Banner printing?

Last response: in Video Games
April 26, 2005 6:47:11 PM

I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my Printer
config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or I'd prefer
Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it to 8.5 x 11
regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured I'd ask before
continuing :)

So what should I use to print a banner?

More about : banner printing

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:47:12 PM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:47:11 +0000, Captain Rotundo wrote:

> I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my Printer
> config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or I'd prefer
> Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it to 8.5 x 11
> regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured I'd ask before
> continuing :)
>
> So what should I use to print a banner?

http://www.scribus.org.uk
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:47:12 PM

Captain Rotundo wrote on 26. April 2005:

> I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my Printer
> config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or I'd prefer
> Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it to 8.5 x 11
> regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured I'd ask before
> continuing :)
>
> So what should I use to print a banner?

On Linux (hi the Lamb btw., saw your other article ;-) there is a program
called "banner", IIRC...

I see CUPS has an option to print banners anyway, so as CUPS might be the
standard printing system on your PC you're already done. :-)
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;

adobe acrobat prints large and custom format i think.

"Captain Rotundo" <rotundo@XXX.dweasel.XXX.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.04.26.14.51.55.705606@XXX.dweasel.XXX.com...
> I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my Printer
> config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or I'd prefer
> Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it to 8.5 x 11
> regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured I'd ask before
> continuing :)
>
> So what should I use to print a banner?
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:13:07 PM

Captain Rotundo <rotundo@XXX.dweasel.XXX.com> wrote in
news:p an.2005.04.26.14.51.55.705606@XXX.dweasel.XXX.com:

> I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my
> Printer config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or
> I'd prefer Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it
> to 8.5 x 11 regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured
> I'd ask before continuing :)
>
> So what should I use to print a banner?

Perhaps setting a custom paper size of say...8 1/2 x the size of your
banner would work?

--
Do you want a free Gaming Console?
http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:29:57 -0600, innocent_lamb wrote:

>> So what should I use to print a banner?
>
> http://www.scribus.org.uk

I never think to try the KDE/QT apps. Thanks.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:54:12 AM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:28:06 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

>> So what should I use to print a banner?
>
> On Linux (hi the Lamb btw., saw your other article ;-) there is a program
> called "banner", IIRC...

banner generates a large ASCII banner of your text. NOT a printer banner :)

> I see CUPS has an option to print banners anyway, so as CUPS might be the
> standard printing system on your PC you're already done. :-)

I think the CUPS banner is a single page print report with each print,
like a cover page for a fax.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:02:53 AM

Captain Rotundo wrote on 26. April 2005:

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:28:06 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>
>>> So what should I use to print a banner?
>>
>> On Linux (hi the Lamb btw., saw your other article ;-) there is a program
>> called "banner", IIRC...
>
> banner generates a large ASCII banner of your text. NOT a printer banner :)

Can't he use this?

>> I see CUPS has an option to print banners anyway, so as CUPS might be the
>> standard printing system on your PC you're already done. :-)
>
> I think the CUPS banner is a single page print report with each print,
> like a cover page for a fax.

IC. Never tried it. Not even have a working printer here. :-(
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;
April 27, 2005 10:58:15 AM

Captain Rotundo wrote:
> I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my Printer
> config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or I'd prefer
> Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it to 8.5 x 11
> regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured I'd ask before
> continuing :)
>
> So what should I use to print a banner?

Seeing as how you have come to a ng about the old and wonderful, may I
suggest 'Bannermania' (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=782), an
old, though nifty app to make the /coolest/ banners you could ever want.
I would advise you getting an old dot-matrix printer (24-pin is best,
but not necessary) from your local Sally-Ann or Good Will, though, as
banners can use up a /lot/ of ink/toner. (You might want to set it up
in your garage, though, as they are /noisy/.

If you want to make a sign or permanent banner on wood or whatever, only
print the outline (thus saving ink), then place carbon paper behind it.
Using a tailor's tracing wheel, go over the lines. When you are done,
you will have clearly defined dotted lines showing you /exactly/ where
to paint. I used this years ago when I started up a garage sale sign
rental business, and it worked /perfectly/.

