Setting printer custom page size

I have a Star dot matrix printer that uses 10 x 11 fanfold paper. If I set
the page size to "Letter" (page size 8.8 x 11.0), and print a few pages, no
problem - the printer feeds to the same place at the top of each page.
However, I only use a small part of each page, so I installed a custom form
with the page size 8.50 x 5.50, I do not get exactly 2 printed pages to one
page of paper. The printout creeps up the page by a small amount. I have to
set the page length to 5.55 to be approximately correct - I may still have to
adjust the paper slightly after 20-30 pages.

The reason I am testing this is that other people using the same program with
a variety of dot matrix printers have reported the same problem. That is, all
OK if using a predefined form, but problems if using custom sizes.

Has anyone heard of this problem, and if so, is there any way around it.

Thanks,
Joby

If you are "splitting" the smallest printer feed increment, I suppose
that could accumulate. Are you sending page feed to end the page or are
you line feeding? Another way to reset is to have the printer "unload"
and then "load" to reset the top of form.

Joby Larsen wrote:

> I have a Star dot matrix printer that uses 10 x 11 fanfold paper. If I set
> the page size to "Letter" (page size 8.8 x 11.0), and print a few pages, no
> problem - the printer feeds to the same place at the top of each page.
> However, I only use a small part of each page, so I installed a custom form
> with the page size 8.50 x 5.50, I do not get exactly 2 printed pages to one
> page of paper. The printout creeps up the page by a small amount. I have to
> set the page length to 5.55 to be approximately correct - I may still have to
> adjust the paper slightly after 20-30 pages.
>
> The reason I am testing this is that other people using the same program with
> a variety of dot matrix printers have reported the same problem. That is, all
> OK if using a predefined form, but problems if using custom sizes.
>
> Has anyone heard of this problem, and if so, is there any way around it.
>
> Thanks,
> Joby

Thank you for your interest, Bob.
The creep is far too large to be at the limits of the printer feed increment.
It seems to be something to do with the custom form. Everything is OK when I
use the standard "Letter" form. It seems that two 5.50 inch pages does not
equal one 11.00 inch page.

Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in

> If you are "splitting" the smallest printer feed increment, I suppose
> that could accumulate. Are you sending page feed to end the page or are
> you line feeding? Another way to reset is to have the printer "unload"
> and then "load" to reset the top of form.
>
> Joby Larsen wrote:
>
>> I have a Star dot matrix printer that uses 10 x 11 fanfold paper. If I
>> set the page size to "Letter" (page size 8.8 x 11.0), and print a few
>> pages, no problem - the printer feeds to the same place at the top of
>> each page. However, I only use a small part of each page, so I
>> installed a custom form with the page size 8.50 x 5.50, I do not get
>> exactly 2 printed pages to one page of paper. The printout creeps up
>> the page by a small amount. I have to set the page length to 5.55 to be
>> approximately correct - I may still have to adjust the paper slightly
>> after 20-30 pages.
>>
>> The reason I am testing this is that other people using the same
>> program with a variety of dot matrix printers have reported the same
>> problem. That is, all OK if using a predefined form, but problems if
>> using custom sizes.
>>
>> Has anyone heard of this problem, and if so, is there any way around
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joby

Perhaps lines per inch setting and lines per page can be adjusted? You
mention that it is the software that is doing it so it may be the reason
the problem exists.

Joby Larsen wrote:
> Thank you for your interest, Bob.
> The creep is far too large to be at the limits of the printer feed increment.
> It seems to be something to do with the custom form. Everything is OK when I
> use the standard "Letter" form. It seems that two 5.50 inch pages does not
> equal one 11.00 inch page.
>
> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>If you are "splitting" the smallest printer feed increment, I suppose
>>that could accumulate. Are you sending page feed to end the page or are
>>you line feeding? Another way to reset is to have the printer "unload"
>>and then "load" to reset the top of form.
>>
>>Joby Larsen wrote:
>>

>>>I have a Star dot matrix printer that uses 10 x 11 fanfold paper. If I
>>>set the page size to "Letter" (page size 8.8 x 11.0), and print a few
>>>pages, no problem - the printer feeds to the same place at the top of
>>>each page. However, I only use a small part of each page, so I
>>>installed a custom form with the page size 8.50 x 5.50, I do not get
>>>exactly 2 printed pages to one page of paper. The printout creeps up
>>>the page by a small amount. I have to set the page length to 5.55 to be
>>>approximately correct - I may still have to adjust the paper slightly
>>>after 20-30 pages.
>>>
>>>The reason I am testing this is that other people using the same
>>>program with a variety of dot matrix printers have reported the same
>>>problem. That is, all OK if using a predefined form, but problems if
>>>using custom sizes.
>>>
>>>Has anyone heard of this problem, and if so, is there any way around
>>>it.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Joby

I don't even get the option for custom printing page size on my dot matrix
printer. I need it, you are lucky.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Perhaps lines per inch setting and lines per page can be adjusted? You
> mention that it is the software that is doing it so it may be the reason
> the problem exists.
>
> Joby Larsen wrote:
> > Thank you for your interest, Bob.
> > The creep is far too large to be at the limits of the printer feed increment.
> > It seems to be something to do with the custom form. Everything is OK when I
> > use the standard "Letter" form. It seems that two 5.50 inch pages does not
> > equal one 11.00 inch page.
> >
> > Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in
> >

> >>If you are "splitting" the smallest printer feed increment, I suppose
> >>that could accumulate. Are you sending page feed to end the page or are
> >>you line feeding? Another way to reset is to have the printer "unload"
> >>and then "load" to reset the top of form.

Start, Help and Support, "print server", Set print server properties, Forms.

ssswilson wrote:
> I don't even get the option for custom printing page size on my dot matrix
> printer. I need it, you are lucky.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Perhaps lines per inch setting and lines per page can be adjusted? You
>>mention that it is the software that is doing it so it may be the reason
>>the problem exists.
>>
>>Joby Larsen wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you for your interest, Bob.
>>>The creep is far too large to be at the limits of the printer feed increment.
>>>It seems to be something to do with the custom form. Everything is OK when I
>>>use the standard "Letter" form. It seems that two 5.50 inch pages does not
>>>equal one 11.00 inch page.
>>>
>>>Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in

Hi Bob, I'm sorry to bother you. Is your email address still
birelan@yahoo.com ? May I email you one question on UBS port ? Thanks.
john.w.lee@verizon.com

"Bob I" wrote:

> Start, Help and Support, "print server", Set print server properties, Forms.
>
> ssswilson wrote:
> > I don't even get the option for custom printing page size on my dot matrix
> > printer. I need it, you are lucky.
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>Perhaps lines per inch setting and lines per page can be adjusted? You
> >>mention that it is the software that is doing it so it may be the reason
> >>the problem exists.

That e-mail addy got spammed to death years ago, so I don't know if it
works any more. This group answers questions about USB, so I suggest you
post your question here as a new thread. That way others will see and
may have suggestions also.