) connection to
> another USB port a while back to download my image files to my hard
> drive, I had no problems with the printer during that time. Also I
> have never sent any of the image files directly to the printer.
>
> I recently reinstalled Win XP, but for some reason during the
> installation process the installation program didn't recognize my new
> modem and gave me only two online connection choices - DSL/Cable, or
> LAN (I have dial-up on a single computer). I chose DSL/Cable.
>
> System: Win XP Home SP2
> Printer connection: USB001
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Dave Petterson
July 22, 2005 11:34:45 AM

Bob,

I didn't even know there were such things as motherboard drivers. I
take it that these are installed separately when one reinstalls Win
XP, is that correct?

I have a Dell Dimension 8100, purchased in 2000. Originally the system
came with Win ME, but I upgraded to Win XP Home when XP came out.
Although I've reinstalled Win XP a number of times, I've never had
problems with the printer until this last reinstall when the
installation apparently didn't recognize my new modem and thought I
was either connected to DSL/Cable or LAN. Even then, it worked
correctly for about a month until recently.

The only thing I've noticed after past reinstallations of Win XP is
that the printer never shows up in the Device Manager. It shows up as
a yellow question mark (or I assume this is the printer). However,
since the printer worked okay, I never fiddled with it.

Dave

Bob I wrote:

>I suspect you don't have the motherboard drivers installed, and hardware
>is not properly recognized. You should have gotten a motherboard drivers
>CD with the computer.
>
>Dave wrote:
>
>> Whenever I try to print a document I get the following error:
>> "Unable to monitor current status. Close all Epson Status Monitor 3
>> windows and the driver's property ... click Epson Status Monitor 3
>> icon button."
>>
>> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers four times and after
>> each installation the printer will work for that session. The next
>> time I reboot my computer, I get the above error message again. Using
>> the "Restore" option does not help - although one time it did, but
>> only for that session; after I rebooted I no longer was able to use my
>> printer. When I try to get the Epson Status Monitor 3 to check for
>> errors it will run for a long time but it is unable to locate the
>> problem.
>>
>> I am using the most current Win XP drivers available from Epson.
>> Although I installed a digital camera (Canon EOS 20D) connection to
>> another USB port a while back to download my image files to my hard
>> drive, I had no problems with the printer during that time. Also I
>> have never sent any of the image files directly to the printer.
>>
>> I recently reinstalled Win XP, but for some reason during the
>> installation process the installation program didn't recognize my new
>> modem and gave me only two online connection choices - DSL/Cable, or
>> LAN (I have dial-up on a single computer). I chose DSL/Cable.
>>
>> System: Win XP Home SP2
>> Printer connection: USB001
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Dave Petterson
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 22, 2005 3:12:45 PM

With an OEM configured "restore" CD the drivers would be installed
automatically. If you simply upgraded with the XP disk you may have
gotten by. I would suggest checking on the Dell site then for the ones
for that model(Dell Demension 8100). That should correct the issue.

!