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

Captain Rotundo wrote:
> I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my Printer
> config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or I'd prefer
> Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it to 8.5 x 11
> regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured I'd ask before
> continuing :)
>
> So what should I use to print a banner?

I used Microsoft Word. Set a custom paper size then imported my graphic
file. Worked well for me :)

- Capn Stoobie.
April 27, 2005 6:52:08 PM

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> Captain Rotundo wrote on 26. April 2005:

>>>On Linux (hi the Lamb btw., saw your other article ;-) there is a program
>>>called "banner", IIRC...
>>
>>banner generates a large ASCII banner of your text. NOT a printer banner :)
>

> Can't he use this?
>

>>>I see CUPS has an option to print banners anyway, so as CUPS might be the
>>>standard printing system on your PC you're already done. :-)
>>
>>I think the CUPS banner is a single page print report with each print,
>>like a cover page for a fax.
>

> IC. Never tried it. Not even have a working printer here. :-(

Where is here nowadays anyway Andreas... last time I checked you were in
the south of France... or was it Italy?

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous

MCR wrote on 27. April 2005:

> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>> Captain Rotundo wrote on 26. April 2005:
>>
>>>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:28:06 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>>>

>>>I think the CUPS banner is a single page print report with each print,
>>>like a cover page for a fax.
>> IC. Never tried it. Not even have a working printer here. :-(
>

> Where is here nowadays anyway Andreas... last time I checked you were
> in the south of France... or was it Italy?

Last was south France (where the Airbus was launched today). Now in
Montreal/Canada.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;
April 27, 2005 7:55:22 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:58:15 +0000, Dead_Dad wrote:

> Captain Rotundo wrote:
>> I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my Printer
>> config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or I'd prefer
>> Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it to 8.5 x 11
>> regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured I'd ask before
>> continuing :)
>>
>> So what should I use to print a banner?
>
> Seeing as how you have come to a ng about the old and wonderful, may I
> suggest 'Bannermania' (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=782), an
> old, though nifty app to make the /coolest/ banners you could ever want.
> I would advise you getting an old dot-matrix printer (24-pin is best,
> but not necessary) from your local Sally-Ann or Good Will, though, as
> banners can use up a /lot/ of ink/toner. (You might want to set it up
> in your garage, though, as they are /noisy/.
>
> If you want to make a sign or permanent banner on wood or whatever, only
> print the outline (thus saving ink), then place carbon paper behind it.
> Using a tailor's tracing wheel, go over the lines. When you are done,
> you will have clearly defined dotted lines showing you /exactly/ where
> to paint. I used this years ago when I started up a garage sale sign
> rental business, and it worked /perfectly/.

Ahem, I have a large graphic and would like to print a control panel
overlay. its photo-realistic.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:45:09 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:19:04 +1000, Capn Stoobie wrote:

> Captain Rotundo wrote:
>> I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my Printer
>> config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or I'd prefer
>> Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it to 8.5 x 11
>> regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured I'd ask before
>> continuing :)
>>
>> So what should I use to print a banner?
>
> I used Microsoft Word. Set a custom paper size then imported my graphic
> file. Worked well for me :)
>
> - Capn Stoobie.

I'd like to find a program that wasn't so expensive :)
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:45:10 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:45:09 +0000, Captain Rotundo wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:19:04 +1000, Capn Stoobie wrote:
>
>> Captain Rotundo wrote:
>>> I bought some banner paper, and setup a Banner paper type in my Printer
>>> config (Epson CX4600). But I don't have a program (Windows or I'd
>>> prefer Linux) that will correctly print a Banner (They all chop it to
>>> 8.5 x 11 regardless) or at least the one I tried does, I figured I'd
>>> ask before continuing :)
>>>
>>> So what should I use to print a banner?
>>
>> I used Microsoft Word. Set a custom paper size then imported my graphic
>> file. Worked well for me :)
>>
>> - Capn Stoobie.
>
> I'd like to find a program that wasn't so expensive :)

http://www.openoffice.org (both Linux and Windows versions available)

It's free. So that means you don't qualify for a special discount. Sorry.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:45:11 PM

innocent_lamb wrote:

> http://www.openoffice.org (both Linux and Windows versions available)

This isn't another hampster-food link is it? Just checking.
--
FSogol
Anonymous

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:00:54 -0600, innocent_lamb wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:45:09 +0000, Captain Rotundo wrote:

>>> I used Microsoft Word. Set a custom paper size then imported my graphic
>>> file. Worked well for me :)
>>>
>>> - Capn Stoobie.
>>
>> I'd like to find a program that wasn't so expensive :)
>
> http://www.openoffice.org (both Linux and Windows versions available)

ah but will it print on banner paper correctly?

> It's free. So that means you don't qualify for a special discount. Sorry.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:49:27 AM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:49:26 +0000, Captain Rotundo wrote:

>> http://www.openoffice.org (both Linux and Windows versions available)
>
> ah but will it print on banner paper correctly?

That would be a function of CUPS, lpd, or the custom driver for your
printer, as the case may be.

You can layout anything that your little heart desires on OpenOffice. The
program ships your data to the printer and what happens after that is not
OpenOffice's problem, directly.

spadmin is what you want to use to check and modify printer settings for
OpenOffice directly. http://localhost:631/admin will allow you to
configure CUPS. LPD can be modified directly (/etc/lpd.conf) or by using
a tool like PDQ.
April 28, 2005 1:29:05 AM

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
Snipped

> Last was south France (where the Airbus was launched today). Now in
> Montreal/Canada.

WTF... Canada eh? Going lambing ;-)
--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:23:23 AM

MCR wrote on 27. April 2005:

> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> Snipped
>

>> Last was south France (where the Airbus was launched today). Now in
>> Montreal/Canada.
>
> WTF... Canada eh? Going lambing ;-)

Gone k.os-sing, eh. :-)

(That's an "o", not an "i" before the "s-s")

Apropos lamby: do you read your Tombstone addy? Will try to shoot you an
email later.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;
April 28, 2005 3:23:24 AM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:23:23 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

> Apropos lamby: do you read your Tombstone addy?

I do indeed.

Connected lamb!
April 28, 2005 3:39:25 AM

FSogol wrote:

> innocent_lamb wrote:
>

>> http://www.openoffice.org (both Linux and Windows versions available)
>>
> This isn't another hampster-food link is it? Just checking.

Careful clicking there mate, it could be lambs abound in a pasture!

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:54:02 AM

innocent_lamb wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:49:26 +0000, Captain Rotundo wrote:
>

>>>http://www.openoffice.org (both Linux and Windows versions available)
>>
>>ah but will it print on banner paper correctly?
>

> That would be a function of CUPS, lpd, or the custom driver for your
> printer, as the case may be.
>
> You can layout anything that your little heart desires on OpenOffice. The
> program ships your data to the printer and what happens after that is not
> OpenOffice's problem, directly.
>
> spadmin is what you want to use to check and modify printer settings for
> OpenOffice directly. http://localhost:631/admin will allow you to
> configure CUPS. LPD can be modified directly (/etc/lpd.conf) or by using
> a tool like PDQ.

I use the OO spreadsheet module for any banners/signs that I need. Just
set all margins to 0.5, add a plus sign to left & right headers &
footers (for registration), then print. I seem to recall that there are
a few other steps, but I can't recall what they are, as I haven't made
one in about six months, so you might want to use 'Print Preview' to
check things out before you print. BTW, 999.9pt = 13.85" <G>

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

innocent_lamb wrote on 27. April 2005:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:23:23 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>
>> Apropos lamby: do you read your Tombstone addy?
>
> I do indeed.
>
> Connected lamb!

I sent a mail, but now seem to have messed up my email account. Sorry if
you replied and it bounced. If not bounced it was either deleted or I get
it another day...