Processor Fan Not Detected

Mike

Splendid

This isn't a big deal, but I'm curious if anyone knows where I might look to
solve this problem. I get a beep tone on my Dell during the boot process,
and before the Windows XP splash screen I see a message that says "Processor
fan not detected."

If this helps, I've realoaded my OS a time or two, so it doesn't have
anything to do with Windows.

This happened ever since a thunderstorm/lightning strike blew out a few
items. The fan still works, so my hunch is that the message is stored
somewhere and I don't know how to get it to stop coming up.

Thanks for any replies.

Is this Dell a laptop or a regular PC?

On the regular PC, the CPU fan usually requires a 3 wire pin connector.

Mike wrote:

> This isn't a big deal, but I'm curious if anyone knows where I might look to
> solve this problem. I get a beep tone on my Dell during the boot process,
> and before the Windows XP splash screen I see a message that says "Processor
> fan not detected."
>
> If this helps, I've realoaded my OS a time or two, so it doesn't have
> anything to do with Windows.
>
> This happened ever since a thunderstorm/lightning strike blew out a few
> items. The fan still works, so my hunch is that the message is stored
> somewhere and I don't know how to get it to stop coming up.
>
> Thanks for any replies.

Fan RPM monitoring circuit probably was part of the voltage surge
damage. The surge may have used the fan as a path to the lower voltage
circuitry on the motherboard. May require either CPU or motherboard
replacement to resolve.

Mike

Splendid

It's a Dimension 4400.

The motherboard was replaced, as was the hard drive, nic card and modem. I
guess something else fried causing the message to appear each boot, but the
fan still functions, oddly enough. Guess I'll just deal, as I have been for
some time.

Thanks for the replies.

"RobertVA" wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>
> > This isn't a big deal, but I'm curious if anyone knows where I might look to
> > solve this problem. I get a beep tone on my Dell during the boot process,
> > and before the Windows XP splash screen I see a message that says "Processor
> > fan not detected."
> >
> > If this helps, I've realoaded my OS a time or two, so it doesn't have
> > anything to do with Windows.
> >
> > This happened ever since a thunderstorm/lightning strike blew out a few
> > items. The fan still works, so my hunch is that the message is stored
> > somewhere and I don't know how to get it to stop coming up.
> >
> > Thanks for any replies.
>
> Fan RPM monitoring circuit probably was part of the voltage surge
> damage. The surge may have used the fan as a path to the lower voltage
> circuitry on the motherboard. May require either CPU or motherboard
> replacement to resolve.

Make sure the CPU fan is pluged into the correct location. The program
might be checking the proper connector and not finding anything there (if it
got plugged into the wrong place)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -