a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2004 8:38:33 PM

I have my 2100+ oc'd to 2.2g. But for some reason it reads "2600+" on
startup? Shouldn't it read 3200+ or at least the actual speed?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2004 8:38:34 PM

> > " I have my 2100+ oc'd to 2.2g. But for some reason it reads *2600+*
on
> > startup? Shouldn't it read 3200+ or at least the actual speed? "

If I recall correctly (and I could be wrong), one of the original
mandates from AMD when they went back to PR numbering was that a
motherboard's BIOS should *NOT* display the actual clock speed. That may
not hold true in all cases, but a lot of motherboard manufacturers go to
some good lengths to try and guess which PR number they should show.

Now, the PR number is decided upon by more things than just clock
speed - amount of cache and FSB are also factors. When you're running at
an FSB of 178, that's obviously not the 133, 166, or 200 that correspond
to actual PR numbers. Because there is no (I repeat, *NO*) correct PR
number for an AthlonXP with an FSB of 178, then the number that it guesses
may or may not correspond with what YOU think it should say. If you were
running an FSB of 133, 166, or 200, that would be different.

steve
!